Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ... - Ubuntu ; Yah, took three days of various attempts to get wireless working on a Dell Latitude D620. Tried it in 8.04, couldn't get it working. Slicked the box and tried 7.10. No go. Slicked the box again with 8.04 and... Here's ...

  1. Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    Yah, took three days of various attempts to get wireless working on a
    Dell Latitude D620. Tried it in 8.04, couldn't get it working. Slicked
    the box and tried 7.10. No go. Slicked the box again with 8.04 and...

    Here's where the trail gets foggy. Think I installed b43-fwcutter last
    night, but was getting nowhere, so shut down. Tonight, booted seat and
    got restricted drivers notification. Went through the same stuff, pretty
    much, that I'd gone through before. Was told to reboot seat. Did.

    So here's the rub... I have wireless happening right now. But the
    interface is ID'd as eth1, not wlanX.

    Sorta assumed a wireless connection would show up as a wlan, not an eth.

    Personally, don't give a hoot why... jes' happy wireless connection is
    working and appears pretty fast. (Well, haven't d/l'd any big files, so
    don't really know how fast it is, but it ain't dog slow.)

    Which brings me to a question. When I booted the seat prior to getting
    the wireless card working, I'd see a quick flash of a msg saying
    something about wireless problem and go to http://yadda-yadda-yadda...

    Is that msg captured in a log? And, if so, what's the file name and
    where might it be?

    TIA,

    Lang

  2. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    Lang wrote:
    > Yah, took three days of various attempts to get wireless working on a
    > Dell Latitude D620. Tried it in 8.04, couldn't get it working. Slicked
    > the box and tried 7.10. No go. Slicked the box again with 8.04 and...
    >
    > Here's where the trail gets foggy. Think I installed b43-fwcutter last
    > night, but was getting nowhere, so shut down. Tonight, booted seat and
    > got restricted drivers notification. Went through the same stuff, pretty
    > much, that I'd gone through before. Was told to reboot seat. Did.
    >
    > So here's the rub... I have wireless happening right now. But the
    > interface is ID'd as eth1, not wlanX.
    >
    > Sorta assumed a wireless connection would show up as a wlan, not an eth.
    >
    > Personally, don't give a hoot why... jes' happy wireless connection is
    > working and appears pretty fast. (Well, haven't d/l'd any big files, so
    > don't really know how fast it is, but it ain't dog slow.)
    >
    > Which brings me to a question. When I booted the seat prior to getting
    > the wireless card working, I'd see a quick flash of a msg saying
    > something about wireless problem and go to http://yadda-yadda-yadda...
    >
    > Is that msg captured in a log? And, if so, what's the file name and
    > where might it be?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Lang

    Well... put box into suspend mode... when I tried to revive it... black
    screen. No amount of spacebar, arrow keys, or mouse movement could get
    me back to desktop. Hard reset time.

    Get to UB desktop and... no wireless. Had to go into Network Tools and
    reset everything again to regain wireless. (Guess I need to leave a file
    on the desktop with my WPA key...) Gee...

    Lang

  3. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    ?

    --
    John

  4. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    Lang wrote:
    > Yah, took three days of various attempts to get wireless working on a
    > Dell Latitude D620. Tried it in 8.04, couldn't get it working. Slicked
    > the box and tried 7.10. No go. Slicked the box again with 8.04 and...
    >
    > Here's where the trail gets foggy. Think I installed b43-fwcutter last
    > night, but was getting nowhere, so shut down. Tonight, booted seat and
    > got restricted drivers notification. Went through the same stuff,
    > pretty much, that I'd gone through before. Was told to reboot seat. Did.
    >
    > So here's the rub... I have wireless happening right now. But the
    > interface is ID'd as eth1, not wlanX.
    >
    > Sorta assumed a wireless connection would show up as a wlan, not an eth.
    >
    > Personally, don't give a hoot why... jes' happy wireless connection is
    > working and appears pretty fast. (Well, haven't d/l'd any big files,
    > so don't really know how fast it is, but it ain't dog slow.)
    >
    > Which brings me to a question. When I booted the seat prior to getting
    > the wireless card working, I'd see a quick flash of a msg saying
    > something about wireless problem and go to http://yadda-yadda-yadda...
    >
    > Is that msg captured in a log? And, if so, what's the file name and
    > where might it be?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Lang

    You can check dmesg (that is what you type into a terminal).

    Or prowl around in /var/log and examine interesting logs with the less
    pager command.

    If they are archives that were rotated (ending in a .gz extension), then
    use zless instead of the less command.

