Hotmail in kubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hotmail in kubuntu - Ubuntu ; I wouldn't touch Hotmail with a barge pole, but my wife is a little less discerning with her email accounts and uses it for her personal email. Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer works ...

  1. Hotmail in kubuntu

    I wouldn't touch Hotmail with a barge pole, but my wife is a little
    less discerning with her email accounts and uses it for her personal
    email.

    Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    when writing a new email.

    Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    (Microsoft now charge for Pop3 access so that isn't an option.)

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    Toby Newman wrote:

    > I wouldn't touch Hotmail with a barge pole,

    [I second the motion.]

    > but my wife is a little less discerning with her email accounts and
    > uses it for her personal email.

    Aye, the same here. Even though I've set up an address at my own domain
    for her, my spouse continues to use browser-only hotmail for most
    emailing.

    > Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    > works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    > Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    > these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    > when writing a new email.

    A few weeks ago, she asked for some help. It seems a new
    browser-sniffing bit was added to the login process. Even though she is
    using the very latest SeaMonkey version, it tells her to 'upgrade' to
    Internet Explorer 6 or greater.

    There is a small barely-noticeable link on that page to 'proceed without
    upgrading' or similar. That works. Once past that, her hotmail screens
    seem to work as always. She's using Ubuntu 8.04 GNOME and as mentioned,
    the latest SeaMonkey version available in Synaptic.

    > Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    Does your wife have her own computer? Try SeaMonkey.

    > (Microsoft now charge for Pop3 access so that isn't an option.)

    Yes, I think even the legacy hotmail accounts can no longer use POP3.

    --
    -bts

  3. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:00:01 +0000, Toby Newman wrote:

    > Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    ies4linux

  4. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    "Toby Newman" wrote in message

    > Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    > works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    > Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    > these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    > when writing a new email.
    >
    > Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    I just tried my HotMail account in FireFox 3 on Ubuntu 8.04 - no problem
    with focus when writing a new mail.

    Similar with SeaMonkey 1.1.12, after bypassing the "Upgrade to a better
    browser" screen...

  5. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:00:01 +0000, Toby Newman wrote:

    > I wouldn't touch Hotmail with a barge pole, but my wife is a little less
    > discerning with her email accounts and uses it for her personal email.
    >
    > Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    > works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    > Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    > these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane when
    > writing a new email.
    >
    > Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?
    >
    > (Microsoft now charge for Pop3 access so that isn't an option.)

    The only thing I've been able to get to work is to use IE. It's fairly
    easy to install with ie4linux.

  6. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    Toby Newman wrote:

    > Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    > works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    > Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    > these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    > when writing a new email.
    >
    > Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).

    FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3 under
    Vista.
    Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under linux
    FF 3 it would not obtain focus.

  7. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    propman wrote:
    > Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    >> works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    >> Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    >> these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    >> when writing a new email.
    >>
    >> Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    > Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    > attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    > "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    >
    > FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3 under
    > Vista.
    > Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under linux
    > FF 3 it would not obtain focus.

    Update..........

    Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:

    Type in the URL bar: about:config

    Type in the Filter bar: vendor

    highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string

    right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"

    When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    able to enter new emails.

    Works here.......... :-)

  8. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:08:54 -0800, propman wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >> Toby Newman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    >>> works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    >>> Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    >>> these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    >>> when writing a new email.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    >> Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    >> attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    >> "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    >>
    >> FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3 under
    >> Vista.
    >> Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under linux
    >> FF 3 it would not obtain focus.
    >>

    > Update..........
    >
    > Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >
    > Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >
    > Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >
    > highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >
    > right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"
    >
    > When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    > able to enter new emails.
    >
    > Works here.......... :-)

    Thank you. That indeed seems to solve the issue.

  9. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:08:54 -0800, propman wrote:
    >
    >> propman wrote:
    >> Update..........
    >>
    >> Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >>
    >> Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >>
    >> Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >>
    >> highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >>
    >> right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"
    >>
    >> When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    >> able to enter new emails.
    >>
    >> Works here.......... :-)

    > Thank you. That indeed seems to solve the issue.

    Good to hear, Ray....thanks for letting me know. :-)

  10. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    propman schreef:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Toby Newman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    >>> works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    >>> Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    >>> these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    >>> when writing a new email.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    >> Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    >> attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    >> "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    >>
    >> FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3
    >> under Vista.
    >> Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under
    >> linux FF 3 it would not obtain focus.
    >>

    > Update..........
    >
    > Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >
    > Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >
    > Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >
    > highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >
    > right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"
    >
    > When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    > able to enter new emails.
    >
    > Works here.......... :-)

    Good point from you, sad but not unexpected point for Microsoft Hotmail.

