How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy? - Ubuntu ; Honorable and knowlegable Ubuntu gurus: After much soul-searching I have decided to remove 8.10 and reinstall 8.04. I am *not* an Ubuntu expert. I am looking for advice on the most painless route to take. I have /home and /boot ...

  1. How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Honorable and knowlegable Ubuntu gurus:

    After much soul-searching I have decided to remove 8.10 and reinstall
    8.04. I am *not* an Ubuntu expert.

    I am looking for advice on the most painless route to take.

    I have /home and /boot on separate partitions (I imagine I shall have to
    overwrite /boot and try to save /home)

    I also have a sbackup made before the upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid
    which includes /var/, /home/, /usr/local/ and /etc/, and a text list of
    all packages installed at the time of the backup.

    If I just erase the OS and re-install Hardy from scratch, will I then be
    able to mount my /home partition and use it without too many
    complications? (e.g. will the pointers to my Thunderbird mail folders work?)

    I realize I will have a bit of reconfiguration to do: ntp, language
    localization, fonts etc. But at the moment Intrepid does not agree with
    my PC; Sound problems, hangs, missing options...

    Thank you one and all for your time and advice.

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  2. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Mike, I have Intrepid on three machines by now and am very happy. Is
    there perhaps something that could help you keep intrepid?

    On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Honorable and knowlegable Ubuntu gurus:
    >
    > After much soul-searching I have decided to remove 8.10 and reinstall
    > 8.04. I am *not* an Ubuntu expert.
    >
    > I am looking for advice on the most painless route to take.
    >
    > I have /home and /boot on separate partitions (I imagine I shall have to
    > overwrite /boot and try to save /home)
    >
    > I also have a sbackup made before the upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid
    > which includes /var/, /home/, /usr/local/ and /etc/, and a text list of
    > all packages installed at the time of the backup.
    >
    > If I just erase the OS and re-install Hardy from scratch, will I then be
    > able to mount my /home partition and use it without too many
    > complications? (e.g. will the pointers to my Thunderbird mail folders work?)
    >
    > I realize I will have a bit of reconfiguration to do: ntp, language
    > localization, fonts etc. But at the moment Intrepid does not agree with
    > my PC; Sound problems, hangs, missing options...
    >
    > Thank you one and all for your time and advice.
    >

    > --

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Ignoramus3975 wrote:
    > Mike, I have Intrepid on three machines by now and am very happy. Is
    > there perhaps something that could help you keep intrepid?

    > On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Honorable and knowlegable Ubuntu gurus:
    >>
    >> After much soul-searching I have decided to remove 8.10 and reinstall
    >> 8.04. I am *not* an Ubuntu expert.
    >>
    >> I am looking for advice on the most painless route to take.
    >>
    >> I have /home and /boot on separate partitions (I imagine I shall have to
    >> overwrite /boot and try to save /home)
    >>
    >> I also have a sbackup made before the upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid
    >> which includes /var/, /home/, /usr/local/ and /etc/, and a text list of
    >> all packages installed at the time of the backup.
    >>
    >> If I just erase the OS and re-install Hardy from scratch, will I then be
    >> able to mount my /home partition and use it without too many
    >> complications? (e.g. will the pointers to my Thunderbird mail folders work?)
    >>
    >> I realize I will have a bit of reconfiguration to do: ntp, language
    >> localization, fonts etc. But at the moment Intrepid does not agree with
    >> my PC; Sound problems, hangs, missing options...
    >>
    >> Thank you one and all for your time and advice.
    >>

    >> --

    1. Either (both) of gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver at some stage of
    timeout hangs the PC and completely disabels the mouse and keybord.
    Tried USB and PS2 with no success. I've had to uninstall and purge bothe
    screensavers.

    2. There seems to be a problem with Flash. (Yes, I've intalled Flash 10
    and the Adobe site seems to think I'm at the current version) No sound
    until today, and then today I downloaded and installed a .deb file from
    the Adobe site - and now there's no visual either. I guess if I
    reinstall from the repository I'll have the image again, but no sound.

    3. The option System -> Preferences -> Options -> Remember running apps.
    does not save (or my next login does not restore) what I want it to.

    There are workarounds for most of these problems, but overall it seem
    this version of OS has not been QAed properly.

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  4. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > 1. Either (both) of gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver at some stage of
    > timeout hangs the PC and completely disabels the mouse and keybord.
    > Tried USB and PS2 with no success. I've had to uninstall and purge bothe
    > screensavers.
    >
    > 2. There seems to be a problem with Flash. (Yes, I've intalled Flash 10
    > and the Adobe site seems to think I'm at the current version) No sound
    > until today, and then today I downloaded and installed a .deb file from
    > the Adobe site - and now there's no visual either. I guess if I
    > reinstall from the repository I'll have the image again, but no sound.
    >
    > 3. The option System -> Preferences -> Options -> Remember running apps.
    > does not save (or my next login does not restore) what I want it to.
    >
    > There are workarounds for most of these problems, but overall it seem
    > this version of OS has not been QAed properly.

    Mike, I think that I recognize and had similar problems when it was in
    beta, but they seem to be resolved, at least for me. The sound was
    locking up when flash was activated. And some screensaver hanging.

    I have not had them for a while, however.

    Are you at the very latest version of everything?

    Are you using standard Flash that comes with Intrepid
    (libflashplugin-nonfree)?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:

    Hi Mike, I recently moved from Hardy to Intrepid.

    > 1. Either (both) of gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver at some stage of
    > timeout hangs the PC and completely disabels the mouse and keybord.
    > Tried USB and PS2 with no success. I've had to uninstall and purge bothe
    > screensavers.

    I don't have this problem at all. Both seem to be installed but it
    works fine.

    > 2. There seems to be a problem with Flash. (Yes, I've intalled Flash 10
    > and the Adobe site seems to think I'm at the current version) No sound
    > until today, and then today I downloaded and installed a .deb file from
    > the Adobe site - and now there's no visual either. I guess if I
    > reinstall from the repository I'll have the image again, but no sound.

    I had this problem, I installed flashplugin-nonfree and
    flashplugin-nonfree-extrasounds (or something similar) and it all works
    fine again.

    > 3. The option System -> Preferences -> Options -> Remember running apps.
    > does not save (or my next login does not restore) what I want it to.

    Works fine here! Upgrading to Intrepid forgot one running program, so I
    had to add it back in, but then all was fine.

    > There are workarounds for most of these problems, but overall it seem
    > this version of OS has not been QAed properly.

    Are the permissions in your Home folder all correct?

  6. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Ignoramus3975 wrote:
    > On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> 1. Either (both) of gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver at some stage of
    >> timeout hangs the PC and completely disabels the mouse and keybord.
    >> Tried USB and PS2 with no success. I've had to uninstall and purge bothe
    >> screensavers.
    >>
    >> 2. There seems to be a problem with Flash. (Yes, I've intalled Flash 10
    >> and the Adobe site seems to think I'm at the current version) No sound
    >> until today, and then today I downloaded and installed a .deb file from
    >> the Adobe site - and now there's no visual either. I guess if I
    >> reinstall from the repository I'll have the image again, but no sound.
    >>
    >> 3. The option System -> Preferences -> Options -> Remember running apps.
    >> does not save (or my next login does not restore) what I want it to.
    >>
    >> There are workarounds for most of these problems, but overall it seem
    >> this version of OS has not been QAed properly.

    > Mike, I think that I recognize and had similar problems when it was in
    > beta, but they seem to be resolved, at least for me. The sound was
    > locking up when flash was activated. And some screensaver hanging.
    >
    > I have not had them for a while, however.
    >
    > Are you at the very latest version of everything?
    >
    > Are you using standard Flash that comes with Intrepid
    > (libflashplugin-nonfree)?

    I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    checked again -- no sound!

    All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have these
    problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update Manager.

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  7. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >
    > Hi Mike, I recently moved from Hardy to Intrepid.

    <...bobbit...>

    > Are the permissions in your Home folder all correct?

    It's the same folder I used in Hardy. I have not knowingly changed
    *anything*

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  8. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Mike, I recently moved from Hardy to Intrepid.
    >>

    > <...bobbit...>
    >>
    >> Are the permissions in your Home folder all correct?

    > It's the same folder I used in Hardy. I have not knowingly changed
    > *anything*

    Neither did I when my /tmp folder lost its sticky bit, but it happened
    anyway.

    Reverting would not fix a permissions problem.

