Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and have it dual boot. The WinXP disk I have is not in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin 250GB
    HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and have it dual
    boot.

    The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!), but, if I
    understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.

    Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu, or the other way
    around?

    What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?

    Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Marcel

  2. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin 250GB
    > HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and have it dual
    > boot.
    >
    > The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!), but, if I
    > understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.
    >
    > Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu, or the other way
    > around?
    >
    > What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?
    >
    > Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    You have to install Windows first because MS' arrogance assumes that
    you /only/ want Windows, so they wipe the MBR (Master Boot Record) so it only
    points at the MS stuff.

    After the pain and unnecessary trauma of a Windows, anti-malware, and software
    install, you can boot from the Ubuntu disk, and let it do its thing. Early
    on, it will offer to partition your disk - just use half for Windows and half
    for Ubuntu. The Ubuntu installer will rewrite the MBR, but will cope with
    the existence of two operating systems. You will be prompted to create user
    names and passwords, asked about your locale, and then all will be ready to
    go. You'll find that Ubuntu will want to do some updates, but you'll then
    have a comprehensive system with a full suite of programmes.

    You'll find that installing Windows and all its associated bits will take a
    few hours. Installing Ubuntu will take about 20 minutes!

    C.

  3. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin 250GB
    > HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and have it dual
    > boot.
    >
    > The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!),

    Something's not right then. Is it an update disk? An OEM disk with
    drivers and software, but not the operating system? Are you sure you've
    got your BIOS set to boot from CD before HDD?

    > but, if I
    > understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.

    Yes, the Desktop CD is bootable. As are most Linux install CDs anymore.

    > Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu, or the other way
    > around?

    It's simpler that way, and most of the tutorials you'll see and advise
    you'll get will assume that's the case.

    > What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?

    Just follow the directions. It will be much easier than the Windows install.

    > Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Don't get ahead of yourself. If you insist on dual booting, you need to
    get the Windows install straightened out first. Once that's done, the
    Ubuntu install will be like a breath of fresh air.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  4. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Mark Warner
    wrote in news:6nj8rcFm3c2nU1@mid.individual.net:

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin
    >> 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and
    >> have it dual boot.
    >>
    >> The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!),

    > Something's not right then. Is it an update disk? An OEM disk with
    > drivers and software, but not the operating system? Are you sure
    > you've got your BIOS set to boot from CD before HDD?

    It's not an update disk. It is a WIndows XP disk that I bought from the
    university's computing services store when I was a student at university.
    It looks like they simply copied WinXP Pro Installation CD, but never did
    the right things to actually set it as bootable. Complete and utter pain in
    the ass if you ask me, as now I have to jump through hoops to actually make
    a bootable CD for it.

    > Don't get ahead of yourself. If you insist on dual booting, you need
    > to get the Windows install straightened out first. Once that's done,
    > the Ubuntu install will be like a breath of fresh air.

    Pretty much everyone is saying that, so that is what I will do.

    Thanks!!

    --
    Marcel

  5. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Christopher Hunter wrote
    in news:6nj8cnFlvjdcU1@mid.individual.net:

    > You have to install Windows first because MS' arrogance assumes that
    > you /only/ want Windows, so they wipe the MBR (Master Boot Record) so
    > it only points at the MS stuff.

    OK.

    Thanks for the info!

    --
    Marcel

  6. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:31:59 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin
    > 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and
    > have it dual boot.
    >
    > The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!), but, if I
    > understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.
    >
    > Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu, or the other way
    > around?
    >
    > What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?
    >
    > Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    If you insist on dual booting, it is indeed better to install MS first -
    the reason is that it WILL overwrite the MBR. If you install it first,
    then Linux will detect that it is already there and set up the dual boot
    for you automagically. If other way around, then you have to do that
    manually - not overly difficult, but may be challenging if you've never
    done that before.

    Now, the $64 question: are you sure you really want to dual boot? If you
    install one OS as a virtual machine within the other one then you can
    access both without having to do a reboot. It is a trivial process to set
    up virtualbox within Ubuntu and then install MS in a virtual machine.

  7. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, ray wrote in

    > Now, the $64 question: are you sure you really want to dual boot? If
    > you install one OS as a virtual machine within the other one then you
    > can access both without having to do a reboot. It is a trivial process
    > to set up virtualbox within Ubuntu and then install MS in a virtual
    > machine.

    Huh?? (Here is where me not knowing enough to know what I don't know rears
    its ugly head)

    Me goes off to google to figure out a little bit more about virtual
    machines in linux...

    --
    Marcel

  8. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Marcel Beaudoin
    wrote in news:Xns9B4F796DDB7DCmarcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:

    > in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, ray wrote in
    >
    >> Now, the $64 question: are you sure you really want to dual boot? If
    >> you install one OS as a virtual machine within the other one then you
    >> can access both without having to do a reboot. It is a trivial
    >> process to set up virtualbox within Ubuntu and then install MS in a
    >> virtual machine.

