ubuntu wubi dual boot - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on ubuntu wubi dual boot - Ubuntu ; hey, I have installed Ubuntu using Wubi. When I start the computer windows is nr1 in dual boot, I want Ubuntu to start as nr1 . How do I do that ? tia...

  1. ubuntu wubi dual boot

    hey,

    I have installed Ubuntu using Wubi. When I start the computer windows is
    nr1 in dual boot, I want Ubuntu to start as nr1 .

    How do I do that ?

    tia

  2. Re: ubuntu wubi dual boot

    -=MrX=- wrote:
    > hey,
    >
    > I have installed Ubuntu using Wubi. When I start the computer windows is
    > nr1 in dual boot, I want Ubuntu to start as nr1 .
    >
    > How do I do that ?

    You have to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Open up the file with
    your text editor and read the comments inside the file for examples.

    To edit the file you will have to run your text editor in sudo mode from
    a commandline session:

    sudo /boot/grub/menu.lst

    PS....make a backup of the original file first before editing.

  3. Re: ubuntu wubi dual boot

    propman wrote:
    > -=MrX=- wrote:
    >> hey,
    >>
    >> I have installed Ubuntu using Wubi. When I start the computer windows
    >> is nr1 in dual boot, I want Ubuntu to start as nr1 .
    >>
    >> How do I do that ?

    > You have to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Open up the file with
    > your text editor and read the comments inside the file for examples.
    >
    > To edit the file you will have to run your text editor in sudo mode from
    > a commandline session:
    >
    > sudo /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >

    > PS....make a backup of the original file first before editing.

    My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.....totally forgot
    about Windows having it's own boot loader with the Wubi install.

    .......and thanks to michael b. trausch for the reminder! :-)

  4. Re: ubuntu wubi dual boot

    On 2008-11-07, propman wrote:
    > -=MrX=- wrote:
    >> hey,
    >>
    >> I have installed Ubuntu using Wubi. When I start the computer windows is
    >> nr1 in dual boot, I want Ubuntu to start as nr1 .
    >>
    >> How do I do that ?

    > You have to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Open up the file with
    > your text editor and read the comments inside the file for examples.
    >
    > To edit the file you will have to run your text editor in sudo mode from
    > a commandline session:
    >
    > sudo /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >

    > PS....make a backup of the original file first before editing.

    Not sure how that would help when running Wubi, as the NT Bootloader
    is booting the system, not GRUB.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread