Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10 - Ubuntu ; On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:10:33 +0100, Steve T. wrote: > I tried to upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 8.10. However, I got this message: > > "This computer is currently using the NVIDIA 'nvidia' graphics driver. > No version ...

  1. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:10:33 +0100, Steve T. wrote:

    > I tried to upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 8.10. However, I got this message:
    >
    > "This computer is currently using the NVIDIA 'nvidia' graphics driver.
    > No version of this driver is available that works with your video card
    > in Ubuntu 8.10."
    >
    > What to do?
    >
    > Steve T.

    This may offer some insight:

    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/common-pro...ns-for-nvidia-
    restricted-drivers-after-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-upgrade.html

  2. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Steve T. wrote:
    > Nico wrote
    >
    >> This may offer some insight:

    > Thanks Nico and 'propman'. Some awfully complicated stuff there, but
    > nothing about my video card (Viper V330, RIVA TNT2). I don't
    > understand why the current 8.04 driver does not work under Ubuntu
    > 8.10. I mean, it's not like I want to install a different OS. If
    > that's the way Ubuntu "functions" I shall look for a more suitable
    > Linux distribution. I don't want this **** every six months.
    >
    > Steve T.

    8.10 includes the latest version of X which ****canned the older nvidia
    cards. So who do you blame? X.org, or Ubuntu for using the latest and
    the greatest. My gforce4 also doesn't work with 3D, but the default NV
    driver works great, just no 3D support.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/rele...ideo%20support

    I believe any distro that uses the latest version of X will have this
    same problem, so check the X.org version before installing.

    Maybe it's time to upgrade that ancient card. If you decide to, this
    link might help you find a model that is newer than a gforce 4 series:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_Units

  3. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:
    > Steve T. wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Nico and 'propman'. Some awfully complicated stuff there,
    >> but nothing about my video card (Viper V330, RIVA TNT2). I don't
    >> understand why the current 8.04 driver does not work under Ubuntu
    >> 8.10. I mean, it's not like I want to install a different OS. If
    >> that's the way Ubuntu "functions" I shall look for a more suitable
    >> Linux distribution. I don't want this **** every six months.

    > The reason the old driver does not work is because of---as "User"
    > said---the latest version of X.org being used. Eventually, all
    > distributions will no longer be able to use the old drivers for
    > the very same reason.
    >
    > This is a direct result of NVIDIA keeping the source code to its
    > drivers a secret. It would be nice if they'd at least open-source
    > the ancient drivers so that they can be kept up-to-date with the
    > latest API changes and enhancements to X, just like the rest of
    > the open-source drivers are.

    Why don't you just stick with 8.04? It is a long-term-support
    version, and so will be maintained for three years. 8.10 is a
    short term version, and will require upgrading within the year.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Steve T. wrote:
    > I don't
    > understand why the current 8.04 driver does not work under Ubuntu
    > 8.10. I mean, it's not like I want to install a different OS. If
    > that's the way Ubuntu "functions" I shall look for a more suitable
    > Linux distribution. I don't want this **** every six months.

    Nor do you care to understand. Back to Windows for you.

    Ciao.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:
    >
    >> Steve T. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thanks Nico and 'propman'. Some awfully complicated stuff there,
    >>> but nothing about my video card (Viper V330, RIVA TNT2). I don't
    >>> understand why the current 8.04 driver does not work under Ubuntu
    >>> 8.10. I mean, it's not like I want to install a different OS. If
    >>> that's the way Ubuntu "functions" I shall look for a more suitable
    >>> Linux distribution. I don't want this **** every six months.
    >>>

    >> The reason the old driver does not work is because of---as "User"
    >> said---the latest version of X.org being used. Eventually, all
    >> distributions will no longer be able to use the old drivers for
    >> the very same reason.
    >>
    >> This is a direct result of NVIDIA keeping the source code to its
    >> drivers a secret. It would be nice if they'd at least open-source
    >> the ancient drivers so that they can be kept up-to-date with the
    >> latest API changes and enhancements to X, just like the rest of
    >> the open-source drivers are.
    >>

    > Why don't you just stick with 8.04? It is a long-term-support
    > version, and so will be maintained for three years. 8.10 is a
    > short term version, and will require upgrading within the year.

    Actually, Chuck, 8.10 "should" be upgraded several times in the
    following year, but this ability to upgrade will cease after a year or
    so, when Canonical stops providing upgrade support.

    It will still be usable, but like an old car with bald tires and no way
    to fix anything that may break, it will become quite a task to maintain
    it on your own. ;-)

    Then it becomes prudent to do a dist-upgrade to whatever version is
    available and has support.

    The 8.04 version is good for three years (five if a "server" install),
    and as you point out, it would make more sense to use it.

    Get a different PC, or use a VM to experiment with the cutting edge
    stuff, and keep the 8.04 for the necessary and important duties.

    --
    John

  6. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Mark Isacson wrote:

    > johnny bobby bee
    > wrote today:
    >
    >> Back to Windows for you.

