The Perfect Laptop? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on The Perfect Laptop? - Ubuntu ; I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where some things work and some don't. Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu? Ndis wrappers seem to be common for ...

  1. The Perfect Laptop?

    I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    some things work and some don't.
    Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?
    Ndis wrappers seem to be common for all laptops and not difficult to
    configure and set up. Other than Acer, Averatec what laptop can I get
    where everything actually works? Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq....
    I'm hoping to spend around $500 for the machine. But that is flexible.

  2. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    Justin wrote:
    > I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    > some things work and some don't.
    > Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?
    > Ndis wrappers seem to be common for all laptops and not difficult to
    > configure and set up. Other than Acer, Averatec what laptop can I get
    > where everything actually works? Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq....
    > I'm hoping to spend around $500 for the machine. But that is flexible.

    For that money you can get a two or three year-old ThinkPad and everything
    will work. I have a T-43 that I use every day and it works perfectly with
    8.04 and 8.10.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  3. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    in 74404 20081111 065247 Dale Beckett wrote:
    >Justin wrote:
    >> I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    >> some things work and some don't.
    >> Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?
    >> Ndis wrappers seem to be common for all laptops and not difficult to
    >> configure and set up. Other than Acer, Averatec what laptop can I get
    >> where everything actually works? Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq....
    >> I'm hoping to spend around $500 for the machine. But that is flexible.

    >For that money you can get a two or three year-old ThinkPad and everything
    >will work. I have a T-43 that I use every day and it works perfectly with
    >8.04 and 8.10.

    Same here with a T41. Graphics, wireless, sound, USB - all worked without fiddling.

  4. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    Justin wrote:

    > I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    > some things work and some don't.
    > Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?
    > Ndis wrappers seem to be common for all laptops and not difficult to
    > configure and set up. Other than Acer, Averatec what laptop can I get
    > where everything actually works? Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq....
    > I'm hoping to spend around $500 for the machine. But that is flexible.

    I've had complete success with the IBM / Lenovo machines. I have a T41 and a
    T51, both of which have 8.04 on them. Everything worked perfectly first
    time, including sound, wireless and video, without intervention.

    C.

  5. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    Justin wrote:

    > I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    > some things work and some don't.
    > Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?

    I have run Ubuntu 8.04 on a Samsung R70.
    It appears to do everything OK, even the wireless 802.11a

  6. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    Dale Beckett wrote:
    > For that money you can get a two or three year-old ThinkPad and everything
    > will work. I have a T-43 that I use every day and it works perfectly

    Ditto, with an R61.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501. It works perfectly with 8.04. Haven't done
    the 8.10 upgrade yet.

    Paul

  8. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    Op Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:29:13 -0500, schreef Justin:

    > I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    > some things work and some don't.
    > Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?
    > Ndis wrappers seem to be common for all laptops and not difficult to
    > configure and set up. Other than Acer, Averatec what laptop can I get
    > where everything actually works? Dell, Gateway, HP/Compaq.... I'm
    > hoping to spend around $500 for the machine. But that is flexible.

    Try this
    Hp is supporting linux on laptops

    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise...0-0-0-121.html

  9. Re: The Perfect Laptop?

    Johan van de Sande wrote:

    > Op Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:29:13 -0500, schreef Justin:
    >
    >> I have searched and searched... all I found was a sea of laptops where
    >> some things work and some don't.
    >> Is there a year or two old laptop where everything works with Ubuntu?

    Ran into those problems but the newest K/Ubuntu supports the Broadcomm 43xx
    in my Compaq V3015NR Presario - all works just great now!

+ Reply to Thread