Ubuntu 8.10 on a Mac - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 on a Mac - Ubuntu ; I know it's later than most, but I think I'm the first to report on upgrading on a Mac. Yesterday I successfully upgraded, and there were no problems. It took about an hour: 17 minutes as suggested to download the ...

  1. Ubuntu 8.10 on a Mac

    I know it's later than most, but I think I'm the first to report on
    upgrading on a Mac. Yesterday I successfully upgraded, and there were no
    problems. It took about an hour: 17 minutes as suggested to download the
    material necessary, and 35 minutes to install the upgrade, which was
    projected for as much as 50 minutes while in progress. I stayed nearby
    but no intervention was called for until 30 minutes into installation,
    when I had to choose between leaving CUPS as is or wiping it out and
    replacing it with an upgrade. After a couple of minutes for clean-up,
    some tweaking, and a restart, all appeared successfully installed,
    although a couple more tweaks, including installation of a new driver
    for my NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT card, required another restart.

    I would like to know if other Mac users confirm or contradict my
    experience.

    The great advantage of 8.10 is out-of-the-box wireless function.
    Previously, I was amazed, when booting from the live disk for 6.10 on my
    old PPC Mac laptop, to note that my DSL link was picked up from my Mac
    settings, and I was online even when live-disk-booted. Not having enough
    room to install 6.10 on that hard disk and unable to install it on an
    external disk, I learned about Ubuntu from the live disk. After
    acquiring an Intel MacBook Pro with a spacious enough hard disk, I
    installed 7.10 and later upgraded to 8.04 without a problem, although I
    remember it taking well over an hour. Only after taking this laptop on a
    trip did I even realize that Ubuntu wireless did not function as
    effortlessly as Ubuntu/Mac DSL. Now it does. In fact, although parallel
    comparison is impossible between my laptop OSX and Ubuntu, irregular
    comparison suggests that Ubuntu 8.10 is more sensitive to nearby
    wireless than OSX, i. e., it perceives more links.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.
    --
    {\rtf1\mac\ansicpg10000\cocoartf824\cocoasubrtf420
    {\fonttbl\f0\fmodern\fcharset77 Courier;}

    \f0\fs18 \cf0 --- \
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++\
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||\
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||\
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||\
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-po\uc0\u349 ta adreso por \u285
    usta adreso || \
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++\
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\ql\qnatural
    \cf0 NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security \
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. \
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You \
    have no recourse or protection.}

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 on a Mac

    Is this on old PowerMac PowerBook? What is the spec of it?

    And do you have Apple airport card with it?

    I have a PowerMac MDD, 1.25G. I am interested server version and like to
    make sure the standby mode works before doing anything with it.

    thanks

  3. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 on a Mac

    MacRules wrote:
    > Is this on old PowerMac PowerBook? What is the spec of it?

    My previous Mac laptop was a PPC PowerBook G4 15" with an 80GB hard disk
    and my present one is an Intel MacBook Pro 15" with a custom 200GB hard
    disk. I mentioned its GeForce 8600M GT card. I have been using it since
    July, 2007.

    > And do you have Apple airport card with it?

    Both have airport cards, as do all recent Mac laptops I know about,
    except possibly the new Air.

    > I have a PowerMac MDD, 1.25G. I am interested server version and like to
    > make sure the standby mode works before doing anything with it.

    I've never owned a Mac desktop model.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

+ Reply to Thread