How to copy ALL files to a NAS? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to copy ALL files to a NAS? - Ubuntu ; I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular directory recursively from my hard drive to the nas. I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the directories but NOT the ...

  1. How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular directory
    recursively from my hard drive to the nas.

    I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    directories but NOT the files. The file item count on my source is 320924
    and upon completion both ways I get approx 64000 and change. The only
    error message received in the inability to set the file's time on the nas.

    dd is out of the question because there is a system on the NAS drive.

    The NAS is an HP MV2120 500GB unit.

    Thanks

  2. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:18:45 -0500, Bob M propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular
    > directory recursively from my hard drive to the nas.
    >
    > I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    > directories but NOT the files. The file item count on my source is
    > 320924 and upon completion both ways I get approx 64000 and change. The
    > only error message received in the inability to set the file's time on
    > the nas.
    >
    > dd is out of the question because there is a system on the NAS drive.
    >
    > The NAS is an HP MV2120 500GB unit.
    >
    > Thanks

    Have a look at the -p switch of cpio

    --
    Rob
    Beta. Software undergoes beta testing shortly before it's released. Beta

  3. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    "Bob M" wrote in message
    > I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular directory
    > recursively from my hard drive to the nas.
    >
    > I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    > directories but NOT the files. The file item count on my source is 320924
    > and upon completion both ways I get approx 64000 and change. The only
    > error message received in the inability to set the file's time on the nas.
    >
    > dd is out of the question because there is a system on the NAS drive.

    If the nas drive is mounted then a standard

    sudo cp -r /source/folder /destination/folder/

    should work even if the nas box is not running linux.

  4. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    On 2008-11-10, Bob M wrote:
    > I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular directory
    > recursively from my hard drive to the nas.
    >
    > I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    > directories but NOT the files.

    man rsync suggests that the -r and -p switch might help.

    rsync is a beast that has many switches. cp and mkisofs are in the same
    class.

  5. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Bob M" wrote in message
    >> I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular directory
    >> recursively from my hard drive to the nas.
    >>
    >> I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    >> directories but NOT the files. The file item count on my source is
    >> 320924
    >> and upon completion both ways I get approx 64000 and change. The only
    >> error message received in the inability to set the file's time on the
    >> nas.
    >>
    >> dd is out of the question because there is a system on the NAS drive.

    > If the nas drive is mounted then a standard
    >
    > sudo cp -r /source/folder /destination/folder/
    >
    > should work even if the nas box is not running linux.

    Thanks - tried this but cp -r recursed but copied all the file to the
    current directory.

  6. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    aspir8or wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:18:45 -0500, Bob M propped his eyelids open with
    > toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular
    >> directory recursively from my hard drive to the nas.
    >>
    >> I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    >> directories but NOT the files. The file item count on my source is
    >> 320924 and upon completion both ways I get approx 64000 and change. The
    >> only error message received in the inability to set the file's time on
    >> the nas.
    >>
    >> dd is out of the question because there is a system on the NAS drive.
    >>
    >> The NAS is an HP MV2120 500GB unit.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Have a look at the -p switch of cpio

    Thanks - for what ever reason I get segfault with this.

  7. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 04:42:47 -0500, Bob M wrote:

    > dennis@home wrote:
    >

    >> "Bob M" wrote in message
    >>> I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular
    >>> directory recursively from my hard drive to the nas.

    >> If the nas drive is mounted then a standard
    >> sudo cp -r /source/folder /destination/folder/
    >> should work even if the nas box is not running linux.

    > Thanks - tried this but cp -r recursed but copied all the file to the
    > current directory.

    Then you're using the wrong syntax. When he said "/destination" he meant
    the mount point for the NAS. You can find it via 'df' (assuming it is
    indeed mounted (via NFS or Samba).

  8. Re: How to copy ALL files to a NAS?

    On 2008-11-10, Bob M wrote:
    > I just installed a NAS and would like to copy from a particular directory
    > recursively from my hard drive to the nas.
    >
    > I've tried rsync -av and dolphin and it all cases it will copy the
    > directories but NOT the files. The file item count on my source is 320924
    > and upon completion both ways I get approx 64000 and change. The only
    > error message received in the inability to set the file's time on the nas.
    >
    > dd is out of the question because there is a system on the NAS drive.
    >
    > The NAS is an HP MV2120 500GB unit.

    rsync -rhvu should cover all the bases for you...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread