Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb - Ubuntu ; Please can I use your expertise to guide me step by step through getting a usb Hauppage WinTV nova-t working in Ubuntu 8.04. I am completely out of my depth with Ubuntu, and I got lost in the help system ...

  1. Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb

    Please can I use your expertise to guide me step by step through getting a
    usb Hauppage WinTV nova-t working in Ubuntu 8.04.
    I am completely out of my depth with Ubuntu, and I got lost in the help
    system that Totem Movie Player offered me when I selected "watch tv on dvb
    adapter 0". It told me I am missing a channels listing, I did manage to
    find a list from something called w_scan, which I saved as a text file on my
    desktop. Now I don't know what to call it and where to put it, or even what
    lines the file should begin and end with.
    Is Totem the best for UK tv, or should I try other players.

    Mike H

  2. Re: Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:13:51 +0000, Mike H wrote:

    > Please can I use your expertise to guide me step by step through getting
    > a usb Hauppage WinTV nova-t working in Ubuntu 8.04. I am completely out
    > of my depth with Ubuntu, and I got lost in the help system that Totem
    > Movie Player offered me when I selected "watch tv on dvb adapter 0". It
    > told me I am missing a channels listing, I did manage to find a list
    > from something called w_scan, which I saved as a text file on my
    > desktop. Now I don't know what to call it and where to put it, or even
    > what lines the file should begin and end with. Is Totem the best for UK
    > tv, or should I try other players.
    >
    > Mike H

    The simplest player I've found is Me-TV, which is a bog standard player,
    with recording ability. Kaffeine seems a fairly simple general purpose
    media player, which I've had few problems with (even running under
    Gnome). I've had (and am still having!) a few problems with a USB DVB
    (Avermedia a800) and the different programs throw up different errors
    with different channels, which can make diagnosis a bit easier sometimes,
    or (as in my case) can make all channels available, as no program will
    cause the box to tune all stations, but the selection between the
    programs lets me watch just about whatever I want!

    MythTV is the all-singing multimedia system, but you've got to be pretty
    serious if you're going to get that going, especially if you want to use
    the full set of options available.

    Keith

  3. Re: Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb

    keith wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:13:51 +0000, Mike H wrote:
    >

    >> Please can I use your expertise to guide me step by step through getting
    >> a usb Hauppage WinTV nova-t working in Ubuntu 8.04. I am completely out
    >> of my depth with Ubuntu, and I got lost in the help system that Totem
    >> Movie Player offered me when I selected "watch tv on dvb adapter 0". It
    >> told me I am missing a channels listing, I did manage to find a list
    >> from something called w_scan, which I saved as a text file on my
    >> desktop. Now I don't know what to call it and where to put it, or even
    >> what lines the file should begin and end with. Is Totem the best for UK
    >> tv, or should I try other players.
    >>
    >> Mike H
    >>

    > The simplest player I've found is Me-TV, which is a bog standard player,
    > with recording ability. Kaffeine seems a fairly simple general purpose
    > media player, which I've had few problems with (even running under
    > Gnome). I've had (and am still having!) a few problems with a USB DVB
    > (Avermedia a800) and the different programs throw up different errors
    > with different channels, which can make diagnosis a bit easier sometimes,
    > or (as in my case) can make all channels available, as no program will
    > cause the box to tune all stations, but the selection between the
    > programs lets me watch just about whatever I want!
    >
    > MythTV is the all-singing multimedia system, but you've got to be pretty
    > serious if you're going to get that going, especially if you want to use
    > the full set of options available.
    >
    > Keith

    The word "WinTV" kinda reminds me of "WinModem." It's not all there, and
    needs Windows to drive it. Hopefully your TV card isn't like this.

    A channel list used to be provided free by zap2it.com
    http://tvlistings.zap2it.com but I'm not sure they still provide this as
    a free service for PVRs. It was used by MythTV, which is a full-blown OS
    designed to mimic a TiVo or other PVR.

    I have pasted a BASH script into the very end of this message that you
    can use as a pattern for obtaining TV program info from zap2it but you
    must modify it for your location. Use it as a "template" if you will.

    I have used xawtv for minimal TV, usually for discovering, adjusting and
    configuring video capture cards. The xawtv program is available in the
    Ubuntu repositories (at least in 6.06 LTS through 8.04 LTS).

