Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; On 2008-11-07, Roland Latour wrote: > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:31:59 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote: > >> Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin >> 250GB HD, and would like to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On 2008-11-07, Roland Latour wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:31:59 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >
    >> Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin
    >> 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and
    >> have it dual boot.

    > I would like to suggest you boot the Ubuntu liveCD first and run cfdisk,
    > and use it to partition the disk. Then install WinXP (it insists on going
    > onto the first partition) and boot and test it.

    This is a useless extra step.

    > Then install Ubuntu to the other partition. It should detect the windows
    > partition and setup GRUB for dualboot for you. Much easier that way. If
    > you do it the other-way-around then the Ubuntu installer will try to
    > shrink the NTFS partition containing WinXP, which will probably work, but
    > why take the chance if you can so easily avoid it?

    This is not necessary. When you install Windows, it allows you to
    manually configure the partitions. Simply install Windows to an NTFS
    partition that is of the size you need, leaving space for a linux
    partition.

    > If you have less than a gig of RAM I suggest you set aside a gig or more
    > for swap. So that would be 3 partitions total to setup. RAM is cheap but
    > disk space is cheaper and more plentiful. If you do much photo editing or
    > the like you will be glad to have the swap.

    You'd be more glad to have the RAM. With 1 GB Dimms going for about
    $25 now, it makes sense to just install as much as your machine can
    handle.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On 2008-11-07, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin 250GB
    > HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and have it dual
    > boot.
    >
    > The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!), but, if I
    > understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.
    >
    > Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu,

    Yes, Ms Penguin is polite and considers what else is on the HD. Ms Windows
    acts in a very agorant manner.

    > What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?

    Did I really, really ned to instal Ms Windows ;-

  3. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On 2008-11-08, Helge Kruse wrote:

    > "Gordon" wrote in message
    >> Did I really, really ned to instal Ms Windows ;-

    > This articel illustrates wonderful the dissimulation of some linux news
    > group posters. (I cant count linux users, since only posters are
    > visible here.) At first they bitch against oher operating system
    > vendors, mostly Microsoft, since they seem to know nobody else. They
    > accuse them to be arrogant. But in mind is such an arrogance that only
    > the system they like is useful.
    >
    > Problem with Multiboot? Delete anything I dislike. .... argh!

    Read much?

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    "Gordon" wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-07, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    >>
    >> Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu,

    > Yes, Ms Penguin is polite and considers what else is on the HD. Ms
    > Windows
    > acts in a very agorant manner.
    >

    >> What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing
    >> Ubuntu?
    >>

    > Did I really, really ned to instal Ms Windows ;-

    This articel illustrates wonderful the dissimulation of some linux news
    group posters. (I cant count linux users, since only posters are
    visible here.) At first they bitch against oher operating system
    vendors, mostly Microsoft, since they seem to know nobody else. They
    accuse them to be arrogant. But in mind is such an arrogance that only
    the system they like is useful.

    Problem with Multiboot? Delete anything I dislike. .... argh!

    /Helge

  5. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:31:59 +0000, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

    > Due to a HD failure, I am in the position of starting from a virgin
    > 250GB HD, and would like to install both Ubuntu *and* Windows XP and
    > have it dual boot.
    >
    > The WinXP disk I have is not in a bootable fomat (BOO!!!), but, if I
    > understand the Ubuntu website correctly, the Ubuntu CD is.
    >
    > Is it better to install windows first and then Ubuntu, or the other way
    > around?
    >
    > What are the things that I should keep in mind while installing Ubuntu?
    >
    > Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    My laptop is dual boot. I installed Windows first since it did not come
    with any application to provide for multiboot, (though they are
    available).
    I then installed U8.04.1 and it works fine. Comes up with a list of what
    I can boot to. Defaults to Ubuntu after 10 seconds if I don't choose
    another one.

    After doing this, I did get a found new hardware dialog the first time I
    booted to windows. apparently it wanted to install the Ubuntu partition.
    I simply ignored it an closed the dialog. It never returned.

    I haven't had any issues to date and it's been a few months.

  6. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > You'll find that installing Windows and all its associated bits will

    take a
    > few hours. Installing Ubuntu will take about 20 minutes!
    >
    > C.

    What? Surely you've exaggerated both times. One high, one low.

    Not that it really matters to me... but the truth will out.

    Lang

  7. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Lang wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > > You'll find that installing Windows and all its associated bits will

    > take a
    >> few hours. Installing Ubuntu will take about 20 minutes!
    >>
    >> C.

    > What? Surely you've exaggerated both times. One high, one low.

    Not at all. I had the recent misfortune to have to install Windows XP and a
    bunch of applications. It took over four hours.

    Later I installed Ubuntu on the same hardware... 20 minutes for /more/
    functionality than the Windows install!

    C.

  8. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    Lang wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> You'll find that installing Windows and all its associated bits will
    >> take a few hours. Installing Ubuntu will take about 20 minutes!

    > What? Surely you've exaggerated both times. One high, one low.
    >
    > Not that it really matters to me... but the truth will out.

    And the truth is he's right. My last episode with Windows took about
    3-1/2 hours to install XPsp2, install sp3 from disk, install all the
    subsequent Windows Updates (using a fast connection), and install the
    basic security apps that any Windows install requires. That's before
    installing any *useful* applications.

    A clean Ubuntu install takes about twenty-five minutes on both my
    mainstream desktop and my old laptop. Another thirty minutes to do some
    tweaking and install nVidia and get all the multimedia stuff set up and
    I'm ready to go.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  9. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    So I have installed XP on a 30 GB partition, and have another 220GB
    partition free.

    If I understand the psychocat tutorials right, my best bet would be to have
    Ubuntu install on its own partition next (about 20 GB), have another
    partition (approx 10 GB) for /home, and then a small swap file partition,
    with the balance being a common data partition.

    How should the data partition be formatted? IIRC, there is a specific
    format (EXT3) that works really will with Ubuntu, and that Windows can read
    with the installation of a small untility (FS-drive). Is it worth doing
    this?

    --
    Marcel

  10. Re: Newbie question - Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu

    On 2008-11-10, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
    > So I have installed XP on a 30 GB partition, and have another 220GB
    > partition free.
    >
    > If I understand the psychocat tutorials right, my best bet would be to have
    > Ubuntu install on its own partition next (about 20 GB), have another
    > partition (approx 10 GB) for /home, and then a small swap file partition,
    > with the balance being a common data partition.

    That's completely up to you. Just make sure that however you set it
    up, you are giving yourself enough room to grow...

    > How should the data partition be formatted? IIRC, there is a specific
    > format (EXT3) that works really will with Ubuntu, and that Windows can read
    > with the installation of a small untility (FS-drive). Is it worth doing
    > this?

    If you are planning to use it as a shared partition, I would probably
    format it as NTFS (from within Linux). That way, it will be readable
    AND writeable from both OS'. The ext3 drivers for Windows are
    perfectly capable of reading ext3, but they don't do so well if you
    ever need to write to it...