Plug n Play? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Plug n Play? - Ubuntu ; When I put my USB stick into the port, ubuntu does not recognize it unless I do a reboot. Any ideas what is wrong? Tks....

  1. Plug n Play?

    When I put my USB stick into the port, ubuntu does not recognize it unless I
    do a reboot.
    Any ideas what is wrong?
    Tks.

  2. Re: Plug n Play?

    Pete wrote:
    > When I put my USB stick into the port, ubuntu does not recognize it
    > unless I do a reboot.
    > Any ideas what is wrong?
    > Tks.

    Are you waiting long enough for the system to mount and read it?

    In a terminal, enter:

    sudo tail -F /var/log/syslog

    Then plug in the USB device.

    See if there is anything logged, and if so, copy it and paste it into a
    reply message here in this newsgroup.

    If there is nothing logged, try instead:

    sudo tail -F /var/log/messages

    Then plug in the USB device.

    Since you didn't mention what version of Ubuntu, I can only guess that
    you don't have some hotplug program (or library) installed.

    You might need to add the device to the /etc/fstab file so that it can
    mount a filesystem, or use the mount command. This is unlikely since it
    does mount on a reboot.

    Perhaps the lsmod command will show you if the USB module is already
    loaded, and if not, use the modprobe {device} command to install it.

    See the man pages for these commands

    --
    John