    Some links that may have useful info:

    http://www.linuxtv.org

    http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page

    Also, below is what I get searching for "tv" in the Ubuntu 8.04
    repository. There ought to be some ideas in these many finds.

    Overlook all of the oddball words that might have "tv" in them, but are
    not associated with television. I removed many that I could see had no
    relevance to television, but I don't know all of these libraries, etc.
    Plus, "tv" can appear in the longer descriptions which are not shown
    below, such as anything associated with video.

    Good luck!

    john@ubuntu8.04:~$ apt-cache search tv

    i855-crt - i855 TV Out switching
    kmplayer - media player for KDE
    kmplayer-konq-plugins - KMPlayer plugin for KHTML/Konqueror
    libgmyth-dev - GObject based library for accessing MythTV backend
    (development files)
    libgmyth0 - GObject based library for accessing MythTV backend (runtime
    files)
    libgs-dev - The Ghostscript PostScript Library - Development Files
    libgs8 - The Ghostscript PostScript/PDF interpreter Library
    libgtksourceview-common - common files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting
    widget
    libgtksourceview-dev - development files for the GTK+ syntax
    highlighting widget
    libgtksourceview-doc - documentation for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
    libgtksourceview1.0-0 - shared libraries for the GTK+ syntax
    highlighting widget
    libgtkspell0 - a spell-checking addon for GTK's TextView widget
    libxml-regexp-perl - Perl module for regular expressions for XML tokens
    python-gtksourceview2 - Python bindings for the GtkSourceView widget
    totem-gstreamer - A simple media player for the Gnome desktop based on
    gstreamer
    x11-apps - X applications
    aatv - A program to watch TV in a text-based console
    abcm2ps - Translates ABC music description files to PostScript
    alevt - X11 Teletext/Videotext browser
    atitvout - ATI TV Out Support Program
    avifile-utils - utility programs using the avifile library
    came - Rewrite of the xawtv webcam app using imlib2
    directvnc - VNC client using the framebuffer as display
    dvbstream - Broadcast a DVB Transport stream over a LAN
    dvr - Digital Video Recorder
    effectv - real-time video effect processor
    enca - Extremely Naive Charset Analyser - binaries
    fbtv - television viewer - Linux framebuffer application
    gatos - ATI All-in-Wonder TV capture software
    gdesklets-data - Applets for gdesklets
    gmyth-utils - The GMyth utilities package
    gnome-rdp - Remote Desktop Client for the GNOME Desktop
    gv - PostScript and PDF viewer for X
    hasciicam - (h)ascii for the masses: live video as text
    kdetv - TV viewer for KDE
    klear - DVB TV viewer and harddisk recorder for KDE
    kvdr - DVB (digital TV) Video Disk Recorder for KDE
    lcdproc - LCD display driver daemon and clients
    libaudio-musepack-perl - An object-oriented interface to Musepack file
    information
    libgatos-dev - The General ATI TV and Overlay Software(GATOS): Dev Lib
    and Headers
    libgatos0 - The General ATI TV and Overlay Software(GATOS): Runtime
    Libraries
    libvideo-capture-v4l-perl - Perl interface to the Video4linux
    framegrabber interface
    libvideo-ivtv-perl - Perl extension for using V4l2 in the ivtv perl scripts
    libxmltv-perl - Perl libraries related to the XMLTV file format for TV
    listings
    libxosd-dev - X On-Screen Display library - development
    libxosd2 - X On-Screen Display library - runtime
    libzvbi-common - Vertical Blanking Interval decoder (VBI) - common files
    libzvbi-dev - Vertical Blanking Interval decoder (VBI) - development files
    libzvbi-doc - Vertical Blanking Interval decoder (VBI) - documentation files
    libzvbi0 - Vertical Blanking Interval decoder (VBI) - runtime files
    lineak-xosdplugin - LinEAK On-Screen Display plugin
    matroxset - Switch output modes, including TV out, of Matrox video cards
    maxemumtvguide - TV-guide
    me-tv - Me TV, it's TV for me computer
    mythbuntu-lirc-generator - Mythbuntu Lirc Configuration Generator
    mythexport - Export MythTV recording to portable media players
    mythstream - MythTV plugin for playing Internet audio and video streams
    mythtv-status - Show the status of a MythTV backend
    mythtv-theme-mythbuntu - default MythTV theme used in Mythbuntu
    mythtvfs - userspace filesystem client for MythTV
    nvtv - tool to control TV chips on NVidia cards under Linux
    omfs-source - Optimized MPEG Filesystem (OMFS) Linux kernel driver [source]
    ontv - GNOME Applet for monitoring current and upcoming TV programs
    ov511-source - Driver source for the OV511, a USB-only chip used in many
    webcams
    pencam - Download images from STV0680B-001 chip based digital cameras
    penguintv - podcasts and video blogs for Linux
    pia - movie player for xawtw
    plotmtv - Multipurpose X11 plotting program
    python-osd - Python bindings for X On-Screen Display library
    qsstv - Qt-based slow-scan TV and fax
    s3switch - Manage the output device on S3 Savage chips
    scantv - television channel-scanner
    smpeg-gtv - SMPEG GTK+ MPEG audio/video player
    splitvt - run two programs in a split screen
    totem-plugins-extra - Extra plugins for the Totem media player
    totem-xine - A simple media player for the Gnome desktop based on xine
    ttv - television viewer - console application
    tv-fonts - X11 fonts for TV applications
    tvtime - A high quality television application
    v4l-conf - tool to configure video4linux drivers
    vdr - Video Disk Recorder for DVB cards
    vdr-dev - Video Disk Recorder for DVB cards
    vdr-plugin-examples - Plugins for vdr to show some possible features
    vdr-plugin-pictures - Plugin for vdr providing a very basic picture viewer
    vdr-plugin-sky - Plugin for using a Sky Digibox with vdr
    vdr-plugin-streamdev-client - VDR Plugin to stream Live-TV to other
    VDR's - client part
    vdr-plugin-streamdev-server - VDR Plugin to stream Live-TV to other
