VMWARE virtualisation - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on VMWARE virtualisation - Ubuntu ; Hi, At work, I got the assignment to setup a demoroom for IPTEL and Unified communications. For this I want to install a number server applications as virtual machines. Some of the applications need W$, others need Linux OS. What ...

  1. VMWARE virtualisation

    Hi,

    At work, I got the assignment to setup a demoroom for IPTEL and Unified
    communications.

    For this I want to install a number server applications as virtual machines.
    Some of the applications need W$, others need Linux OS.

    What would be the best way to virtualize this ?
    - use VMWARE ESX (no Host OS, only VMs on top of ESX)
    - use The Ubuntu optimized server as host OS for VMWARE server
    and build VMs on top of this

    Most applications require no specific HW, except from a screen, keyboard,
    mouse, but there is one application that needs an USB licence dongle to
    work.

    Does anyone have experience with this type of setup ?

    For the server HW, I intend to use a HP server with a quad core CPU,
    a second CPU socket to add CPU resources if needed, 10G RAM, 250G HD in
    raid1.
    --
    MarcB

  2. Re: VMWARE virtualisation

    MarcB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What would be the best way to virtualize this ?
    > - use VMWARE ESX (no Host OS, only VMs on top of ESX)
    > - use The Ubuntu optimized server as host OS for VMWARE server
    > and build VMs on top of this

    FWIW, Marc.....just in case you aren't aware of them, there are quite a
    few VMWare newsgroups available through usenet. Use your newsreader to
    do a search of the newsgroup list to see if they are available through
    your news server. :-)

  3. Re: VMWARE virtualisation

    On 2008-11-06, MarcB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At work, I got the assignment to setup a demoroom for IPTEL and Unified
    > communications.
    >
    > For this I want to install a number server applications as virtual machines.
    > Some of the applications need W$, others need Linux OS.
    >
    > What would be the best way to virtualize this ?
    > - use VMWARE ESX (no Host OS, only VMs on top of ESX)

    ESX does, indeed, have a Host OS. It runs a slightly bastardized
    version of RedHat 2.1 Enterprise Server.

    Also, ESX is not free. If you are planning on running this setup for
    more than the trial period (30 days, IIRC), it can be quite costly.

    > - use The Ubuntu optimized server as host OS for VMWARE server
    > and build VMs on top of this

    Or, perhaps running something like Xen on Ubuntu Server...

    > Most applications require no specific HW, except from a screen, keyboard,
    > mouse, but there is one application that needs an USB licence dongle to
    > work.

    This will not work with VMWare ESX, unless the newest versions have
    added it. I am running ESX 3.0 at home, and it doesn't support USB.
    We use a slightly newer revision for our VMWare farm at the office,
    and it also doesn't support USB.

    VirtualBox and VMWare Server both support USB.

    > Does anyone have experience with this type of setup ?
    >
    > For the server HW, I intend to use a HP server with a quad core CPU,
    > a second CPU socket to add CPU resources if needed, 10G RAM, 250G HD in
    > raid1.

    The hardware is probably sufficient, depending on how many Guests you
    plan on running... My ESX server is an IBM x335 with 2 2.1GHz Xeon
    P4's, 6GB of RAM and about 300GB in a 10 Drive Raid 5. I have 5
    Guests on it, 2 Win 2K3's and 3 Linux. It is sufficient for that. At
    the office, most of our Hosts hold around 25 Guests, and they do fine
    except for when Symantec Antivirus is doing scans or updates, which
    are centrally controlled and happen at the same time on all the damned
    Windows servers, and brings everything to a crawl overnight. I have
    been trying to get the damned Windows admins to set up better
    scheduling, but they are not as responsive as I'd like... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  4. Re: VMWARE virtualisation

    Joe wrote:

    >> the office, most of our Hosts hold around 25 Guests,

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of lineup are those hosts hosting; ie
    strictly different OS's and versions or OS's and specific apps? Also
    what kind of RAM requirements does a host such as this typically require?

    Just starting to get into the VM side of things here so if you have the
    time to send along a few particulars it would be most appreciated.

    Thanks. :-)

  5. Re: VMWARE virtualisation

    On 2008-11-07, propman wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >

    >>> the office, most of our Hosts hold around 25 Guests,

    > Just out of curiosity, what kind of lineup are those hosts hosting; ie
    > strictly different OS's and versions or OS's and specific apps? Also
    > what kind of RAM requirements does a host such as this typically require?
    >
    > Just starting to get into the VM side of things here so if you have the
    > time to send along a few particulars it would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks. :-)

    When a department requests a new server, by default they get a VM,
    unless they specifically request otherwise, and get upper management
    approval.

    The OS', Apps and alloted space vary. In general, we do not put SQL
    servers out there, but contrary to public opinion, we do have quite a
    few M$ Terminal Servers and Citrix Servers out there, working just
    fine.

    The hardware also varies widely, from smaller servers with 2 3GHz
    CPU's, 6GB of RAM and 6 NICs to larger servers with 8 CPUs, 64GB RAM
    and 8 NICs.

    They are all connected to our EMC SANs, to allow for VMotion failover
    and unlimited potential disk space.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  6. Re: VMWARE virtualisation

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-11-07, propman wrote:
    >
    >> Just starting to get into the VM side of things here so if you have the
    >> time to send along a few particulars it would be most appreciated.
    >>

    > When a department requests a new server, by default they get a VM,
    > unless they specifically request otherwise, and get upper management
    > approval.
    >
    > The OS', Apps and alloted space vary. In general, we do not put SQL
    > servers out there, but contrary to public opinion, we do have quite a
    > few M$ Terminal Servers and Citrix Servers out there, working just
    > fine.
    >
    > The hardware also varies widely, from smaller servers with 2 3GHz
    > CPU's, 6GB of RAM and 6 NICs to larger servers with 8 CPUs, 64GB RAM
    > and 8 NICs.
    >
    > They are all connected to our EMC SANs, to allow for VMotion failover
    > and unlimited potential disk space.

    Thanks for the info, Joe....much appreciated. :-)

+ Reply to Thread