    > Huh?? (Here is where me not knowing enough to know what I don't know
    > rears its ugly head)
    >
    > Me goes off to google to figure out a little bit more about virtual
    > machines in linux...

    I use a Linksys wireless router and wireless network card to connect to the
    internet. I have read that a Virtual Machine won't be able to connect to
    the 'net through a virtual machine. Is this true?

    --
    Marcel

  9. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin
    >> 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and
    >> have it dual boot.
    >>
    >> The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!),

    > Something's not right then. Is it an update disk? An OEM disk with
    > drivers and software, but not the operating system? Are you sure
    > you've got your BIOS set to boot from CD before HDD?
    >
    >> but, if I understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.

    > Yes, the Desktop CD is bootable. As are most Linux install CDs anymore.
    >
    >> Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu, or the other
    >> way around?

    > It's simpler that way, and most of the tutorials you'll see and advise
    > you'll get will assume that's the case.
    >
    >> What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?

    > Just follow the directions. It will be much easier than the Windows
    > install.
    >
    >> Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    > Don't get ahead of yourself. If you insist on dual booting, you need
    > to get the Windows install straightened out first. Once that's done,
    > the Ubuntu install will be like a breath of fresh air.

    If it is not a full Windows "bootable" CD, then he can buy one from a
    computer store. XP is still on sale.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+XP+OEM

    Or better, he can just install Ubuntu and then use Wine for whatever
    Windows programs he thinks he still needs.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >>
    >> Me goes off to google to figure out a little bit more about virtual
    >> machines in linux...

    > I use a Linksys wireless router and wireless network card to connect to the
    > internet. I have read that a Virtual Machine won't be able to connect to
    > the 'net through a virtual machine. Is this true?

    No.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  11. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    wrote in news:6njbnuFlun0aU1@mid.individual.net:

    >> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Me goes off to google to figure out a little bit more about virtual
    >>> machines in linux...

    And another silly question - Will .net applications have a problem running
    on a virtual machine??

    or two - How about computer games?

    (I apologize if the questions seem simple or stupid, I honestly don't know)

    --
    Marcel

  12. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:31:11 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Mark Warner
    > wrote in news:6njbnuFlun0aU1@mid.individual.net:

    > And another silly question - Will .net applications have a problem
    > running on a virtual machine??

    ..Net apps will run in a virtual machine just fine.

    > or two - How about computer games?

    Well, up until a few days ago I would have answered no way.

    However, just yesterday I had an e-mail from VMWare that the new 6.5
    version supports DirectX9.0c, however only up until Shader Model 2.0.
    That one definitely caught my attention!

    For a very large percentage of games, that should be more than adequate.
    However, if a game has optional special effects using Shader Model 3 or
    requires SM 3 to even run at all then for those you'd be out of luck.

    However, if they have come this far then I suspect support for SM3.0 is
    not far away.

    Can't comment on performance as I've not yet actually tried it.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  13. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:12:28 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Marcel Beaudoin
    > wrote in news:Xns9B4F796DDB7DCmarcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:
    >
    >> in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, ray wrote in
    >>
    >>> Now, the $64 question: are you sure you really want to dual boot? If
    >>> you install one OS as a virtual machine within the other one then you
    >>> can access both without having to do a reboot. It is a trivial process
    >>> to set up virtualbox within Ubuntu and then install MS in a virtual
    >>> machine.

    >> Huh?? (Here is where me not knowing enough to know what I don't know
    >> rears its ugly head)
    >>
    >> Me goes off to google to figure out a little bit more about virtual
    >> machines in linux...

    > I use a Linksys wireless router and wireless network card to connect to
    > the internet. I have read that a Virtual Machine won't be able to
    > connect to the 'net through a virtual machine. Is this true?

    I've done it, but I don't have an MS installed - it should work.

  14. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Marcel Beaudoin
    > wrote in news:Xns9B4F796DDB7DCmarcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:
    >

    > I use a Linksys wireless router and wireless network card to connect to the
    > internet. I have read that a Virtual Machine won't be able to connect to
    > the 'net through a virtual machine. Is this true?

    I may not be totally understanding your question here..re:

    "Virtual Machine won't be able to connect to the 'net through a virtual
    machine."

    ......but if you are asking if internet access is possible from the VM
    session then yes it is possible. The VM (guest) will use the host's
    internet connection.

  15. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:31:59 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin
    > 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and
    > have it dual boot.

    I would like to suggest you boot the Ubuntu liveCD first and run cfdisk,
    and use it to partition the disk. Then install WinXP (it insists on going
    onto the first partition) and boot and test it.

    Then install Ubuntu to the other partition. It should detect the windows
    partition and setup GRUB for dualboot for you. Much easier that way. If
    you do it the other-way-around then the Ubuntu installer will try to
    shrink the NTFS partition containing WinXP, which will probably work, but
    why take the chance if you can so easily avoid it?