    VDR's - server part
    webcam - image grabber and uploader
    wmtv - Dockable video4linux TV player for WindowMaker
    xawtv - television viewer - X11 application
    xawtv-plugin-qt - television viewer - QuickTime plugin
    xawtv-plugins - television viewer - plugins
    xawtv-tools - television viewer - tools
    xmltv - Functionality related to the XMLTV file format for TV listings
    xmltv-gui - Graphical user interface related to the XMLTV file format
    xmltv-util - Utilities related to the XMLTV file format for TV listings
    xmms-osd-plugin - XMMS plugin using xosd
    xtv - View the screen of a remote X11 display
    zapping - television viewer for the GNOME environment
    zvbi - Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) utilities
    em8300 - Drivers for DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards
    em8300-bin - Tools to setup DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards
    em8300-source - Kernel module for DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards (source)
    freeguide - Displays TV listings
    ivtv-source - source for ivtv drivers (1.0.x branch)
    ivtv-utils - utilities for use with the ivtv kernel driver
    libdscaler - Video deinterlacer plugins from the DScaler project
    libmjpegtools-dev - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
    libmjpegtools0c2a - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
    librte-dev - Real Time Encoder Audio/Video library - Development files
    librte1 - Real Time Encoder Audio/Video library - Runtime files
    mjpegtools - MJPEG video capture/editting/playback MPEG encoding
    motv - Motif TV application
    mythtv-theme-blootube - The Blootube MythTV theme
    mythtv-theme-blootube-osd - The Blootube MythTV OSD
    mythtv-theme-blootube-wide - The Blootube MythTV theme (widescreen)
    mythtv-theme-blootubelite-wide - The Blootube Lite MythTV theme (widescreen)
    mythtv-theme-glass-wide - The Glass MythTV theme (widescreen)
    mythtv-theme-gray-osd - The Gray-OSD MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-isthmus - The Isthmus MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-iulius - The Iulius MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-iulius-osd - The Iulius-OSD MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-minimalist-wide - The Minimalist Wide MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-mythcenter - The MythCenter MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-mythcenter-wide - The MythCenter Wide MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-neon-wide - The Neon MythTV theme (widescreen)
    mythtv-theme-projectgrayhem - The Project Grayhem MythTV theme
    mythtv-theme-projectgrayhem-osd - The Project Grayhem MythTV OSD
    mythtv-theme-projectgrayhem-wide - The Project Grayhem MythTV theme
    (widescreen)
    mythtv-theme-retro - The Retro MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-retro-osd - The Retro-OSD MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-titivillus - The Titivillus MythTV Theme
    mythtv-theme-titivillus-osd - The Titivillus-OSD MythTV Theme
    mythtv-themes - Additional themes metapackage for MythTV
    nuvexport - An alternative to MythTV's inbuilt transcoding
    xserver-xorg-video-ivtv - X.Org X server -- IVTV display driver
    xserver-xorg-video-geode - X.Org server -- Geode GX2/LX display driver
    xserver-xorg-video-geode-dbg - X.org server -- Geode GX2/LX display
    driver (debugging symbols)
    nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver
    nvidia-glx-new - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
    libxine1-ffmpeg - MPEG-related plugins for libxine1
    lightning-extension-locale-mk - Macedonian language package for
    lightning-extension
    lirc-x - Linux Infra-red Remote Control support (X dependent parts)
    mythbuntu-control-centre - Mythbuntu Configuration Application
    libmyth-0.21-0 - Common library code for MythTV and add-on modules (runtime)
    libmyth-dev - Common library code for MythTV and add-on modules
    (development)
    libmyth-perl - A PERL library to access some MythTV features
    libmyth-python - A python library to access some MythTV features
    mytharchive - create and burn DVD's from MythTV - binary file
    mytharchive-data - create and burn DVD's from MythTV - data files
    mythbrowser - A small web browser module for MythTV
    mythcontrols - External controls for MythTV
    mythflix - netflix module for MythTV
    mythgallery - Image gallery/slideshow add-on module for MythTV
    mythgame - Emulator & PC Game frontend module for MythTV
    mythmusic - Music add-on module for MythTV
    mythnews - An RSS feed news reader module for MythTV
    mythphone - a phone and videophone module for MythTV
    mythplugins - Wrapper package for MythTV plugins
    mythtv - A personal video recorder application (client and server)
    mythtv-backend - A personal video recorder application (server)
    mythtv-backend-master - Metapackage to setup and configure a "Master
    Backend" profile of MythTV.
    mythtv-common - A personal video recorder application (common data)
    mythtv-database - A personal video recorder application (database)
    mythtv-doc - A personal video recorder application (documentation)
    mythtv-frontend - A personal video recorder application (client)
    mythtv-transcode-utils - Utilities used for transcoding MythTV tasks
    mythvideo - A generic video player frontend module for MythTV
    mythweather - Weather add-on module for MythTV
    mythweb - Web interface add-on module for MythTV
    mythzoneminder - view status and display footage recorded with zoneminder
    nvidia-glx-envy - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org driver
    nvidia-glx-legacy - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'legacy' driver
    nvidia-glx-legacy-envy - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'legacy' driver
    nvidia-glx-new-envy - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver
    ubuntu-mythtv-frontend - Metapackage to setup and configure a "Frontend"
    profile of MythTV.

    From within the directory where this script resides, run from a
    terminal with:

    ../localtv.sh 12345

    Replace the 12345 with your ZIP Code. I and the author do not know if
    the service is available for outside of the USA, but you may know how to
    modify the ZIP info in the script to fit your area.

    Using from any other directory, just use the full path.

    #!/bin/bash

    #
    # localtv.sh - Get your local regular and HD Tv listings
    #
    # 2008 - Mike Golvach - eggi@comcast.net
    #
    # Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United
    States License
    #

    numargs=$#
    date=`date`
    hour=`date "+%H"`
    minute=`date "+%M"`
    if [ $hour -lt 12 ]
    then
    if [ $minute -lt 30 ]
    then
    nicetime="${hour}:00 AM"
    else
    nicetime="${hour}:30 AM"
    fi
    else
    let hour=$hour-12
    if [ $minute -lt 30 ]
    then
    nicetime="${hour}:00 PM"
    else
    nicetime="${hour}:30 PM"
    fi
    fi

    nohd=0

    if [ $numargs -gt 2 ]
    then
    echo "Usage: $0 USZipCode [nohd]"
    exit 1
    fi
    if [ $numargs -eq 2 ]
    then
    if [ "$2" == "nohd" ]
    then
    nohd=1
    else
    echo "Usage: $0 USZipCode [nohd]"
    exit 1
    fi
    fi

    args="$1"
    wget=/usr/bin/wget
    pager=/bin/more
    nicedate=`date "+%m/%d/%y"`

