sudo apt-get dist-upgrade - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on sudo apt-get dist-upgrade - Ubuntu ; I tried this command in terminal and I got no results. Here is the output in terminal. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade [sudo] password for klutzierthanmost: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Calculating upgrade... Done 0 upgraded, ...

  1. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    I tried this command in terminal and I got no results.

    Here is the output in terminal.

    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    [sudo] password for klutzierthanmost:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done

    So what am I doing wrong?

    I am klutzier than most.

  2. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    On 2008-11-08, Klutzierthanmost wrote:
    > I tried this command in terminal and I got no results.
    >
    > Here is the output in terminal.
    >
    > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    > [sudo] password for klutzierthanmost:
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > Calculating upgrade... Done
    >
    > So what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > I am klutzier than most.

    You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install.

    dist-upgrade
    dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
    intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages;
    apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to
    upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if
    necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from
    which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a
    mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.

    Dist-upgrade will simply install all of the available updates along
    with any dependencies.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 01:13:00 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-11-08, Klutzierthanmost wrote:
    >> I tried this command in terminal and I got no results.
    >>
    >> Here is the output in terminal.
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >> [sudo] password for klutzierthanmost: Reading package lists... Done
    >> Building dependency tree
    >> Reading state information... Done
    >> Calculating upgrade... Done
    >> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    >>
    >> So what am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> I am klutzier than most.

    > You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install.
    >
    > dist-upgrade
    > dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
    > intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
    > packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
    > attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
    > important ones if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a
    > list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See
    > also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general
    > settings for individual packages.
    >
    > Dist-upgrade will simply install all of the available updates along with
    > any dependencies.

    "You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install."

    Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do
    I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.

    The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10 set up in the
    repositories so this command will work?

    I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my information and
    programs that I have installed since 7.04.

    Am I missing a command, is there another command, that I can upgrade to
    8.10 at this time or, is it just not set up at this time in the software
    repositories to upgrade through the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or
    update manager.

    I really do not want to have to go and get the 8.10 ISO and start from
    scratch, but if I have to I will. I guess a few more weeks will tell.

    I am Klutzier than most

  4. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    Klutzierthanmost wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 01:13:00 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-08, Klutzierthanmost wrote:
    >>> I tried this command in terminal and I got no results.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the output in terminal.
    >>>
    >>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >>> [sudo] password for klutzierthanmost: Reading package lists... Done
    >>> Building dependency tree
    >>> Reading state information... Done
    >>> Calculating upgrade... Done
    >>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    >>>
    >>> So what am I doing wrong?
    >>>
    >>> I am klutzier than most.

    >> You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install.
    >>
    >> dist-upgrade
    >> dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
    >> intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
    >> packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
    >> attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
    >> important ones if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a
    >> list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See
    >> also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general
    >> settings for individual packages.
    >>
    >> Dist-upgrade will simply install all of the available updates along with
    >> any dependencies.

    > "You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install."
    >
    > Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do
    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.
    >
    > The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10 set up in the
    > repositories so this command will work?
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my information and
    > programs that I have installed since 7.04.
    >
    > Am I missing a command, is there another command, that I can upgrade to
    > 8.10 at this time or, is it just not set up at this time in the software
    > repositories to upgrade through the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or
    > update manager.
    >
    > I really do not want to have to go and get the 8.10 ISO and start from
    > scratch, but if I have to I will. I guess a few more weeks will tell.
    >
    > I am Klutzier than most

    By default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will not offer a upgrade to 8.10. This is
    because the 8.04 LTS version is a long term support release and 8.10 is
    a regular release. Upgrades from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 are fully supported,
    of course, and easy to enable.

    You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (see
    UpgradeNotes).

    The upgrade will not be presented by default because 8.10 is not
    a Long Term Support (LTS) release.

    Be sure that you have all updates applied to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS before
    you upgrade.

    Before upgrading it is recommended that you read the release notes for
    Ubuntu 8.10, which document caveats and workarounds for known issues in
    this version.

    go to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IntrepidUpgrades and look for
    "Network Upgrade"

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  5. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:04:29 +0000, Klutzierthanmost mumbled:

    > "You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install."
    >
    > Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do I am trying to
    > upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.
    >
    > The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10 set up in
    > the repositories so this command will work?
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my information and
    > programs that I have installed since 7.04.
    >
    > Am I missing a command, is there another command, that I can upgrade to
    > 8.10 at this time or, is it just not set up at this time in the software
    > repositories to upgrade through the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or
    > update manager.
    >
    > I really do not want to have to go and get the 8.10 ISO and start from
    > scratch, but if I have to I will. I guess a few more weeks will tell.
    >
    > I am Klutzier than most

    OK. I can tell you the gui way to do it. Ubuntu 8.04 is a long term
    support release so the release upgrade is disabled. You can enable it in
    software sources. Click on System - Administration - Software Sources,
    enter your password, in software sources, click on the updates tab, at
    the bottom should be "Release Upgrade" with a selection box. You will
    have three choices, you want "Normal Releases" selected. Close that dialog
    box and the upgrade will then work.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  6. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    On 2008-11-08, Klutzierthanmost wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 01:13:00 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-11-08, Klutzierthanmost wrote:
    >>> I tried this command in terminal and I got no results.
    >>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    >> You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install.
    >>
    >> dist-upgrade
    >> dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
    >> intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
    >> packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
    >> attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
    >> important ones if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a
    >> list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See
    >> also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general
    >> settings for individual packages.
    >>
    >> Dist-upgrade will simply install all of the available updates along with
    >> any dependencies.

    > Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do
    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.
    >
    > The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10 set up in the
    > repositories so this command will work?

    I believe if you are using the the apt-get method, after running
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    you will then have to hand modify /etc/apt/sources.list changing
    any references of hardy to intrepid and then issue the command
    apt-get dist-upgrade again.

    The first time you used apt-get dist-upgrade was to ensure your
    system was in a completley current state. The second time is to
    change the system to the new version. You should probably have
    a look at the intrepid release notes to see if there are any gotchas
    or pre-dependancies.

    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my information and
    > programs that I have installed since 7.04.
    >
    > Am I missing a command, is there another command, that I can upgrade to
    > 8.10 at this time or, is it just not set up at this time in the software
    > repositories to upgrade through the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or
    > update manager.

    I believe update-manager should notify you and handle an upgrade,
    while apt-get allows you to set up your machine.

    > I really do not want to have to go and get the 8.10 ISO and start from
    > scratch, but if I have to I will. I guess a few more weeks will tell.

    fwiw, the weekend before Intrepid was released I upgraded an 8 month
    old 7.10 installation to 8.04 and straight on to 8.10beta. I don't
    have too many extra packages installed however the 8.04 - 8.10 upgrade
    was about 1400Mb download.
    Not sure how much it will help in the upgrade, but the 8.10 ISO
    might actually be re-usable

  7. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    Vance Howard pisze:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:04:29 +0000, Klutzierthanmost mumbled:
    >
    >> "You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install."
    >>
    >> Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do I am trying to
    >> upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.
    >>
    >> The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10 set up in
    >> the repositories so this command will work?
    >>
    >> I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my information and
    >> programs that I have installed since 7.04.
    >>
    >> Am I missing a command, is there another command, that I can upgrade to
    >> 8.10 at this time or, is it just not set up at this time in the software
    >> repositories to upgrade through the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade or
    >> update manager.
    >>
    >> I really do not want to have to go and get the 8.10 ISO and start from
    >> scratch, but if I have to I will. I guess a few more weeks will tell.
    >>
    >> I am Klutzier than most

    > OK. I can tell you the gui way to do it. Ubuntu 8.04 is a long term
    > support release so the release upgrade is disabled. You can enable it in
    > software sources. Click on System - Administration - Software Sources,
    > enter your password, in software sources, click on the updates tab, at
    > the bottom should be "Release Upgrade" with a selection box. You will
    > have three choices, you want "Normal Releases" selected. Close that dialog
    > box and the upgrade will then work.

    look at this:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

  8. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    Klutzierthanmost wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do
    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.
    >
    > The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10
    > set up in the repositories so this command will work?
    >
    > I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my
    > information and programs that I have installed since 7.04.

    I suggest you stick with 8.04, unless you have important specific
    reasons to want 8.10. 8.04 is a long term version, and will be
    supported for 3 years. 8.10 is a short term version, and will not
    be supported after about 1 year.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  9. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    Mike Rechtman wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > By default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will not offer a upgrade to 8.10. This

    > is because the 8.04 LTS version is a long term support release
    > and 8.10 is a regular release. Upgrades from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 are

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > fully supported, of course, and easy to enable.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    I suggest you read that again.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  10. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:16:15 +0100, B├╝czek wrote:

    > Vance Howard pisze:
    >> On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:04:29 +0000, Klutzierthanmost mumbled:
    >>
    >>> "You did nothing wrong. There were no updates to install."
    >>>
    >>> Just to make sure you understand what I am trying to do I am trying to
    >>> upgrade to 8.10 and not update 8.04.
    >>>
    >>> The question then becomes; Will there be an upgrade to 8.10 set up in
    >>> the repositories so this command will work?
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to upgrade to 8.10 with out loosing all my information and
    >>> programs that I have installed since 7.04.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing a command, is there another command, that I can upgrade
    >>> to 8.10 at this time or, is it just not set up at this time in the
    >>> software repositories to upgrade through the command sudo apt-get
    >>> dist-upgrade or update manager.
    >>>
    >>> I really do not want to have to go and get the 8.10 ISO and start from
    >>> scratch, but if I have to I will. I guess a few more weeks will tell.
    >>>
    >>> I am Klutzier than most

    >> OK. I can tell you the gui way to do it. Ubuntu 8.04 is a long term
    >> support release so the release upgrade is disabled. You can enable it
    >> in software sources. Click on System - Administration - Software
    >> Sources, enter your password, in software sources, click on the updates
    >> tab, at the bottom should be "Release Upgrade" with a selection box.
    >> You will have three choices, you want "Normal Releases" selected. Close
    >> that dialog box and the upgrade will then work.
    >>

    > look at this:
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

    Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

    This has very good screen shots of what you should see and how to reset
    the Release upgrade section...

    And Thanks also for the above web sites. I was all around both web sites
    looking on how to upgrade but I did not find either specific site.

    I will also guess that there are a few lurkers out there saying thank you
    also.

    I am Klutzier than most.

  11. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    I have not yet found any big problems with Intrepid, and am upgrading
    all my non-work computers to it, one every so many days,.

    On 2008-11-09, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:57:49 -0500
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >> 8.10 is a short term version, and will not be supported after about
    >> 1 year.
    >>

    > 3 years on the desktop, 5 years on the server for LTS releases, and 18
    > months for non-LTS releases.[1]
    >
    > Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10) is not an LTS release. It is, however, a
    > stable release, and can be used with support and updates for 18
    > months. One can, of course, choose to use it for six months or less.
    > Some people (like me) will begin running Jaunty after the first or
    > second beta. Obviously, I don't recommend this to people who expect
    > their computer to continue to function. ;-)
    >
    > --- Mike
    >
    > [1] http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whati...fits/lifecycle

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    in 74237 20081109 015749 CBFalconer wrote:

    >I suggest you stick with 8.04, unless you have important specific
    >reasons to want 8.10. 8.04 is a long term version, and will be
    >supported for 3 years. 8.10 is a short term version, and will not
    >be supported after about 1 year.

    Rule number 1 should be : do not even think about upgrading to 8.10 if
    you are using nVidia graphics.

  13. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    Bob Martin wrote:
    > in 74237 20081109 015749 CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> I suggest you stick with 8.04, unless you have important specific
    >> reasons to want 8.10. 8.04 is a long term version, and will be
    >> supported for 3 years. 8.10 is a short term version, and will not
    >> be supported after about 1 year.

    > Rule number 1 should be : do not even think about upgrading to 8.10 if
    > you are using nVidia graphics.

    Why?
    Using 8.10 64bit with a Geforce 8600 with no problems.
    caver1

  14. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >
    > ... snip ...
    >
    >> By default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will not offer a upgrade to 8.10. This
    >>

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    >> is because the 8.04 LTS version is a long term support release
    >> and 8.10 is a regular release. Upgrades from 8.04 LTS to 8.10 are
    >>

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    >> fully supported, of course, and easy to enable.
    >>

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > I suggest you read that again.

    Could this be a failure in reading the word "default"?

    --
    John

  15. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    "caver1" schreef in bericht
    > Bob Martin wrote:
    >> in 74237 20081109 015749 CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >> Rule number 1 should be : do not even think about upgrading to 8.10 if
    >> you are using nVidia graphics.

    > Why?
    > Using 8.10 64bit with a Geforce 8600 with no problems.
    > caver1

    I upgraded to 8.10 with a GeForce 8600GS. Result: "Ubuntu is running in low
    graphics mode".
    In Hardware drivers, the recommended version 177 is activated!
    Anybody?

  16. Was Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade now nVidia graphics

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:04:54 +0100, William mumbled:

    > "caver1" schreef in bericht
    >> Bob Martin wrote:
    >>> in 74237 20081109 015749 CBFalconer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Rule number 1 should be : do not even think about upgrading to 8.10 if
    >>> you are using nVidia graphics.

    >> Why?
    >> Using 8.10 64bit with a Geforce 8600 with no problems. caver1

    > I upgraded to 8.10 with a GeForce 8600GS. Result: "Ubuntu is running in
    > low graphics mode".
    > In Hardware drivers, the recommended version 177 is activated! Anybody?

    I am using a GeForce 7600 card and was given a choice between driver
    version 173 and 177 (recommended). I am using version 177 with no
    problems. If you have the option of using version 173, try it. It might
    work for you.

    Otherwise there are so many variables, it's difficult to say why yours is
    not working. Different motherboard with a different chip set, different
    bios, the actual manufacturer of your graphics card. Who knows? It might
    be a bug from doing an upgrade instead of a clean install of 8.10.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  17. Re: Was Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade now nVidia graphics

    "Vance Howard" schreef in bericht
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:04:54 +0100, William mumbled:

    >>> Why?
    >>> Using 8.10 64bit with a Geforce 8600 with no problems. caver1

    >> I upgraded to 8.10 with a GeForce 8600GS. Result: "Ubuntu is running in
    >> low graphics mode".
    >> In Hardware drivers, the recommended version 177 is activated! Anybody?

    > I am using a GeForce 7600 card and was given a choice between driver
    > version 173 and 177 (recommended). I am using version 177 with no
    > problems. If you have the option of using version 173, try it. It might
    > work for you.

    I installed NVIDIA driver version 173... same thing :-(

  18. Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    in 74259 20081109 125939 caver1 wrote:
    >Bob Martin wrote:
    >> in 74237 20081109 015749 CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I suggest you stick with 8.04, unless you have important specific
    >>> reasons to want 8.10. 8.04 is a long term version, and will be
    >>> supported for 3 years. 8.10 is a short term version, and will not
    >>> be supported after about 1 year.

    >> Rule number 1 should be : do not even think about upgrading to 8.10 if
    >> you are using nVidia graphics.

    >Why?
    >Using 8.10 64bit with a Geforce 8600 with no problems.
    >caver1

    You are one of the lucky ones, then !

  19. Re: Was Re: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade now nVidia graphics

    in 74275 20081109 171952 "William" wrote:
    >"Vance Howard" schreef in bericht
    >> On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:04:54 +0100, William mumbled:

    >>> I upgraded to 8.10 with a GeForce 8600GS. Result: "Ubuntu is running in
    >>> low graphics mode".
    >>> In Hardware drivers, the recommended version 177 is activated! Anybody?

    >> I am using a GeForce 7600 card and was given a choice between driver
    >> version 173 and 177 (recommended). I am using version 177 with no
    >> problems. If you have the option of using version 173, try it. It might
    >> work for you.

    >I installed NVIDIA driver version 173... same thing :-(

    Me too. I tried all 3 drivers after the upgrade, without success, then did a clean
    install and tried all 3 again. nbg. Other problems too, no sound, usb problems etc
    8.10 just doesn't like my AMD 64x2 (another desktop and an IBM T41 upgraded ok).

    Clean install of 8.04 and everything is fine again. (7300GT card)

+ Reply to Thread