    If you have less than a gig of RAM I suggest you set aside a gig or more
    for swap. So that would be 3 partitions total to setup. RAM is cheap but
    disk space is cheaper and more plentiful. If you do much photo editing or
    the like you will be glad to have the swap.

  16. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, propman wrote in

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >> in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Marcel Beaudoin
    >> wrote in news:Xns9B4F796DDB7DCmarcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:
    >>

    >> I use a Linksys wireless router and wireless network card to connect
    >> to the internet. I have read that a Virtual Machine won't be able to
    >> connect to the 'net through a virtual machine. Is this true?
    >>

    > I may not be totally understanding your question here..re:
    >
    > "Virtual Machine won't be able to connect to the 'net through a
    > virtual machine."

    Ummm, yeah. I really should learn to get more caffeine before I try to type
    anything coherent.

    What I wanted to - I have heard that, with a wireless connection (I have a
    linksys wireless network card), that Windows, when running inside a Virtual
    Machine, will not be able to (or have problems with) connecting to the
    internet.

    > .....but if you are asking if internet access is possible from the VM
    > session then yes it is possible. The VM (guest) will use the host's
    > internet connection.

    Thanks!!

    --
    Marcel

  17. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Marcel Beaudoin wrote in
    news:Xns9B4F941C95C95marcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:

    > What I wanted to - I have heard that, with a wireless connection (I
    > have a linksys wireless network card), that Windows, when running
    > inside a Virtual Machine, will not be able to (or have problems with)
    > connecting to the internet.

    Why do you want to do this? I can think of programs that I need to run that
    will only run on Windows (my Bible resource program, with hundreds of
    dollars of copywritten texts, being foremost), but none of them have to do
    with the internet. I'm a Linux newbie, but would expect that Ubuntu has a
    pretty full complement of internet apps.

  18. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, preacher wrote in

    > Marcel Beaudoin wrote in
    > news:Xns9B4F941C95C95marcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:
    >
    >> What I wanted to - I have heard that, with a wireless connection (I
    >> have a linksys wireless network card), that Windows, when running
    >> inside a Virtual Machine, will not be able to (or have problems with)
    >> connecting to the internet.

    > Why do you want to do this? I can think of programs that I need to run
    > that will only run on Windows (my Bible resource program, with
    > hundreds of dollars of copywritten texts, being foremost), but none of
    > them have to do with the internet. I'm a Linux newbie, but would
    > expect that Ubuntu has a pretty full complement of internet apps.

    It is a program that I am beta-testing that requires a connection to the
    'net to get updates. It runs on the .net framwork, if that makes any
    difference.

    --
    Marcel

  19. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 19:33:46 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, propman wrote in
    >
    >> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >>> in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Marcel Beaudoin
    >>> wrote in news:Xns9B4F796DDB7DCmarcelbeaudoingmailc@130.133. 1.4:
    >>>

    >>> I use a Linksys wireless router and wireless network card to connect
    >>> to the internet. I have read that a Virtual Machine won't be able to
    >>> connect to the 'net through a virtual machine. Is this true?
    >>>

    >> I may not be totally understanding your question here..re:
    >>
    >> "Virtual Machine won't be able to connect to the 'net through a virtual
    >> machine."

    > Ummm, yeah. I really should learn to get more caffeine before I try to
    > type anything coherent.
    >
    > What I wanted to - I have heard that, with a wireless connection (I have
    > a linksys wireless network card), that Windows, when running inside a
    > Virtual Machine, will not be able to (or have problems with) connecting
    > to the internet.

    That is completely false.

    Windows won't even know you have a wireless connection running from the
    virtual machine. It won't need to.

    I don't think you grasp the concept of a --> Virtual <-- Machine. The
    operating system does not use the "real" hardware of your computer! Your
    real computers hardware is abstracted by the virtual machine.

    Basically it works like this:

    Your PC has a wireless card.

    Your Host OS uses this wireless card to establish the connection.

    The Virtual Machine software uses the Host OS connection (regardless of
    how this connection is physically implemented, wired / wireless does not
    matter) to provide a network connection to the Guest OS in the form of a
    virtual piece of "wired" network hardware.

    The Guest OS sees this virtual network hardware, and uses that via
    drivers provided from the virtual machine for it's connection.

    So in simplified terms:

    Physical Connection (Wired / Wireless) -> Host OS.
    Host OS -> Virtual Machine.
    Virtual Machine -> Guest OS.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  20. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On 2008-11-07, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > What I wanted to - I have heard that, with a wireless connection (I have a
    > linksys wireless network card), that Windows, when running inside a Virtual
    > Machine, will not be able to (or have problems with) connecting to the
    > internet.

    It is easier in VirtualBox than in VMWare Server, but it CAN be done
    in either, depending on your wireless card.

    I would recommend VirtualBox, and unless you need to be able to
    access the Virtual Machine from another PC, use NAT. That will work
    with your wireless with 0 configuration. The Virtual Machine does not
    know it is using wireless. There is a Virtual network adapter
    installed in the VM, and that accesses the network through the PC's
    NIC.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast