Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07 - Ubuntu ; Hi all, my computers are freshly renewed with ubuntu and all is fine. Exept that I can't export a NTFS partition from PC A, running Ubuntu 8.07, while form PC B, with 8.10, trying the same thing works like a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Hi all,

    my computers are freshly renewed with ubuntu and all is fine.
    Exept that I can't export a NTFS partition from PC A, running Ubuntu
    8.07, while form PC B, with 8.10, trying the same thing works like a
    charm. Is there a known issue? Or should I reinstall everything on PC A?

    Thanks and cheers,

  2. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.04

    Giff wrote:

    > Hi all,

    I was obviously talking about an ubuntu 8.04.

  3. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Giff wrote:
    > my computers are freshly renewed with ubuntu and all is fine.
    > Exept that I can't export a NTFS partition from PC A

    What does that mean? Can you be more specific? Export? What, using NFS?

    > 8.07, while form PC B, with 8.10, trying the same thing works like a
    > charm. Is there a known issue? Or should I reinstall everything on PC A?

    "trying the same thing"? What same thing? It'd be lovely if you actually
    provided some information that actually means something.

    Some reading for you:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#beprecise

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Giff wrote:
    >> my computers are freshly renewed with ubuntu and all is fine.
    >> Exept that I can't export a NTFS partition from PC A

    > What does that mean? Can you be more specific? Export? What, using NFS?

    Ok, sorry, I'll try to be a bit more detailed.

    I have a PC "A" that I use as a media center, running Ubuntu 8.04. The
    PC mounts a big NTS partition (as it used to run Windows XP) containing
    music and videos. I'd like to share that data on the network with my
    other PC, a laptop (Lenovo x301, running Ubuntu 8.10).

    So I have /dev/sda5 on PC A, mounted locally on /home/username/Data,
    what I'd like to achieve is to mount the same folder on PC B on
    something like /home/username/mediacenter, using NFS.

    So, looking around on the net I have installed the NFS server and client
    and modified the /etc/exports file o the server, inserting something like:

    /home/username/Data *(rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,sync)

    I also tried with /dev/sda5, and several combination of permissions...
    when I type exportfs -a, it says that the folder does not support NFS
    export and when I try to mount it from the laptop it obviously does not
    work, giving:

    mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting

    >> 8.07, while form PC B, with 8.10, trying the same thing works like a
    >> charm. Is there a known issue? Or should I reinstall everything on PC A?

    > "trying the same thing"? What same thing?

    If I proceed in the same way as I tried to describe above, but
    exchanging PC A wiht PC B, (i.e., exporting a NTFS partition on the
    laptop and mounting it on the server) it works, so I guess that the
    problem is ubuntu 8.04. However, I'd rather not reinstall the OS, if
    possible...

    Thanks for your patience. Do you have any clues?

  5. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    I know that it was not possible to use ntfs mounts with ntfs due to fuse
    not supporting it (I don't know the technical details). Since it seems
    to work for 8.10 I guess that fuse has been updated and supports it now.
    If there is some reason why you must keep using 8.04 and not upgrade
    then you can probably just install the new version of fuse from
    backports: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

    --
    George Kettleborough

  6. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    George Kettleborough wrote:

    > If there is some reason why you must keep using 8.04 and not upgrade

    None. But upgrade means reinstalling everything (including settings and
    applications) from scratch, doesn't it? Maybe it is the best thing to do
    though...

    Thanks.

  7. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Giff wrote:
    > If I proceed in the same way as I tried to describe above, but
    > exchanging PC A wiht PC B, (i.e., exporting a NTFS partition on the
    > laptop and mounting it on the server) it works, so I guess that the
    > problem is ubuntu 8.04. However, I'd rather not reinstall the OS, if
    > possible...
    >
    > Thanks for your patience. Do you have any clues?

    Clues, no. Bad news, yes.

    NFS has been know to be borked in Ubuntu for a long time. I abandoned it
    years ago. That it works in 8.10 is good news. I'm skeptical.

    Have you tried sharing your partition with either SAMBA or SSHFS. I've
    been using SSHFS for years, and it works a charm.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Have you tried sharing your partition with either SAMBA

    Samba is slower than NFS, AFAIK.

    > or SSHFS. I've
    > been using SSHFS for years, and it works a charm.