    Other useful investigative commands are:

    lshw[List Hardware -- takes a few seconds to gather the data]

    sudo lspci -v[List PCI use verbosely]

    sudo lsusb -v[List USB use verbosely]

    sudo dmidecode

    sudo lsof[List Open Files]

    ps -ef[List Processes -- read man ps for more info]

    ps aux[List Processes]

    pstree[List Processes in a tree format]

    uname -a [System information]

    printenv [Prints your environment to standard out (your screen)]

    apropos [The one command you should never forget]

    The following depend on your distro or version. Not all will work with
    Ubuntu, and not all are for every release version.

    sudo ddcprobe [Probe video and monitor capabilities]

    less /var/log/installer/hardware-summary

    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices[List USB devices]

    sudo /usr/bin/report-hw [Report on hardware]

    Finally, the one command you should never forget is apropos(1). What is
    it? Well, enter:

    man apropos

    to find out. ;-)

    I suggest you archive this message (easy to do in Thunderbird), or copy
    it to a textfile, or print it. Then you will have it for future reference.

    I guarantee you cannot remember all of these. Why else would I teach you
    the apropos command? ;-)

    --
    John

  5. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Lang wrote:

    >> Well... put box into suspend mode... when I tried to revive it...
    >> black screen. No amount of spacebar, arrow keys, or mouse movement
    >> could get me back to desktop. Hard reset time.

    > ?

    Thanks, John, will keep that in mind next time I try to suspend this box.

    Lang

  6. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > I suggest you archive this message (easy to do in Thunderbird), or copy
    > it to a textfile, or print it. Then you will have it for future reference.
    >
    > I guarantee you cannot remember all of these. Why else would I teach you
    > the apropos command? ;-)

    Will do John. Thanks for the time spent putting this together; appreciated!

    Lang

  7. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    Lang wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Lang wrote:

    >>> Well... put box into suspend mode... when I tried to revive it...
    >>> black screen. No amount of spacebar, arrow keys, or mouse movement
    >>> could get me back to desktop. Hard reset time.

    >> ?
    >>

    > Thanks, John, will keep that in mind next time I try to suspend this box.
    >
    > Lang

    Be careful! This is not a suspend command, but kills the X-11 session,
    returning you to a login screen. AFAIK, it gives you no chance to save
    any open files.

    It is a fast way to "log off" though, and start a new X session. It can
    get you out of some of those rare "freezes" without a reboot, which
    takes a lot more time, and kills all of the other users and processes.

    The safer method is to switch to a TTY console using
    through (usually) and from that TTY terminal, diagnose
    and fix any problem, including killing some runaway process.

    The "reset" option, whether the reset button on the PC or the
    key sequence, can be harmful to your file system, just
    like hitting the power switch or pulling the plug.

    Note the difference between these:

    [Kills X and will usually restart the X server]

    and

    [Reboots the system]

    --
    John

  8. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    Lang wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> I suggest you archive this message (easy to do in Thunderbird), or
    >> copy it to a textfile, or print it. Then you will have it for future
    >> reference.
    >>
    >> I guarantee you cannot remember all of these. Why else would I teach
    >> you the apropos command? ;-)
    >>

    > Will do John. Thanks for the time spent putting this together;
    > appreciated!
    >
    > Lang

    You are welcome. Hang around me and I'll hurt both your brain and your
    hard drive. ;-)

    Right after I posted the message I ran across this valuable compilation:

    http://cb.vu/unixtoolbox.xhtml

    Another one to bookmark.

    --
    John

  9. Re: Got 8.04 wireless working... don't ask -how- ...

    Lang wrote:
    > Lang wrote:
    >> Yah, took three days of various attempts to get wireless working on a
    >> Dell Latitude D620. Tried it in 8.04, couldn't get it working. Slicked
    >> the box and tried 7.10. No go. Slicked the box again with 8.04 and...
    >>
    >> Here's where the trail gets foggy. Think I installed b43-fwcutter last
    >> night, but was getting nowhere, so shut down. Tonight, booted seat and
    >> got restricted drivers notification. Went through the same stuff,
    >> pretty much, that I'd gone through before. Was told to reboot seat. Did.
    >>
    >> So here's the rub... I have wireless happening right now. But the
    >> interface is ID'd as eth1, not wlanX.
    >>
    >> Sorta assumed a wireless connection would show up as a wlan, not an eth.
    >>
    >> Personally, don't give a hoot why... jes' happy wireless connection is
    >> working and appears pretty fast. (Well, haven't d/l'd any big files,
    >> so don't really know how fast it is, but it ain't dog slow.)

    Install 8.10. Far far better.

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams