Aplay zombie processus - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Aplay zombie processus - Ubuntu ; Ih I have aplay zombie processus runing in my ubuntu 8.10 and I cannot kill him any idea how to kill him Thanks DCampa...

  1. Aplay zombie processus

    Ih
    I have aplay zombie processus runing in my ubuntu 8.10
    and I cannot kill him

    any idea how to kill him

    Thanks
    DCampa

  2. Re: Aplay zombie processus

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:10:55 +0100, DCampa mumbled:

    > Ih
    > I have aplay zombie processus runing in my ubuntu 8.10 and I cannot kill
    > him
    >
    > any idea how to kill him
    >
    > Thanks
    > DCampa

    Aplay is a harmless command line audio player that uses ALSA. It will
    play multiple formats.
    It's opposite application is Arecord, a command line audio recorder.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  3. Re: Aplay zombie processus

    On November 9, 2008 14:10, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, DCampa
    (d.campa@skynet.be) wrote:

    > Ih
    > I have aplay zombie processus runing in my ubuntu 8.10
    > and I cannot kill him

    No, zombies are already dead. You can't kill a zombie.

    > any idea how to kill him

    Kill the process that started the zombie in the first place. If that's not
    acceptable, then you'll have to /fix/ the process that started the zombie
    process.

    Zombie processes hang around until their parent process collects their
    termination status. If the parent doesn't collect the status, then the
    zombie hangs around forever. So, what you have to do is either convince the
    parent to collect it's children's termination status (which may just be a
    config option, or may be a program change), or kill the parent so that the
    zombie children are adopted by the init(8) process (init(1) will collect
    their termination status right away).

    --
    Lew Pitcher