    Never heard of, I'll give it a try. Can I then mount remote folders on
    my laptop and access them like if they were physically on my disk, like
    NFS does?

  9. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Giff wrote:
    > George Kettleborough wrote:
    >
    >> If there is some reason why you must keep using 8.04 and not upgrade

    > None. But upgrade means reinstalling everything (including settings
    > and applications) from scratch, doesn't it?

    No.

    Most all personal configuration settings are stored in your home directory.

    The few things that might change usually will have a warning and a
    chance for you to choose to keep the old settings, or use the new
    settings from the package, etc.

    As for George's question, and the first part of your totally incorrect
    reply, the main reason is for the Long Term Support that 8.04 has and
    8.10 doesn't have.

    It's not a "must" but it is a smart move, IMHO.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > No.
    >
    > Most all personal configuration settings are stored in your home directory.

    Right, but my home is in the same partition as the OS , I know bad,
    bad, bad... Maybe I should really do a fresh install...

    > The few things that might change usually will have a warning and a
    > chance for you to choose to keep the old settings, or use the new
    > settings from the package, etc.

    Ok, I did not know this. I'll google a bit for how to upgrade.

    > As for George's question, and the first part of your totally incorrect
    > reply, the main reason is for the Long Term Support that 8.04 has and
    > 8.10 doesn't have.
    >
    > It's not a "must" but it is a smart move, IMHO.

    Sorry, I don't get it, what's the smart move? Leave 8.04 because it has
    a longer support?

    Thanks,

  11. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Giff wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> No.
    >>
    >> Most all personal configuration settings are stored in your home
    >> directory.

    > Right, but my home is in the same partition as the OS , I know bad,
    > bad, bad... Maybe I should really do a fresh install...

    Doesn't matter. The upgrade, actually the "dist-upgrade," won't do
    anything to your home directory, regardless on what partition, drive, or
    PC it resides. Now it may add new files, but it shouldn't remove old
    files that contain user-definable settings, nor any of your
    personally-created data.

    >> The few things that might change usually will have a warning and a
    >> chance for you to choose to keep the old settings, or use the new
    >> settings from the package, etc.

    > Ok, I did not know this. I'll google a bit for how to upgrade.

    There were several messages in this group in the past 48 hours on how to
    do the upgrade from an LTS version to a non-LTS version, which is what
    8.04 to 8.10 would be. Normally the Update Manager will not permit the
    upgrade since the LTS is paramount. But it is Linux, and you can do
    whatever you want (it isn't Windows!), so the option is there if you can
    find it.

    Google is also helpful, as well as visiting the Ubuntu site itself.

    >> As for George's question, and the first part of your totally
    >> incorrect reply, the main reason is for the Long Term Support that
    >> 8.04 has and 8.10 doesn't have.
    >>
    >> It's not a "must" but it is a smart move, IMHO.

    > Sorry, I don't get it, what's the smart move? Leave 8.04 because it
    > has a longer support?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Well, I guess the word "move" might be confusing. The smart thing, IMHO,
    is no "move" at all. Stay with the 8.04 LTS for the Long Term Support.

    Now if you really like cutting-edge stuff, then "moving" (upgrading)
    from 8.04 to 8.10 is an option. Some people even disagree that this
    would be any "upgrade" but rather a "downgrade."

    It all depends on your viewpoint of stability vs. possible improvements
    in the OS, hardware, or programs. I wouldn't do it on my machines, and
    in fact, I'm still running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on this very one. "It ain't
    broke, so I don't fix it." ;-)

    Meaning no disrespect Giff, your question(s) seem to indicate you are
    not yet a Linux guru. With that in mind, and if your present Ubuntu 8.04
    is working to your satisfaction, then you would be better off not
    jumping off into the unknown.

    If you do want to experiment, then the safer (saner) thing to do would
    be to try and obtain a used PC, even a junker from a dumpster, for
    experimental use.

    Then if something goes awry, you haven't knocked yourself "off the air,"
    and can still do online research to get the old PC running. An old PC,
    with a "disposable" OS, makes a very good learning environment.

    --
    John

  12. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Doesn't matter. The upgrade, actually the "dist-upgrade," won't do
    > anything to your home directory, regardless on what partition, drive, or
    > PC it resides. Now it may add new files, but it shouldn't remove old
    > files that contain user-definable settings, nor any of your
    > personally-created data.

