Re: Problem with audio in any Flash based web page - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Problem with audio in any Flash based web page - Ubuntu ; Ghost in the Shell wrote: > Am using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera. Problem is I'm unable to get any audio > whatsoever from Flash based web pages (IE YouTube, etc). Other > applications such as Last.FM and Shoutcast work just ...

  1. Re: Problem with audio in any Flash based web page

    Ghost in the Shell wrote:
    > Am using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera. Problem is I'm unable to get any audio
    > whatsoever from Flash based web pages (IE YouTube, etc). Other
    > applications such as Last.FM and Shoutcast work just fine so I know I can
    > get audio elsewhere. I also know that if I download a YouTube video to my
    > computer as an FLV file it works just fine.

    With what app though? IIRC, mplayer doesn't need flash as it as it has
    it's own flv decoder.

    > I have downloaded and
    > installed the latest version of Flash from Adobe but no joy. Any help
    > certainly would be appreciated.

    Just out of curiosity....have you installed the flash plugin for the
    browser? Type "aboutlugins" in the url Seems quite a few rascals are
    experiencing problems with flash and v8.10 (mainly audio though from
    what I've read so far).

    If you already have the plugin installed you might want to check out the
    following information on Opera's main site:
    http://www.opera.com/support/search/...lug-ins/page1/

  2. Re: Problem with audio in any Flash based web page

    Ghost in the Shell wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 13:41:05 -0800, propman wrote:
    >
    >> With what app though? IIRC, mplayer doesn't need flash as it as it has
    >> it's own flv decoder.

    > I had used a 3rd party plug-in in FF and was able to download it that way
    > and play it on Totem Movie Player. I also had the same issue in FF so
    > that tells me it's not a browser issue but rather a flash one it seems.
    >
    >> Just out of curiosity....have you installed the flash plugin for the
    >> browser? Type "aboutlugins" in the url Seems quite a few rascals are
    >> experiencing problems with flash and v8.10 (mainly audio though from
    >> what I've read so far).

    > Yep, checked there and plug-in is present and accounted for. So them I'm
    > not the only one it appears.

    FWIW.......

    .......just out of curiosity I installed both Totem and flash on my newly
    installed Ubuntu v8.10 desktop system (Lenovo, AMD Sempron, 512 meg RAM,
    Nvidia sound, Nvidia Geforce 6 using the "nv" native video
    driver").....have been using flash without any problems with my new
    install of Kunbuntu v8.10 on the laptop and so was wondering if maybe
    the flash problems being reported where related to the Gnome environment.

    I installed the flash plugin for FF 3 first which I retrieved through
    Medibuntu/Synaptic....sound and video were fine when I test it on Youtube.

    Downloaded a couple of Youtube flv videos with the DownloadHelper FF addon.

    Installed Totem.....found out it wouldn't play the flv files without
    plugins; it searched and found two. Installed them and the flv's played OK.

    Those results put my supposition in the trash can! :-)

    Wish I could suggest something else for you to try but....... :-)

+ Reply to Thread