  9. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Are you using standard Flash that comes with Intrepid
    >> (libflashplugin-nonfree)?
    >>

    > I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    > the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    > checked again -- no sound!

    So, are you talking about package libflashplugin-nonfree, or aabout
    something you downloaded on your own?

    Is there no sound from flash only, or from any sound enabled program?

    > All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    > recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have
    > these problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update
    > Manager.

    I think that let's start with one problem at a time, which is sound.

    1. Do you have sound from any sound program?

    You can do this in terminal

    wget http://igor.chudov.com/images/test.ogg
    test -x /usr/bin/mplayer || sudo aptitude install mplayer
    mplayer test.ogg

    see if this last command gives you sound.

    2. Try to isolate the sound issue by going from here. If you head
    sound from mplayer, it is a flash issue, if not, it is a sound issue.

  10. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Ignoramus3975 wrote:
    >> On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >>> 1. Either (both) of gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver at some stage
    >>> of timeout hangs the PC and completely disabels the mouse and
    >>> keybord. Tried USB and PS2 with no success. I've had to uninstall and
    >>> purge bothe screensavers.
    >>>
    >>> 2. There seems to be a problem with Flash. (Yes, I've intalled Flash
    >>> 10 and the Adobe site seems to think I'm at the current version) No
    >>> sound until today, and then today I downloaded and installed a .deb
    >>> file from the Adobe site - and now there's no visual either. I guess
    >>> if I reinstall from the repository I'll have the image again, but no
    >>> sound.
    >>>
    >>> 3. The option System -> Preferences -> Options -> Remember running
    >>> apps. does not save (or my next login does not restore) what I want
    >>> it to.
    >>>
    >>> There are workarounds for most of these problems, but overall it seem
    >>> this version of OS has not been QAed properly.

    >> Mike, I think that I recognize and had similar problems when it was in
    >> beta, but they seem to be resolved, at least for me. The sound was
    >> locking up when flash was activated. And some screensaver hanging.
    >> I have not had them for a while, however.
    >> Are you at the very latest version of everything?
    >>
    >> Are you using standard Flash that comes with Intrepid
    >> (libflashplugin-nonfree)?
    >>

    > I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    > the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    > checked again -- no sound!
    >
    > All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    > recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have these
    > problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update Manager.
    >

    > --
    > Mike R.
    > http://alpha.mike-r.com/
    >
    > --

    2 options.

    Option 1.

    Have a look in your home folder .pulseaudio rename to say .pulseaudio_old

    Log out/in test.

    This worked for me with firefox sound but did not fix it with movieplayer.

    Option 2.

    Boot in to your old HH Kernel.

    When I upgraded, the upgrade cleared out all the old kernel barring the
    one in use a at the time of the upgrade.

    This has fixed all my sound issues, however it's broke 3d acceleration.
    This maybe just look into apt and re-installing the correct nvidia bits
    n bobs.

    Ram

  11. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Ignoramus3975 wrote:
    > On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >>> Are you using standard Flash that comes with Intrepid
    >>> (libflashplugin-nonfree)?
    >>>

    >> I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    >> the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    >> checked again -- no sound!

    > So, are you talking about package libflashplugin-nonfree, or aabout
    > something you downloaded on your own?
    >
    > Is there no sound from flash only, or from any sound enabled program?
    >
    >> All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    >> recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have
    >> these problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update
    >> Manager.

    > I think that let's start with one problem at a time, which is sound.
    >
    > 1. Do you have sound from any sound program?
    >
    > You can do this in terminal
    >
    > wget http://igor.chudov.com/images/test.ogg
    > test -x /usr/bin/mplayer || sudo aptitude install mplayer
    > mplayer test.ogg
    >
    > see if this last command gives you sound.
    >
    > 2. Try to isolate the sound issue by going from here. If you head
    > sound from mplayer, it is a flash issue, if not, it is a sound issue.

    I have sound and record/playback from Skype, so I doubt it's a HW
    problem. Also have sound on Totem and:
    When I connect to youtube from totem -- I have sound
    When I connect ti youtube usin Firefox -- zilch.
    downloaded test.ogg -- I can hear it.

    So it's a Flash issue. I can live without Flash BUT
    a. why should I
    b. One bug possibly means quality control is not good, and there are
    probably more bugs waiting

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  12. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Mike, I recently moved from Hardy to Intrepid.
    >>>

    >> <...bobbit...>
    >>>
    >>> Are the permissions in your Home folder all correct?

    >> It's the same folder I used in Hardy. I have not knowingly changed
    >> *anything*

    > Neither did I when my /tmp folder lost its sticky bit, but it happened
    > anyway.
    >
    > Reverting would not fix a permissions problem.

    eyeballing my home directory the only unusual permission is set on ,gvfs
    everything else seems accesible, and all are owned by me.

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  13. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Ram wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Ignoramus3975 wrote:

    >>> Mike, I think that I recognize and had similar problems when it was in
    >>> beta, but they seem to be resolved, at least for me. The sound was
    >>> locking up when flash was activated. And some screensaver hanging.
    >>> I have not had them for a while, however.
    >>> Are you at the very latest version of everything?
    >>>
    >>> Are you using standard Flash that comes with Intrepid
    >>> (libflashplugin-nonfree)?
    >>>

    >> I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    >> the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    >> checked again -- no sound!
    >>
    >> All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    >> recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have these
    >> problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update Manager.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike R.
    >> http://alpha.mike-r.com/
    >>
    >> --

    > 2 options.
    >
    > Option 1.
    >
    > Have a look in your home folder .pulseaudio rename to say .pulseaudio_old

    No such file in my home directory.
    The closest are .pulse and .pulse-cookie

    > Log out/in test.
    >
    > This worked for me with firefox sound but did not fix it with movieplayer.
    >
    > Option 2.
    >
    > Boot in to your old HH Kernel.
    >
    > When I upgraded, the upgrade cleared out all the old kernel barring the
    > one in use a at the time of the upgrade.

    If I reboot to Hardy I might as well reinstall Hardy and have done with
    it -- That was my original question... What is the easiest way to revert
    to Hardy?

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  14. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Ignoramus3975 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    >>> the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    >>> checked again -- no sound!

    >> So, are you talking about package libflashplugin-nonfree, or aabout
    >> something you downloaded on your own?
    >>
    >> Is there no sound from flash only, or from any sound enabled program?
    >>
    >>> All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    >>> recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have
    >>> these problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update
    >>> Manager.

    >> I think that let's start with one problem at a time, which is sound.
    >>
    >> 1. Do you have sound from any sound program?
    >>
    >> You can do this in terminal
    >>
    >> wget http://igor.chudov.com/images/test.ogg
    >> test -x /usr/bin/mplayer || sudo aptitude install mplayer
    >> mplayer test.ogg
    >>
    >> see if this last command gives you sound.
    >>
    >> 2. Try to isolate the sound issue by going from here. If you head
    >> sound from mplayer, it is a flash issue, if not, it is a sound issue.

    > I have sound and record/playback from Skype, so I doubt it's a HW
    > problem. Also have sound on Totem and:
    > When I connect to youtube from totem -- I have sound
    > When I connect ti youtube usin Firefox -- zilch.
    > downloaded test.ogg -- I can hear it.
    >
    > So it's a Flash issue. I can live without Flash BUT
    > a. why should I
    > b. One bug possibly means quality control is not good, and there are
    > probably more bugs waiting
    >

    > --

    Good. So, what flash plugin are you running, one from the distr o or
    the one that you downloaded and installed by yourself?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  15. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Ignoramus3975 wrote:
    > On 2008-11-07, Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Ignoramus3975 wrote:

    >>> So, are you talking about package libflashplugin-nonfree, or aabout
    >>> something you downloaded on your own?
    >>>
    >>> Is there no sound from flash only, or from any sound enabled program?

    >>> I think that let's start with one problem at a time, which is sound.
    >>>
    >>> 1. Do you have sound from any sound program?
    >>>
    >>> You can do this in terminal
    >>>
    >>> wget http://igor.chudov.com/images/test.ogg
    >>> test -x /usr/bin/mplayer || sudo aptitude install mplayer
    >>> mplayer test.ogg
    >>>
    >>> see if this last command gives you sound.
    >>>
    >>> 2. Try to isolate the sound issue by going from here. If you head
    >>> sound from mplayer, it is a flash issue, if not, it is a sound issue.

    >> I have sound and record/playback from Skype, so I doubt it's a HW
    >> problem. Also have sound on Totem and:
    >> When I connect to youtube from totem -- I have sound
    >> When I connect ti youtube usin Firefox -- zilch.
    >> downloaded test.ogg -- I can hear it.
    >>
    >> So it's a Flash issue. I can live without Flash BUT
    >> a. why should I
    >> b. One bug possibly means quality control is not good, and there are
    >> probably more bugs waiting
    >>

    >> --

    > Good. So, what flash plugin are you running, one from the distr o or
    > the one that you downloaded and installed by yourself?

    Back at the one from the distro.

    mike@Ubuntu:~$ apt-cache dump | grep flashplugin
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree (null)
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree (null)
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree (null)
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree-pulse (null)
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound (null)
    Package: adobe-flashplugin
    Package: flashplugin-nonfree-pulse
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree (null)
    Package: flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree (null)
    Depends: flashplugin-nonfree-pulse (null)
    Package: flashplugin-nonfree
    Depends: flashplugin 6
    Depends: flashplugin 6
    Package: flashplugin
    mike@Ubuntu:~$

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  16. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > Ram wrote:
    >> Mike Rechtman wrote:

    >>> I have installed uninstalled reinstalled ... etc. etc. the flash from
    >>> the repository. I was/am at version (IIRC) 10.0.12.36 -- and I just
    >>> checked again -- no sound!
    >>>
    >>> All three problems showed up after I did a network upgrade -- as
    >>> recommended on the Ubuntu site -- from Hardy (which did not have
    >>> these problems) to Intrepid. I am fully updated according to Update
    >>> Manager.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Mike R.
    >>> http://alpha.mike-r.com/
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> 2 options.
    >>
    >> Option 1.
    >>
    >> Have a look in your home folder .pulseaudio rename to say
    >> .pulseaudio_old

    > No such file in my home directory.
    > The closest are .pulse and .pulse-cookie

    Sorry it was just .pulse

    >> Log out/in test.
    >>
    >> This worked for me with firefox sound but did not fix it with
    >> movieplayer.
    >>
    >> Option 2.
    >>
    >> Boot in to your old HH Kernel.
    >>
    >> When I upgraded, the upgrade cleared out all the old kernel barring
    >> the one in use a at the time of the upgrade.
    >>

    > If I reboot to Hardy I might as well reinstall Hardy and have done with
    > it

    It wont be Hardy but Ibex using an older kernel.

    -- That was my original question... What is the easiest way to revert
    > to Hardy?

    Make a back up of your data
    Use your HH Disk,
    Manually set the partitions.
    Do *NOT* format /home

    Ram

  17. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 19:58:51 +0200, Mike Rechtman wrote:

    -8<-

    > If I just erase the OS and re-install Hardy from scratch, will I then be
    > able to mount my /home partition and use it without too many
    > complications? (e.g. will the pointers to my Thunderbird mail folders
    > work?)

    Yes, that works. I updated my desktop from 8.04.1 to 8.10, and then
    discovered on 64 bits the java in 32bit browsers (thanks to sun) did not
    work. After giving it a go in trying to solve it I have put back my
    clonezilla image from /.

    My /home is on a separate partition, so after 10 minutes I was back to
    the point before the upgrade.

    As long as you do not loose your /home with reinstalling you should be up
    in no time.

    HTH.

    cheers,

    Wiz

  18. Re: How do I revert from Intrepid to Hardy?

    Ram wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> Ram wrote:

    >>> 2 options.
    >>>
    >>> Option 1.
    >>>
    >>> Have a look in your home folder .pulseaudio rename to say
    >>> .pulseaudio_old

    >> No such file in my home directory.
    >> The closest are .pulse and .pulse-cookie
    >>

    > Sorry it was just .pulse

    ..pulse was (is) a directory.
    renamed to ,pulse-old
    logged-out and logged-in
    a new, empty (0 bytes) .pulse directory appeared
    went to youtube and clicked on several items (I assume they're Flash)
    see video, but no sound,

    I'm really giving erasing II and reinstalling HH serious consideration,
    just now the week-end is over so I'll wait till I have a few spare hours.

    >>> Log out/in test.
    >>>
    >>> This worked for me with firefox sound but did not fix it with
    >>> movieplayer.

    MoviePlayer works, sound and all. No sound displaying Flash in Firefox.
    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/