X doesn't start on T40 after update to 8.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on X doesn't start on T40 after update to 8.10 - Ubuntu ; After updating I get a "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" at boot A few lines in the same window explain that "screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly" and have to be configured manually. ...

  1. X doesn't start on T40 after update to 8.10

    After updating I get a "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" at boot

    A few lines in the same window explain that "screen, graphics card and
    input device settings could not be detected correctly" and have to be
    configured manually.

    Things I tried:

    1) choosing reconfigure graphics from a window that follows that message
    2) sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org
    3) saving an old config as current xorg.conf

    I am running out of ideas.

    The machine is a Thinkpad T40 with ATI card

    Thank you for any help or suggestions

  2. Re: X doesn't start on T40 after update to 8.10

    Am Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:36:38 -0600 schrieb Chris:

    > A few lines in the same window explain that "screen, graphics card and
    > input device settings could not be detected correctly" and have to be
    > configured manually.
    > The machine is a Thinkpad T40 with ATI card
    >
    > Thank you for any help or suggestions

    I had the same problem with a T41.

    Try this xorg.conf:

    ########################
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "de"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    Option "EmulateWheel" "on"
    Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname "ATI Radeon"
    Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver "radeon"
    Screen 0
    Vendorname "ATI"
    Option "MergedFB" "off"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Option "EXANoComposite" "false"
    Option "FBTexPercent" "50"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    Option "DRI" "false"
    Option "GARTSize" "32"
    Option "AGPMode" "4"
    Option "Colortiling" "On"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW
    [Radeon Mobility 7500]"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    screen "Default Screen"
    Inputdevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    #####

    --
    The Bro Code - Article 1:
    Bros before ho's.

  3. Re: X doesn't start on T40 after update to 8.10

    > I had the same problem with a T41.
    >
    > Try this xorg.conf:

    Note: back up your original /etc/X11/xorg.conf first.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.7

  4. Re: X doesn't start on T40 after update to 8.10

    Till Potinius wrote:
    > Am Sun, 09 Nov 2008 05:36:38 -0600 schrieb Chris:
    >
    >> A few lines in the same window explain that "screen, graphics card and
    >> input device settings could not be detected correctly" and have to be
    >> configured manually.
    >> The machine is a Thinkpad T40 with ATI card
    >>
    >> Thank you for any help or suggestions

    > I had the same problem with a T41.
    >
    > Try this xorg.conf:

    Thank you. I have a working xorg.conf but when starting X I see a few
    error messages:

    "Saw signal 11. Server aborting"
    "giving up"
    "xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server"
    "xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error."
    "xauth: error in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority"

    I am on unfamiliar ground, any help to diagnose this appreciated

+ Reply to Thread