    echo
    echo "Television Listings for $nicedate - $nicetime"
    echo

    if [ $nohd -eq 1 ]
    then
    $wget -nv -O -
    "http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?method=decideFwdForLineup&zipcode=${args}&setMyPreference=false&lineupId=PC:${args}"
    2>&1|sed -e :a -e 's/<[^>]*>/ /g;/ -e '1,/Forgotten password/d' -e '/isFavoritesAvailable/,$d'|sed -e
    '/[ECMP][SD]T/,+6d' -e "s/'/'/" -e 's/&/\&/' -e '/zc.getAdFrame/d' -e
    's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//'| sed -n '/^[0-9][0-9]*$/,+2p'|sed
    's/^\([0-9][0-9]*\)$/\n\1/'|sed '/^[0-9][0-9]*$/ {
    s/ *\n/\t/g
    }'|$pager
    else
    $wget -nv -O -
    "http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?method=decideFwdForLineup&zipcode=${args}&setMyPreference=false&lineupId=PC:${args}"
    2>&1|sed -e :a -e 's/<[^>]*>/ /g;/ -e '1,/Forgotten password/d' -e '/isFavoritesAvailable/,$d'|sed -e
    '/[ECMP][SD]T/,+6d' -e "s/'/'/" -e 's/&/\&/' -e '/zc.getAdFrame/d' -e
    's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//'| sed -n '/^[0-9][0-9]*\.*[0-9]*$/,+2p'|sed -e
    's/^\([0-9][0-9]*\.*[0-9]*\)$/\n\1/'|sed '/^[0-9][0-9]*\.*[0-9]*$/ {
    s/ *\n/\t/g
    }'|$pager
    fi

    exit 0

    John

  4. Re: Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb

    keith wrote:

    > Kaffeine

    Is enough for me. Simple, searches the channels itself and you need some
    libs like lidvdcss and xine-..

    for sale / te koop
    http://www.kapaza.be/Audio/Tuners/10...l_Maxview.html
    http://www.kapaza.be/Audio/Tuners/93..._AM_LW_FM.html
    http://www.kapaza.be/Audio/Tuners/10...g_Maxview.html

  5. Re: Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb

    On 2008-11-07, Mike H wrote:
    > Please can I use your expertise to guide me step by step through getting a
    > usb Hauppage WinTV nova-t working in Ubuntu 8.04.
    > I am completely out of my depth with Ubuntu, and I got lost in the help
    > system that Totem Movie Player offered me when I selected "watch tv on dvb
    > adapter 0". It told me I am missing a channels listing, I did manage to
    > find a list from something called w_scan, which I saved as a text file on my
    > desktop. Now I don't know what to call it and where to put it, or even what
    > lines the file should begin and end with.
    > Is Totem the best for UK tv, or should I try other players.

    Totem is a media player, it cares not where it is from.

    May I suggest that you stepback to something more simple to get an
    understanding of Ubuntu/Linux first.

  6. Re: Hauppage WinTV Nova-T on usb

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:13:51 +0000, Mike H wrote:

    > Please can I use your expertise to guide me step by step through getting
    > a usb Hauppage WinTV nova-t working in Ubuntu 8.04. I am completely out
    > of my depth with Ubuntu, and I got lost in the help system that Totem
    > Movie Player offered me when I selected "watch tv on dvb adapter 0". It
    > told me I am missing a channels listing, I did manage to find a list
    > from something called w_scan, which I saved as a text file on my
    > desktop. Now I don't know what to call it and where to put it, or even
    > what lines the file should begin and end with. Is Totem the best for UK
    > tv, or should I try other players.
    >
    > Mike H

    I was wandering through a set of Myth instructions last night, and found
    a warning that Hauppage WinTV USB will definitely not work with Myth.
    Might be worth a bit of googling to see whether this is because of a
    basic incompatibility between the hardware and Linux, as no extent of
    playing around outside the driver will get it sorted, if this is the
    case. I gather that some DVBs don't stick to the standards, and rely on
    their own specialised software to get them out of the brown stuff. This
    is likely to only be Win variety, unless their website says otherwise.

    There are compatibility lists - I'm afraid I dont have them off the top
    of my head, but a google on linux and digital TV (or DVB) should show
    them up. I think Linuxtv.org might be one of them.

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread