Hesturbing mouse . info - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hesturbing mouse . info - Ubuntu ; I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome Is there a way to get rid of the, in my opinion, useless info you get when hovering the mouse over an icon/applet in taskbar or others. For example hovering over the Firefox icon ...

  1. Hesturbing mouse . info

    I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome

    Is there a way to get rid of the, in my opinion, useless info you get when
    hovering the mouse over an icon/applet in taskbar or others. For example
    hovering over the Firefox icon shows "Firefox Web Browse, Browse the World
    Wide Web"

  2. Re: Hesturbing mouse . info

    Iordani wrote:
    > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome
    >
    > Is there a way to get rid of the, in my opinion, useless info you get when
    > hovering the mouse over an icon/applet in taskbar or others. For example
    > hovering over the Firefox icon shows "Firefox Web Browse, Browse the World
    > Wide Web"

    Hover over the icon, right click, select 'properties' and change the
    name and description to suit yourself. That works for me.

  3. Re: Hesturbing mouse . info

    Iordani wrote:
    > I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 / Gnome
    >
    > Is there a way to get rid of the, in my opinion, useless info you get when
    > hovering the mouse over an icon/applet in taskbar or others. For example
    > hovering over the Firefox icon shows "Firefox Web Browse, Browse the World
    > Wide Web"

    The "easiest" methods would be to not hover, or to move the mouse
    somewhere else. ;-)

    Slightly more difficult methods are available, like those offered by
    Mike and SFB.

    Or you could use a TTY terminal through
    all the time.

    Other ridiculous fixes would be to killx or back down to a lesser runlevel.

    Personally, I sometimes find the info useful, and wouldn't want to
    remove it.

    Are you picking at straws? ;-)

    --
    John

  4. Re: Hesturbing mouse . info

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    > On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:09:31 -0500
    > "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 01:59:44 +0100
    >> Iordani wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to get rid of the, in my opinion, useless info you
    >> > get when hovering the mouse over an icon/applet in taskbar or
    >> > others. For example hovering over the Firefox icon shows "Firefox
    >> > Web Browse, Browse the World Wide Web"
    >> >

    >> Unsetting the /apps/panel/global/tooltips_enabled key in GConf should
    >> do what you're looking for.
    >>

    > Sorry, I should clarify this; it will _partially_ do what you're
    > looking for. It only controls the panel itself. You'll have to check
    > to see if there are equivalent settings for the panel applet(s) that
    > you use, since they are independent running Bonobo applet objects that
    > are just "docked" into the panel. I don't see a way to disable their
    > tooltips at the moment.

    Thanks a lot! That will do just fine for now. Pew! That was a relief, to
    get rid of those ones!

  5. Re: Hesturbing mouse . info

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Personally, I sometimes find the info useful, and wouldn't want to
    > remove it.

    YMMV. At least now you know how, should you change your mind.

  6. Re: Hesturbing mouse . info

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    > Well, I can't find the answer for all of them for you, but I can
    > share with you what I learned in the couple of hours of hunting
    > yesterday:
    >
    > * GTK+ has a property "gtk-enable-tooltips" (or maybe
    > "gtk_enable_tooltips") that supposedly can be applied to
    > widgets since 2.14.0 (Intrepid uses 2.14.4, for reference).
    > * This property can (supposedly) be placed in your
    > ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.
    >
    > That's not a lot. ;-)
    >
    > What I don't know is how to use the gtkrc to apply that property to the
    > panel and all it's children. I imagine there _must_ be a way, but that
    > seems to be a question that someone who knows GTK+ at a much lower
    > level than I would have to answer.

    Thanks for your time and effort.
    I have tried to find answers myself too but nu luck so far. I'm surprised
    they seem so hard to find. Surely I can't be the only one who don't want
    to see "Click to view your appointments and tasks" every time you place the
    cursor on the panel clock. How can you *not* know that already if using
    Ubuntu? Hmmm...

+ Reply to Thread