v8.10 Wifi works but doesn't show - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on v8.10 Wifi works but doesn't show - Ubuntu ; My Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 worked fine and was fully configurable on Hardy Heron 8.04. Upgraded via the update manager and wifi still works fine but the network configuration manager states there is no connection and does not list my wifi ...

  1. v8.10 Wifi works but doesn't show

    My Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 worked fine and was fully configurable on Hardy
    Heron 8.04.

    Upgraded via the update manager and wifi still works fine but the
    network configuration manager states there is no connection and does not
    list my wifi connection.

    Geoff Lane

  2. Re: v8.10 Wifi works but doesn't show

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:46:03 +0000, Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Upgraded via the update manager and wifi still works fine but the
    > network configuration manager states there is no connection and does not
    > list my wifi connection.

    Try wicd

  3. Re: v8.10 Wifi works but doesn't show

    Derek Turner wrote:

    >> Upgraded via the update manager and wifi still works fine but the
    >> network configuration manager states there is no connection and does not
    >> list my wifi connection.
    >>

    > Try wicd

    I've got a dual boot (Heron and Ibix) at the moment so I'll instal it on
    Ibix and see what happens but strange that a supposedly more advanced
    connection friendly version tells me I have no connection when the wifi
    is working perfectly.

    Obviously I would need to access the configuration if I needed to change
    any settings.

    Thanks for suggestion,

    Geoff Lane

  4. Re: v8.10 Wifi works but doesn't show

    NetworkManager and nm-applet are crap whether they're on 8.04 or 8.10.

    You can wrap a turd in a piece of bacon, but it's still a turd on the
    inside. I love wicd.

    I'm not sure if wicd will help you though. I had that issue with my
    Atheros 5007. I could see that I had a wireless card and iwconfig would
    show me the card and lspci showed me the specifications, but I couldn't
    see any networks. Installing the ath5k module fixed my problems (I can't
    remember the package name off hand. It's in the Intrepid Backports (I
    think)). Hell, I can even inject packets using aireplay-ng now. Couldn't
    be happier. If you have an Atheros 5k card I recommend using the ath5k
    module. If you need help finding the package name I made a post on
    ubuntuforums about it.

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >

    >>> Upgraded via the update manager and wifi still works fine but the
    >>> network configuration manager states there is no connection and does not
    >>> list my wifi connection.
    >>>

    >> Try wicd

    > I've got a dual boot (Heron and Ibix) at the moment so I'll instal it on
    > Ibix and see what happens but strange that a supposedly more advanced
    > connection friendly version tells me I have no connection when the wifi
    > is working perfectly.
    >
    > Obviously I would need to access the configuration if I needed to change
    > any settings.
    >
    > Thanks for suggestion,
    >
    > Geoff Lane

+ Reply to Thread