Boot failures - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Boot failures - Ubuntu ; I'm using 8.10 on a Toshiba A60 laptop, and it frequently crashes on startup, often with a corrupted display. Sometimes several reboots will get me up and running normally, but the "recovery boot" option always works as it should, and ...

  1. Boot failures

    I'm using 8.10 on a Toshiba A60 laptop, and it frequently crashes on
    startup, often with a corrupted display.

    Sometimes several reboots will get me up and running normally, but the
    "recovery boot" option always works as it should, and hasn't failed
    yet.

    Is it possible to invoke dmesg during a failed boot to read after the
    next successful boot ?

  2. Re: Boot failures

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    > I'm using 8.10 on a Toshiba A60 laptop, and it frequently crashes on
    > startup, often with a corrupted display.
    >
    > Sometimes several reboots will get me up and running normally, but the
    > "recovery boot" option always works as it should, and hasn't failed
    > yet.
    >
    > Is it possible to invoke dmesg during a failed boot to read after the
    > next successful boot ?

    If you can Alt-F1(-F6) to terminal session and dmesg has been written to
    /var/log/dmesg, you could try:

    sudo cp /var/log/dmesg /dmesg.backup

    On successful bootup:

    sudo cat /var/log/dmesg.backup | less (or similar)

  3. Re: Boot failures

    > > Is it possible to invoke dmesg during a failed boot to read after the
    > > next successful boot ?

    > If you can Alt-F1(-F6) to terminal session and dmesg has been written to
    > /var/log/dmesg, you could try:
    > sudo cp /var/log/dmesg /dmesg.backup
    > On successful bootup:
    > sudo cat /var/log/dmesg.backup | less (or similar)

    Thanks - unfortunately it seems to lock up fairly hard (i'd previously
    tried Alt-F1(-F3) without any luck)

  4. Re: Boot failures

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to invoke dmesg during a failed boot to read after the
    >>> next successful boot ?

    >> If you can Alt-F1(-F6) to terminal session and dmesg has been written to
    >> /var/log/dmesg, you could try:
    >> sudo cp /var/log/dmesg /dmesg.backup
    >> On successful bootup:
    >> sudo cat /var/log/dmesg.backup | less (or similar)

    > Thanks - unfortunately it seems to lock up fairly hard (i'd previously
    > tried Alt-F1(-F3) without any luck)

    Have you tried using a boot floppy, system rescue disk etc immediately
    after a lockup to mount the hard drive and possibly retrieve the dmesg
    info? If there was anything written to that file, and there should be,
    it should still be present on the hard drive.

    .....and BTW, if you check your /var/log folder you should see something
    similar to the following output:
    20 -rw-r----- 1 root adm 20326 2008-11-09 16:17 dmesg
    20 -rw-r----- 1 root adm 20248 2008-11-09 07:26 dmesg.0

    8 -rw-r----- 1 root adm 7379 2008-11-09 02:13 dmesg.1.gz

    8 -rw-r----- 1 root adm 7355 2008-11-08 03:28 dmesg.2.gz

    8 -rw-r----- 1 root adm 7386 2008-11-07 08:49 dmesg.3.gz

    8 -rw-r----- 1 root adm 7385 2008-11-06 11:52 dmesg.4.gz

    The GZ files are actually archived dmesg files from previous bootups;
    use your archiver program (eg Ark) to view their contents.

  5. Re: Boot failures

    > ....and BTW, if you check your /var/log folder you should see something
    > similar to the following output:
    > The GZ files are actually archived dmesg files from previous bootups;
    > use your archiver program (eg Ark) to view their contents.

    Ooh, very handy to know - thanks v much !

  6. Re: Boot failures

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> ....and BTW, if you check your /var/log folder you should see something
    >> similar to the following output:
    >> The GZ files are actually archived dmesg files from previous bootups;
    >> use your archiver program (eg Ark) to view their contents.
    >>

    > Ooh, very handy to know - thanks v much !

    Or you can view the gz files by preceding the cat command, or the
    pagers, less and/or more, with the letter z.

    Try:

    zless /var/log/messages.1.gz

    And see how it works for you.

    The zmore works the same except you cannot scroll backwards.

    The zcat will "print" the whole file to the screen without paging. It's
    useful for writing to a file, like:

    zcat /var/log/messages.1.gz > ~/Desktop/mymessageslogfile

    That will create a textfile called "mymessageslogfile" on your desktop,
    from what is contained in the /var/log/messages.1.gz archive.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Boot failures

    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    > Colin Wilson wrote:
    >>> ....and BTW, if you check your /var/log folder you should see
    >>> something similar to the following output:
    >>> The GZ files are actually archived dmesg files from previous
    >>> bootups; use your archiver program (eg Ark) to view their contents.
    >>>

    >> Ooh, very handy to know - thanks v much !
    >>

    > Or you can view the gz files by preceding the cat command, or the
    > pagers, less and/or more, with the letter z.
    >
    > Try:
    >
    > zless /var/log/messages.1.gz
    >
    > And see how it works for you.

    If you use lessfile or lesspipe you can just use less instead of
    zless. Just put one of the following two commands in your login script (e.g.
    ~/.bash_profile):
    eval "$(lessfile)"
    or
    eval "$(lesspipe)"