  11. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    On 2008-11-06, propman wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Toby Newman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    >>> works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    >>> Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    >>> these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    >>> when writing a new email.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    >> Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    >> attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    >> "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    >>
    >> FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3 under
    >> Vista.
    >> Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under linux
    >> FF 3 it would not obtain focus.
    >>

    > Update..........
    >
    > Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >
    > Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >
    > Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >
    > highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >
    > right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"
    >
    > When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    > able to enter new emails.
    >
    > Works here.......... :-)

    That's a great fix, thanks!

    ....but, isn't it a bit disingenious of Microsoft to have blocked
    Ubuntu's Firefox?

    --
    -Toby

  12. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    propman wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Toby Newman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    >>> works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    >>> Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    >>> these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    >>> when writing a new email.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    >> Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    >> attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    >> "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    >>
    >> FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3
    >> under Vista.
    >> Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under
    >> linux FF 3 it would not obtain focus.
    >>

    > Update..........
    >
    > Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >
    > Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >
    > Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >
    > highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >
    > right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"
    >
    > When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    > able to enter new emails.
    >
    > Works here.......... :-)

    Great tip; thanks. And, no, this ain't for my wife... it's for me.

    Lang

  13. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    In article ,
    propman wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    > > Toby Newman wrote:
    > >
    > >> Microsoft have recently updated the hotmail web gui and it no longer
    > >> works for her. I've tried (in KDE3.5) Konqueror, Firefox 2 and Gran
    > >> Paradiso, and (in KDE4 on Intrepid) Konqueror and Firefox 3. None of
    > >> these allowed her to put the focus into the main message-entry pane
    > >> when writing a new email.
    > >>
    > >> Doesn anyone else use Hotmail and have a tip that could help me?

    > > Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    > > attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    > > "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    > >
    > > FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3 under
    > > Vista.
    > > Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under linux
    > > FF 3 it would not obtain focus.

    > Update..........
    >
    > Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >
    > Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >
    > Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >
    > highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >
    > right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"

    Excellent, thanks. My no-k Ubuntu was similarly modified. I wonder how
    many other "improvements" they've made that'll cause similar breakage.

    This message was created using recycled electrons.

  14. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    Hactar wrote:
    >> Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >>
    >> Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >>
    >> Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >>
    >> highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >>
    >> right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"

    > Excellent, thanks. My no-k Ubuntu was similarly modified. I wonder how
    > many other "improvements" they've made that'll cause similar breakage.

    Good to hear! :-) FWIW, I already sent (at least I thought I did but as
    of yet have yet to see it posted here) a reply mentioning that the
    Hotmail upgrade page actually recommends Firefox and has a direct link
    to their web site available.

    The actual "problem" with Firefox not being recognized by the hotmail
    logon process is due to each distro including their own name rather than
    the generalized "firefox" label in the "general.useragent.vendor" string.

    For example.........(k)Ubuntu has "Ubuntu" but the openSUSE Firefox
    release has "SUSE".

  15. Smile Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    I just felt obliged to join this forum to give a hearty "THANK YOU!" for that hotmail fix. I'm completely new to Linux and it's really nice to get one over on the likes of Microsoft by receiving free help from other users who know much much more than I. Nice one. Thanks again!

  16. Re: Hotmail in kubuntu

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:43:21 -0500, Lang wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    >> propman wrote:

    >>> Looks like a buglet at their end which should be called to their
    >>> attention due to the fact that one of the browsers referenced on their
    >>> "upgrade" page is Firefox (direct link to the Firefox site).
    >>>
    >>> FWIW.....I still get the "upgrade" page even when using Firefox 3
    >>> under Vista.
    >>> Vista FF 3 focus can be obtained in the message-entry pane; under
    >>> linux FF 3 it would not obtain focus.
    >>>

    >> Update..........
    >>
    >> Did a quick search and found a real simple fix:
    >>
    >> Type in the URL bar: about:config
    >>
    >> Type in the Filter bar: vendor
    >>
    >> highlight the "general.useragent.vendor" string
    >>
    >> right click --> Modify and then change "Ubuntu" to "Firefox"
    >>
    >> When logging onto Hotmail, FF should now skip the Upgrade page and be
    >> able to enter new emails.
    >>
    >> Works here.......... :-)
    >>

    > Great tip; thanks. And, no, this ain't for my wife... it's for me.
    >
    > Lang

    There is one other thing you can do. When you open Hotmail and see the
    FireFox download Icon You can click on The FireFox Icon and download that
    Linux version of FireFox 3.03 which is in a Tar.BZ file format. This
    version is a portable version of FireFox and the great thing about this
    version is you can put it anywhere, like a thumb drive. There is a
    firefox Icon in the root directory of the unTarred and unBZed file. This
    worked just fine for me until I found this post. I may keep this version
    since it keeps all my history and bookmarks on this thumb drive and is
    very portable. All I need is a computer with a USB port.

    This may not be a good Idea for most people but someone may like the idea
    of a portable FireFox browser.

    Remember: I am Klutzier than most.

+ Reply to Thread