Multiple instances of PAN - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Multiple instances of PAN - Ubuntu ; How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1? Thanks....

  1. Multiple instances of PAN

    How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:52:01 -0600, Nico wrote:

    > How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?

    Ummmmm..... You open the program twice... Right?

    Wow, that was easy, eh?

  3. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    Nico wrote:
    > How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Launch it twice.

    But why?

    --
    John

  4. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:22:56 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Nico wrote:
    >> How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Launch it twice.
    >
    > But why?

    Right, and loose your settings and data. Been there, done that.

    stonefish

  5. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:40:16 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?

    >> Launch it twice.

    > Right, and loose your settings and data. Been there, done that.

    If the settings are loose, just tighten them up. Simple, no?

    Launching the program twice will not cause any problems with the
    "settings". Absolutely not.

  6. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:22:56 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Nico wrote:
    >> How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Launch it twice.
    >
    > But why?

    I must not be asking the question right.

    I want to be able to have two independent instances running
    simultaneously using different servers and storing the data in different
    places. As though they were entirely different programs. With synaptic,
    it already has been installed, so I can't simply install another one.

    Does that clarify my question?

  7. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 00:39:54 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Launch it twice.

    >> Right, and loose your settings and data. Been there, done that.

    > If the settings are loose, just tighten them up. Simple, no?
    >
    > Launching the program twice will not cause any problems with the
    > "settings". Absolutely not.

    Ok, "Lose". Now that everyone knows I spell like a third grader.

    "Settings" like the name and address of the newservers. And "Data" like
    the articles. If I have a double instance of pan, there is always a
    problem. Does it work for you?

  8. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    Nico wrote in

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:22:56 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Nico wrote:
    >>> How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu
    >>> 8.04.1?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Launch it twice.
    >>
    >> But why?

    > I must not be asking the question right.
    >
    > I want to be able to have two independent instances running
    > simultaneously using different servers and storing the data in
    > different places. As though they were entirely different programs.
    > With synaptic, it already has been installed, so I can't simply
    > install another one.
    >
    > Does that clarify my question?

    From a recent exchange on the PAN mailling list:

    you'd have to do would be to set the environment variable
    PAN_HOME to something other than $HOME/.pan2 for the second instance.
    For example, you could set it to $HOME/.pan2.2 and the 2nd instance
    would use ~/.pan2.2 for its database. To make it more convenient, you
    could write a 2-line script that sets PAN_HOME to the non-standard
    value and then runs pan. You would then just use that script to launch
    the 2nd instance. You could have 2 panel launchers, with one just
    launching pan normally and the other running the script.

    --
    Cheers,
    Kurt

  9. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 07:25:17 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> Right, and loose your settings and data. Been there, done that.

    >> If the settings are loose, just tighten them up. Simple, no?
    >>
    >> Launching the program twice will not cause any problems with the
    >> "settings". Absolutely not.

    > Ok, "Lose". Now that everyone knows I spell like a third grader.
    >
    > "Settings" like the name and address of the newservers. And "Data" like
    > the articles. If I have a double instance of pan, there is always a
    > problem. Does it work for you?

    I did try a second launch yesterday before I replied to your post, to make
    sure it would indeed launch a second instance.

    This was verified with a second button appearing in the bottom panel, and
    further verified by two Pan processes being listed in the ps command
    output.

    That is as far as I checked to see if it "works."

    I checked again just now, and still can launch two instances. To make sure
    it didn't "break" something, I'm posting this reply.

    This may not be sufficient "proof" for you however, since I'm using Pan
    version 0.14.2.91 and you are using the 0.129 version which is known to be
    buggy, or missing many features.

    You might be correct in the idea that Pan could write "opposing" data in
    the ~/.pan directory, but I would like to believe the file has a lock to
    keep this from happening -- at least to stop any scrambling from both
    processes trying to write at the same time. That would likely cause Pan to
    crash, or even go as far as a system oops.

    Now if you were to "reply" to the same message using both instances, or
    try to download ("refresh") the active list from the same server in both
    instances, there might be a problem, just like multiple people having a
    database open at the same time.

    I still don't think this would happen though, and kinda believe Pan would
    just behave as if you (as one person) had two different "views" into the
    same directories and files.

    Somebody with a new install may want to try this and report back. I prefer
    not to because I do have significant data archived in my Pan, on this PC,
    and certainly wouldn't want to gamble in losing it. ;-)

    I didn't find an answer to satisfy my curiosity why Nico wants to do this?

    It won't help him open more connections to a particular server, nor will
    it improve his speed downloading binaries. For that, may I suggest
    klibido, an excellent binaries-only news client?

    --
    John

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to
    tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human
    being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  10. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:52:01 -0600, Nico wrote:

    > How do I set up 2 separate instances of PAN 0.132 in Ubuntu 8.04.1?

    You might want to try the old version of Pan, 0.14.2.91. It does not
    combine all servers as the new one does. Plus you can run separate
    instances just by clicking the Pan icon on your start menu.

    The biggest drawback of the old version is that the new version performs
    better in large binary groups. So if you're using Pan for text usenet,
    there is no good reason to use the new (and in many ways inferior)
    version.

    If you want to try it, you can download the .deb file
    (pan_0.14.2.91-2_i386) here:

    http://ftp.gva.es/mirror/debian2/pool/main/p/pan/

    --
    Tony Sivori
    Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

  11. Re: Multiple instances of PAN

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 06:51:54 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 07:25:17 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    >>> If the settings are loose, just tighten them up. Simple, no?
    >>>
    >>> Launching the program twice will not cause any problems with the
    >>> "settings". Absolutely not.

    >> Ok, "Lose". Now that everyone knows I spell like a third grader.
    >>
    >> "Settings" like the name and address of the newservers. And "Data"
    >> like the articles. If I have a double instance of pan, there is always
    >> a problem. Does it work for you?

    > I did try a second launch yesterday before I replied to your post, to
    > make sure it would indeed launch a second instance.
    >
    > This was verified with a second button appearing in the bottom panel,
    > and further verified by two Pan processes being listed in the ps command
    > output.
    >
    > That is as far as I checked to see if it "works."
    >
    > I checked again just now, and still can launch two instances. To make
    > sure it didn't "break" something, I'm posting this reply.
    >
    > This may not be sufficient "proof" for you however, since I'm using Pan
    > version 0.14.2.91 and you are using the 0.129 version which is known to
    > be buggy, or missing many features.

    I may upgrade. I made the mistake of double opening pan once. ***Well
    actually I did it a a couple of times*** With two pans open, neither
    would work. And after closing them, and restarting just one, my servers
    were lost, and had to be re-entered. Including re-loading all the
    headers and the loss of read/unread status.

+ Reply to Thread