6.10 8.04 8.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 6.10 8.04 8.10 - Ubuntu ; I've had Ubuntu 6.10 running on my Compaq Deskpro EN working ok for some time. Recently I tried to install 8.10 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive. The install seemed to go ok but on booting from the hdd ...

  1. 6.10 8.04 8.10

    I've had Ubuntu 6.10 running on my Compaq Deskpro EN working
    ok for some time.

    Recently I tried to install 8.10 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive.
    The install seemed to go ok but on booting from the hdd after install I get
    the following error messages:

    usplash: setting mode 1024x768 failed
    usplash: using mode 800x600
    gave up waiting for root device, common problems:
    - boot args (cat / proc / cmdline)
    - check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    - missing modules (cat / proc / modules; ls/dev)

    ALERT! / dev / disk / by-uuid / 978d61f9-0be8-4be0-ab39-8120615ee13e does
    not exist. Dropping to shell

    So I tried installing 8.04 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive. Got to
    the partitioner screen but the options to create/delete/edit partitions are
    greyed and its not possible to proceed further.

    I'd like to get 8.10 or 8.04 working on my Compaq Deskpro EN.
    Looking for suggestions please.

    Thanks

  2. Re: 6.10 8.04 8.10

    "Alt Beer" wrote in message
    > I've had Ubuntu 6.10 running on my Compaq Deskpro EN working
    > ok for some time.
    >
    > Recently I tried to install 8.10 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive.
    > The install seemed to go ok but on booting from the hdd after install I
    > get
    > the following error messages:
    >
    > usplash: setting mode 1024x768 failed
    > usplash: using mode 800x600
    > gave up waiting for root device, common problems:
    > - boot args (cat / proc / cmdline)
    > - check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    > - check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    > - missing modules (cat / proc / modules; ls/dev)
    >
    > ALERT! / dev / disk / by-uuid / 978d61f9-0be8-4be0-ab39-8120615ee13e does
    > not exist. Dropping to shell
    >

    > So I tried installing 8.04 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive. Got to
    > the partitioner screen but the options to create/delete/edit partitions
    > are
    > greyed and its not possible to proceed further.
    >
    > I'd like to get 8.10 or 8.04 working on my Compaq Deskpro EN.
    > Looking for suggestions please.
    >
    > Thanks

    Slightly off topic, I installed 8.04 since this will give you access to
    Linspire's CNR.

  3. Re: 6.10 8.04 8.10

    Alt Beer wrote:
    > I've had Ubuntu 6.10 running on my Compaq Deskpro EN working
    > ok for some time.
    >
    > Recently I tried to install 8.10 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive.
    > The install seemed to go ok but on booting from the hdd after install I get
    > the following error messages:
    >
    > usplash: setting mode 1024x768 failed
    > usplash: using mode 800x600
    > gave up waiting for root device, common problems:
    > - boot args (cat / proc / cmdline)
    > - check root delay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    > - check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    > - missing modules (cat / proc / modules; ls/dev)
    >
    > ALERT! / dev / disk / by-uuid / 978d61f9-0be8-4be0-ab39-8120615ee13e does
    > not exist. Dropping to shell
    >

    > So I tried installing 8.04 on a new 20GB un-partitioned IDE drive. Got to
    > the partitioner screen but the options to create/delete/edit partitions are
    > greyed and its not possible to proceed further.
    >
    > I'd like to get 8.10 or 8.04 working on my Compaq Deskpro EN.
    > Looking for suggestions please.
    >
    > Thanks

    Editing the fstab to point / to /dev/sda1 will probably sort it.

  4. Re: 6.10 8.04 8.10

    * Pete wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Slightly off topic,

    Slightly? That must be some good crack!