    > Do you mean that Windows is easier to use and
    > therefore better for 99% of all PC users and
    > that Linux is only for sectarian geeks? I
    > thought that Linux had progressed beyond that,
    > and certainly the Ubuntu family. It looks like
    > you haven't though.
    >
    > Mark Isacson

    How much are you spending for anti virus
    protection using MicroSucks? :-)

  7. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > Mark Isacson wrote:
    >
    >> johnny bobby bee
    >> wrote today:
    >>
    >>> Back to Windows for you.

    >> Do you mean that Windows is easier to use and
    >> therefore better for 99% of all PC users and
    >> that Linux is only for sectarian geeks? I
    >> thought that Linux had progressed beyond that,
    >> and certainly the Ubuntu family. It looks like
    >> you haven't though.
    >>
    >> Mark Isacson

    > How much are you spending for anti virus
    > protection using MicroSucks? :-)

    AVG et al..........

  8. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    propman wrote:

    > Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >> Mark Isacson wrote:

    >> How much are you spending for anti virus
    >> protection using MicroSucks? :-)

    > AVG et al..........

    *None* of these "anti-virus" programs actually works. All of them are simply
    fooled by trivially simple modifications to malware files (including random
    nop commands is one method), and are therefore *no* *use* whatsoever.
    The "anti-virus" snake-oil salesmen really need to be exposed for the frauds
    that they are!

    The /only/ way to avoid Windows malware is /not/ to run Windows!

    C.

  9. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >
    >> Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >>> Mark Isacson wrote:

    >>> How much are you spending for anti virus
    >>> protection using MicroSucks? :-)

    >> AVG et al..........

    > *None* of these "anti-virus" programs actually works. All of them are simply
    > fooled by trivially simple modifications to malware files (including random
    > nop commands is one method), and are therefore *no* *use* whatsoever.
    > The "anti-virus" snake-oil salesmen really need to be exposed for the frauds
    > that they are!
    >
    > The /only/ way to avoid Windows malware is /not/ to run Windows!
    >
    > C.

    Whatever...........idiot *plonk*

  10. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >

    >> Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mark Isacson wrote:
    >>>

    >>> How much are you spending for anti virus
    >>> protection using MicroSucks? :-)
    >>>

    >> AVG et al..........
    >>

    > *None* of these "anti-virus" programs actually works. All of them are simply
    > fooled by trivially simple modifications to malware files (including random
    > nop commands is one method), and are therefore *no* *use* whatsoever.
    > The "anti-virus" snake-oil salesmen really need to be exposed for the frauds
    > that they are!
    >
    > The /only/ way to avoid Windows malware is /not/ to run Windows!
    >
    > C.

    I hope your reply is meant that they don't work in a Unix environment.
    But read on....

    They certainly do work in a Windows environment though, and running
    Windows without some form of AV protection is even more stupid than,
    well, running Windows.

    I'd even go as far as to say that a few years ago I scanned my
    Thunderbird mailstore on a Lindows PC, using Norton AV on a Windows XP
    PC, over the LAN, and it did find several infected messages. It couldn't
    "repair" them though, but it certainly found the infections, which
    naturally didn't affect the Linux environment.

    --
    John

  11. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    >> *None* of these "anti-virus" programs actually works. All of them are
    >> simply
    >> fooled by trivially simple modifications to malware files (including
    >> random
    >> nop commands is one method), and are therefore *no* *use* whatsoever.
    >> The "anti-virus" snake-oil salesmen really need to be exposed for the
    >> frauds
    >> that they are!
    >>
    >> The /only/ way to avoid Windows malware is /not/ to run Windows!
    >>
    >> C.

    > Whatever...........idiot *plonk*

    Just because you disagree doesn't make HIM an idiot. Be careful here,
    the tables may turn on you.

    Drumstick

  12. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    Drumstick wrote:
    >>> *None* of these "anti-virus" programs actually works. All of them
    >>> are simply
    >>> fooled by trivially simple modifications to malware files (including
    >>> random
    >>> nop commands is one method), and are therefore *no* *use* whatsoever.
    >>> The "anti-virus" snake-oil salesmen really need to be exposed for the
    >>> frauds
    >>> that they are!
    >>>
    >>> The /only/ way to avoid Windows malware is /not/ to run Windows!
    >>>
    >>> C.

    >> Whatever...........idiot *plonk*

    > Just because you disagree doesn't make HIM an idiot. Be careful here,
    > the tables may turn on you.
    >
    > Drumstick

    Oh good.........yet another one. Goodbye.........*plonk*

  13. Re: NVIDIA driver problem with 8.10

    propman wrote:
    > Drumstick wrote:
    >>
    >> Just because you disagree doesn't make HIM an idiot. Be careful here,
    >> the tables may turn on you.
    >>
    >> Drumstick

    > Oh good.........yet another one. Goodbye.........*plonk*

    Hehe....now that's a great way to get the help you need.

    Drumstick

+ Reply to Thread