Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000 - Ubuntu ; My Lifecam vx3000 does not work in Ubuntu 8.10. The light stays on, and applications like cheese say that it cannot find a webcam. I have read on other forums about similiar problems. Has anyone here got theirs working?...

  1. Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    My Lifecam vx3000 does not work in Ubuntu 8.10. The light stays on, and
    applications like cheese say that it cannot find a webcam. I have read
    on other forums about similiar problems.

    Has anyone here got theirs working?

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:31:37 -0500, javajeff wrote:

    > My Lifecam vx3000 does not work in Ubuntu 8.10. The light stays on, and
    > applications like cheese say that it cannot find a webcam. I have read
    > on other forums about similiar problems.
    >
    > Has anyone here got theirs working?

    Did the word 'Microsoft' not register with you? You expect it to play
    nicely with any other OS?

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > Did the word 'Microsoft' not register with you? You expect it to play
    > nicely with any other OS?

    I doubt that Microsoft manufactured the hardware. The drivers are
    usually made from the hard work of individuals supporting an open source
    community. if you want to bash me or Microsoft, go elsewhere. This
    post is intended for knowledgeable people.

  4. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    javajeff wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> Did the word 'Microsoft' not register with you? You expect it to play
    >> nicely with any other OS?

    > I doubt that Microsoft manufactured the hardware. The drivers are
    > usually made from the hard work of individuals supporting an open source
    > community. if you want to bash me or Microsoft, go elsewhere. This
    > post is intended for knowledgeable people.

    This group, for the most part, is using Ubuntu just because it works,
    unlike M$, which ***FOR A FACT***, is out for your $$$, not computing
    pleasure. Ubuntu reads FAT and NTFS file systems while M$ and XP only
    reads M$ junk. If it is called a ***Microsoft*** Lifecam why would you
    be so totally stupid as to think it would work right on any other
    platform or OS?
    Microsoft does not have to build the hardware as long as they spec it to
    work with M$ products.
    Try 'Wine' not 'Whine'.
    Bill Baka

  5. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > javajeff wrote:
    >If it is called a ***Microsoft*** Lifecam why would you
    > be so totally stupid as to think it would work right on any other
    > platform or OS?

    There's no need to be offensive. I agree, though. There are three ways
    drivers can be available a) they are written by the manufacturer (not
    going to happen here) b) the manufacturer releases the specs and the
    community writes them (also not going to happen here) c) the community
    reverse engineers the product somehow (a lot of work, nobody is going to
    do that for the sake of a microsoft product).

    I'm afraid Microsoft will do everything it can to make sure that you
    can't use your webcam on anything but 'doze. Sorry.

    --
    George Kettleborough

  6. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    George Kettleborough wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >> javajeff wrote:
    >> If it is called a ***Microsoft*** Lifecam why would you
    >> be so totally stupid as to think it would work right on any other
    >> platform or OS?

    > There's no need to be offensive. I agree, though. There are three ways
    > drivers can be available a) they are written by the manufacturer (not
    > going to happen here) b) the manufacturer releases the specs and the
    > community writes them (also not going to happen here) c) the community
    > reverse engineers the product somehow (a lot of work, nobody is going to
    > do that for the sake of a microsoft product).
    >
    > I'm afraid Microsoft will do everything it can to make sure that you
    > can't use your webcam on anything but 'doze. Sorry.

    My intent was not to be offensive, but I do get tired of the "Windows
    does 'this' better than Linux", routine. I seriously doubt that M$ is
    cleared for any life support or high reliability situation.
    NASA?
    Above, a) would be Canon, which stinks for support of the non-windows type.
    B.) Canon again, except they just blow off Linux users while kissing M$.
    C.) Agreed, that reverse engineering a $35 printer is not a good use of
    time.
    I agree with all your points, but will always question M$ motives.
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    George Kettleborough wrote:
    > c) the community
    > reverse engineers the product somehow (a lot of work, nobody is going to
    > do that for the sake of a microsoft product).

    Except, this guy:

    There are a few MS webcams on his list.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:09:20 -0500, javajeff wrote:

    > if you want to bash me or Microsoft, go elsewhere. This
    > post is intended for knowledgeable people.

    No, this is public usenet forum. If you want expert advice **** off and
    pay for it windroid.

  9. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    javajeff wrote:

    > My Lifecam vx3000 does not work in Ubuntu 8.10. The light stays on, and
    > applications like cheese say that it cannot find a webcam. I have read
    > on other forums about similiar problems.

    "Microsoft" in the product name /might/ be a clue... It's unlikely to play
    nicely with anything other than Windoze.

    C.

  10. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > I seriously doubt that M$ is cleared for any life support or high
    > reliability situation.

    Certainly not! Much of the engineering I do professionally requires high
    reliability computing - failure could be life-threatening - so *no* MS
    products are used whatsoever. However, we do have some critically important
    systems running a cut-down BSD.

    C.

  11. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:09:20 -0500, javajeff wrote:
    >
    >> if you want to bash me or Microsoft, go elsewhere. This
    >> post is intended for knowledgeable people.

    > No, this is public usenet forum. If you want expert advice **** off and
    > pay for it windroid.

    I am here because I am using Ubuntu 8.10. I am not a Microsoft basher
    or lover. I am completely indifferent, and go the camera for very
    little and was trying to use it rather than buy a logitech.

    I have heard a lot about people with very low self esteem needing an
    outlet to feel good about themselves by flaming others.

  12. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Lifecam vx3000

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > javajeff wrote:
    >
    >> My Lifecam vx3000 does not work in Ubuntu 8.10. The light stays on, and
    >> applications like cheese say that it cannot find a webcam. I have read
    >> on other forums about similiar problems.

    > "Microsoft" in the product name /might/ be a clue... It's unlikely to play
    > nicely with anything other than Windoze.
    >
    > C.

    It works with earlier versions, and there are many Ubuntu users in the
    same boat. I was not looking to get flamed just for asking if anyone
    else got a piece of hardware to work with Ubuntu 8.10. Microsoft does
    not even register on my radar as anything that I should put an ounce of
    care about with any passion or conviction. I am completely indifferent
    and just asking if anyone else got the web cam to work so I do not have
    to buy another one.

  13. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Microsoft Lifecam vx3000

    javajeff wrote:
    > My Lifecam vx3000 does not work in Ubuntu 8.10. The light stays on, and
    > applications like cheese say that it cannot find a webcam. I have read
    > on other forums about similiar problems.
    >
    > Has anyone here got theirs working?

    Please disregard this message. I am better off on the moderated Ubuntu
    forums.

  14. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 & Lifecam vx3000

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:18:35 -0500, javajeff wrote:

    > It works with earlier versions, and there are many Ubuntu users in the
    > same boat.

    Had you said that in the first place you would have looked less like a
    windows troll and may have had a less hostile reception.

+ Reply to Thread