Xfce's screen saver - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Xfce's screen saver - Ubuntu ; I have Ubuntu 8.04, with Xfce as the environment in X. I cannot get Xfce's screen saver to engage. X's (as controlled with xset) works fine, but it's boring. DPMS works, except that if I change xfce's control for it, ...

  1. Xfce's screen saver

    I have Ubuntu 8.04, with Xfce as the environment in X. I cannot get
    Xfce's screen saver to engage. X's (as controlled with xset) works fine,
    but it's boring. DPMS works, except that if I change xfce's control for
    it, it gets disabled (all times in xset go to 0). Anyone know a solution
    to either of these problems?

    --
    There's a term for those who fantasize that the world works in
    precisely the way that produces maximum convenience for them,

  2. Re: Xfce's screen saver

    Hactar wrote:
    > I have Ubuntu 8.04, with Xfce as the environment in X. I cannot get
    > Xfce's screen saver to engage. X's (as controlled with xset) works fine,
    > but it's boring. DPMS works, except that if I change xfce's control for
    > it, it gets disabled (all times in xset go to 0). Anyone know a solution
    > to either of these problems?

    Can't help with the Xfce screensaver.

    But, how is this boring:
    xset s 1 1
    Pretty sweet if you ask me.

    Have you installed xscreensaver and played with the
    'xscreensaver-command' or 'xscreensaver-demo' commands?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Xfce's screen saver

    Hactar wrote:
    > I have Ubuntu 8.04, with Xfce as the environment in X. I cannot get
    > Xfce's screen saver to engage. X's (as controlled with xset) works fine,
    > but it's boring. DPMS works, except that if I change xfce's control for
    > it, it gets disabled (all times in xset go to 0). Anyone know a solution
    > to either of these problems?

    So you are worried about what's on the screen when you
    aren't looking at it?

    I just turn my monitor off when I'm not using it.
    Can't see any point in wasting energy on something
    that I'm not using.

    No one has ever complained about the blank screen.

    If they did, I'd think they had a loose screw or two.

    Sid

  4. Re: Xfce's screen saver

    In article ,
    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Hactar wrote:
    > > I have Ubuntu 8.04, with Xfce as the environment in X. I cannot get
    > > Xfce's screen saver to engage. X's (as controlled with xset) works fine,
    > > but it's boring. DPMS works, except that if I change xfce's control for
    > > it, it gets disabled (all times in xset go to 0). Anyone know a solution
    > > to either of these problems?

    > Can't help with the Xfce screensaver.
    >
    > But, how is this boring:
    > xset s 1 1
    > Pretty sweet if you ask me.
    >
    > Have you installed xscreensaver and played with the
    > 'xscreensaver-command' or 'xscreensaver-demo' commands?

    xscreensaver's nice, I had it in my former installation. But I hate
    duplicated functionality. Is there a way of uninstalling xfce's screen
    saver, or do they use the same guts? Some of the module names are the
    same, but I don't think that necessarily means the _files_ are the same.

    Two atoms are discussing whether or not to go into a bar. The first atom
    says, "I don't know about this place. Last time I went in there, I lost
    an electron." The second atom says, "Don't worry, I'll keep my ion you."

  5. Re: Xfce's screen saver

    Hactar wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
    >> Hactar wrote:
    >> > I have Ubuntu 8.04, with Xfce as the environment in X. I cannot get
    >> > Xfce's screen saver to engage. X's (as controlled with xset) works fine,
    >> > but it's boring. DPMS works, except that if I change xfce's control for
    >> > it, it gets disabled (all times in xset go to 0). Anyone know a solution
    >> > to either of these problems?

    >> So you are worried about what's on the screen when you
    >> aren't looking at it?

    > Just because I'm not sitting at the computer doesn't mean I don't
    > occasionally glance at it.

    And what? If it was blank you'd feel insecure or something?

    >> I just turn my monitor off when I'm not using it.
    >> Can't see any point in wasting energy on something
    >> that I'm not using.

    > I have DPMS kick in at a half hour; same deal.

    No, it is not. That's an unnecessary 1/2 hour of wasted energy and
    and wear on the monitor/screen (and associated circuits) every time
    you walk away from your computer for an extended period. And that's
    a best-case scenario that applies only if you have your DPMS set
    to turn it off rather than "suspend" or "standby".

    >> No one has ever complained about the blank screen.
    >>
    >> If they did, I'd think they had a loose screw or two.

    > All black = good for CRTs, but worst-case (in terms of power
    > consumption) for LCDs.

    Off is not "all black". It is off. Power down. This condition
    uses zero energy and nothing preserves semiconductors, of which
    these screens are made, like power down. This is the best way
    to save your screen, by far. Having current running through them
    is the only thing (discounting abuse) that wears semiconductors out.
    I have a couple of transistor radios made in the 50's that work just
    fine, because they haven't been used much over the decades.

    Sid

+ Reply to Thread