BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid - Ubuntu ; I can't figure out what the problem is here. Something seems to have broken on the BBC iPlayer with Intrepid. The BBC News website has small video players in some of their articles; these work fine. I would have assumed ...

  1. BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid

    I can't figure out what the problem is here. Something seems to have
    broken on the BBC iPlayer with Intrepid.

    The BBC News website has small video players in some of their articles;
    these work fine. I would have assumed that it was the same thing; Flash
    for example, but the iPlayer just won't load the player.
    This worked fine in Hardy, and YouTube still works.

    Oh, wait, is it Java???

    http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...es/flash_recog

    No, it isn't.
    Then, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

    The .swf file is named 9player.swf, so maybe it's looking for Flash 9
    and is too stupid to recognise Flash 10?

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008101315
    Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.3

    Mind, you aboutlugins doesn't really help.

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12

    Indeed.

  2. Re: BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > I can't figure out what the problem is here. Something seems to have
    > broken on the BBC iPlayer with Intrepid.
    >
    > The BBC News website has small video players in some of their articles;
    > these work fine. I would have assumed that it was the same thing; Flash
    > for example, but the iPlayer just won't load the player.
    > This worked fine in Hardy, and YouTube still works.
    >
    > Oh, wait, is it Java???
    >
    > http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...es/flash_recog
    >
    > No, it isn't.
    > Then, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
    >
    > The .swf file is named 9player.swf, so maybe it's looking for Flash 9
    > and is too stupid to recognise Flash 10?
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008101315
    > Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.3
    >
    > Mind, you aboutlugins doesn't really help.
    >
    > File name: libflashplayer.so
    > Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124
    >
    > File name: libflashplayer.so
    > Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12
    >
    > Indeed.

    Scrub that!

    Now it's working, but without sound. No, nothing changed.
    YouTube is now in the same position also.

    I would guess that Firefox is randomly switching between 9 and 10. 10
    removed and I'm back to 9's lack of sound.

    AFAICT there is no way to REMOVE 9 from Firefox, Gawd knows why!
    Disabling 9 just disables Flash altogether. Nicely done.

    Just tried reinstalling flashplugin-nonfree (Flash 10) and it's
    completely ignored.
    It not even shown in the "Add-ons" area, but is listed in aboutlugins!

    "Download done.
    Flash Plugin installed."

    Lies! Where? Plugin for what? Opera is no longer in the repositories
    so it's not for that.

    I assume there's some symbolic linking I should try here...... but I
    should *have* to!

  3. Re: BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid

    > but I should *have* to!

    shouldn't

  4. Re: BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid

    Sound's back! Nothing's changed...

  5. Re: BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Sound's back! Nothing's changed...

    Various apps are trying to use the same channel, apparently (i.e.
    Amarok, Firefox w/ Flash). Need to choose from all the various sound
    daemons / mixers (ESD, ALSA, OSS) to get everything working.

  6. Re: BBC iPlayer and Ubuntu Intrepid

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Sound's back! Nothing's changed...

    > Various apps are trying to use the same channel, apparently (i.e.
    > Amarok, Firefox w/ Flash). Need to choose from all the various sound
    > daemons / mixers (ESD, ALSA, OSS) to get everything working.

    Flash has stopped working. Nothing has changed.

    This is great, right?

+ Reply to Thread