    Ok, great, I was unaware of that.

    > There were several messages in this group in the past 48 hours

    I'll have a look at them, thanks.

    > Meaning no disrespect Giff, your question(s) seem to indicate you are
    > not yet a Linux guru.

    Hehe no disrespect at all, I am a noob

    > With that in mind, and if your present Ubuntu 8.04
    > is working to your satisfaction, then you would be better off not
    > jumping off into the unknown.

    The thing is that it isn't...

    Thanks for your messages.

  13. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Giff wrote:

    > If you do want to experiment, then the safer (saner) thing to do would
    > be to try and obtain a used PC, even a junker from a dumpster, for
    > experimental use.
    >
    > Then if something goes awry, you haven't knocked yourself "off the air,"
    > and can still do online research to get the old PC running. An old PC,
    > with a "disposable" OS, makes a very good learning environment.

    FWIW...just to add a note to John's comments....if your into tinkering,
    you might want to try running some of the virtual machine software
    that's available. They will allow a person to run various OS flavours
    in a virtual enviroment without the necessity of obtaining another
    computer unit to experiment with. Right now, my setup is a Vista
    VirtualBox host with Kubuntu v8.10 and openSuse v11 running as guests
    on my laptop. I also have a dual boot Vista/Ubuntu desktop system but
    since I started playing around with virtual software I find myself using
    the desktop unit less these days. :-)

  14. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    On 2008-11-10, Giff wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>
    >> Have you tried sharing your partition with either SAMBA

    > Samba is slower than NFS, AFAIK.

    I'm not sure about that. Here, samba seems to be a little faster...

    >> or SSHFS. I've
    >> been using SSHFS for years, and it works a charm.

    > Never heard of, I'll give it a try. Can I then mount remote folders on
    > my laptop and access them like if they were physically on my disk, like
    > NFS does?

    Yes. And the good news is that sshfs is a *LOT* faster than either
    samba or nfs, at least here...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  15. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Joe wrote:

    > Yes. And the good news is that sshfs is a *LOT* faster than either
    > samba or nfs, at least here...

    Great! sshfs did the job (well) out of the box, thanks Joe!

  16. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Giff wrote:
    > Great! sshfs did the job (well) out of the box, thanks Joe!

    Thanks Joe? Sheesh!

    --Benjamin Franklin

  17. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Joe wrote:
    > Yes. And the good news is that sshfs is a *LOT* faster than either
    > samba or nfs, at least here...

    Here, too.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  18. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    Giff wrote:
    > George Kettleborough wrote:
    >
    >> If there is some reason why you must keep using 8.04 and not upgrade

    > None. But upgrade means reinstalling everything (including settings and
    > applications) from scratch, doesn't it? Maybe it is the best thing to do
    > though...
    >
    > Thanks.

    This is the beauty of using a file system that actually splits the user
    from the system. I've had the same GNOME, Firefox etc. settings for
    years, used over several versions of Ubuntu and other distros like Arch
    Linux. I have a partition on a separate disk which I mount to /home. My
    system disk is worthless, I don't keep a back up of it, it could fail
    tomorrow and apart from the inconvenience it wouldn't really matter
    because there is no data on there that cannot be recreated easily (ie.
    reinstalling the OS).

    Certain operating systems that are not based on UNIX like to mix the
    user and the system in a very ugly way which leads to the misconception
    that formatting your system disk is like "starting again" or something
    which should not be true at all.

    --
    George Kettleborough

  19. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> Yes. And the good news is that sshfs is a *LOT* faster than either
    >> samba or nfs, at least here...

    > Here, too.

    I'm also a fan of sshfs. fuse is a really great thing (apart from ntfs
    apparently). I have a USB drive with Ubuntu on that I use on PCs with
    non-free software and I can easily and safely mount my user directory
    from many sites at once, even over the internet.

    --
    George Kettleborough

  20. Re: Can mount a ntfs partition using nfs from 8.10, not from 8.07

    On 2008-11-11, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Giff wrote:
    >> Great! sshfs did the job (well) out of the box, thanks Joe!

    > Thanks Joe? Sheesh!

    LOL. It's my charm and good looks... ;-)

    Thanks, Johnny! ;-)