Upgrade from 8.10 Alternative Disc and Making Ghost Backup - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Upgrade from 8.10 Alternative Disc and Making Ghost Backup - Ubuntu ; I've been running 8.04 on an old Dell Latitude C600 laptop without problems. The machine spec is P3 850, 512 MB RAM and a 10 GB HDD. I mainly use the machine with dialup when needing internet. Looking at upgrade ...

  1. Upgrade from 8.10 Alternative Disc and Making Ghost Backup

    I've been running 8.04 on an old Dell Latitude C600 laptop without
    problems. The machine spec is P3 850, 512 MB RAM and a 10 GB HDD. I
    mainly use the machine with dialup when needing internet.

    Looking at upgrade options for 8.10, I really didn't want to try a
    network upgrade over dialup. So, I was able to download the alternative
    disc on another broadband machine.

    The regular posted instructions for starting the upgrade from the
    alternative disc didn't work for me. There was no autorun that started
    the upgrade process. The commands that I've seen posted on the web sites
    didn't work. I had to run this command in terminal to make it work:

    gksu "sh '/media/Ubuntu 8.10 i386/cdromupgrade' "

    I wanted to have a backup of my full HDD before attempting the upgrade.
    I had been blindly using Norton Ghost 8.2 to write a backup to an image
    on a USB HDD with a PCMCIA USB2 adaptor (using a Panasonic DOS driver for
    the adaptor on my Ghost boot disc), assuming it could be restored from
    the image. I decided to test that and found I couldn't get a good
    restore - GRUB worked but it appeared to restore as an ext2 partition
    instead of ext3 or some other problem that corrupted the data and not
    allow bootup. I'm not sure if Norton Ghost has been made completely
    compatible with Ubuntu yet. Maybe other posters will know.

    I then tried Ghost for Linux (G4L) and got that to write an image to the
    USB HDD without problems and restore successfully. It even supported my
    PCMCIA USB2 adaptor without additional drivers. I restored to the same
    size HDD. I haven't tried restoring to a different size drive. I assume
    I would have to restore to a drive that is the same size or larger than
    the source HDD. Maybe someone else knows this for sure. The menus in
    G4L are a bit hard to follow and take some practice to learn - I like the
    interface for Norton Ghost better.

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

  2. Re: Upgrade from 8.10 Alternative Disc and Making Ghost Backup

    On 2008-11-06, whosbest54 wrote:
    > I've been running 8.04 on an old Dell Latitude C600 laptop without
    > problems. The machine spec is P3 850, 512 MB RAM and a 10 GB HDD. I
    > mainly use the machine with dialup when needing internet.
    >
    > Looking at upgrade options for 8.10, I really didn't want to try a
    > network upgrade over dialup. So, I was able to download the alternative
    > disc on another broadband machine.
    >
    > The regular posted instructions for starting the upgrade from the
    > alternative disc didn't work for me. There was no autorun that started
    > the upgrade process. The commands that I've seen posted on the web sites
    > didn't work. I had to run this command in terminal to make it work:
    >
    > gksu "sh '/media/Ubuntu 8.10 i386/cdromupgrade' "
    >
    > I wanted to have a backup of my full HDD before attempting the upgrade.
    > I had been blindly using Norton Ghost 8.2 to write a backup to an image
    > on a USB HDD with a PCMCIA USB2 adaptor (using a Panasonic DOS driver for
    > the adaptor on my Ghost boot disc), assuming it could be restored from
    > the image. I decided to test that and found I couldn't get a good
    > restore - GRUB worked but it appeared to restore as an ext2 partition
    > instead of ext3 or some other problem that corrupted the data and not
    > allow bootup. I'm not sure if Norton Ghost has been made completely
    > compatible with Ubuntu yet. Maybe other posters will know.

    It may have, but you are using a very old version. The current
    version of Ghost is 14.0.

    > I then tried Ghost for Linux (G4L) and got that to write an image to the
    > USB HDD without problems and restore successfully. It even supported my
    > PCMCIA USB2 adaptor without additional drivers. I restored to the same
    > size HDD. I haven't tried restoring to a different size drive. I assume
    > I would have to restore to a drive that is the same size or larger than
    > the source HDD. Maybe someone else knows this for sure. The menus in
    > G4L are a bit hard to follow and take some practice to learn - I like the
    > interface for Norton Ghost better.

    I have not played with G4L, but have used partimage, and I kind of
    like the interface, but I am not a big fan of flashy gui interfaces
    for this type of grunt work... ;-)

    I recently replaced the hard drive in this machine. Went from a 250G
    to a 750G. I decided not to resize partitions, as I wasn't running
    out of room on the 250 (also a 400 in the box for /home), but rather
    the plan was to move the data, then add new partitions as needed. Bad
    idea, as the drive already had 3 primaries and an extended with
    partitions in it. Took a bunch of moving/resizing/etc to be able to
    use the rest of the drive... ;-)

    My point? Plan everything carefully before you start any such move
    using an image. It can be very easy to paint yourself into a corner.
    And while it is possible to move everything to a smaller drive, the
    drive will have to be at least as big as the actual data. You can
    resize away free space. But with the price of HD's right now, I can't
    really see a reason for that (the 750G cost me about $70 + shipping).

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Upgrade from 8.10 Alternative Disc and Making Ghost Backup

    In article ,
    joe@no-spam.hits-nospam-buffalo.com says...

    >It may have, but you are using a very old version. The current
    >version of Ghost is 14.0.

    I subsequently tried v. 11 and that did the same thing, created an ext2
    partition when my primary Ubuntu partition was confirmed to be ext3. I don't
    have v. 14 and I don't know if that version has a disk utility to allow the
    creation of boot Ghost disks.

    BTW, the upgrade from the alternate CD didn't go well. Some programs were
    inexplicably lost, my attempt to get updates failed because it asked for a CD
    that didn't match the CD volume or mount point for any CDs and the machine
    took way to long to boot. I will try to find a way to hook up the laptop to a
    broadband connection for a network upgrade and see how that goes. With my
    backup, I can always revert back to 8.04 which was working fine.

    >My point? Plan everything carefully before you start any such move
    >using an image. It can be very easy to paint yourself into a corner.

    Always good advice.

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html