Sound ! Can anyone explain please ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Sound ! Can anyone explain please ? - Ubuntu ; I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the sound has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top before any suitable sound is heard. I have just installed PCLinuxOS ...

  1. Sound ! Can anyone explain please ?

    I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the sound
    has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top before any
    suitable sound is heard.

    I have just installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and although the
    sound is not as good as when I had MS Windows on it, it is turned up to
    about 75%

    So the question is, why is the sound better on MS Windows and poor on any
    form of Linux ?

    James

  2. Re: Sound ! Can anyone explain please ?

    the_constructor wrote:
    > I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the
    > sound has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top
    > before any suitable sound is heard.
    >
    > I have just installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and although
    > the sound is not as good as when I had MS Windows on it, it is turned
    > up to about 75%
    >
    > So the question is, why is the sound better on MS Windows and poor on
    > any form of Linux ?

    For the example of optiplex, one goes to dell to find the hardware.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...specs.htm#audi
    o Technical Specifications: Dell OptiPlex GX150 System User's Guide --
    Audio controller Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec

    This is proprietary hardware with proprietary codecs which are not
    'simply' AC97 -- The AD1885 stereo CODEC is an integral part of SoundMAX
    v2.0 motherboard sound system. SoundMAX v2.0 consists of the AD1885 analog
    CODEC and companion Windows software drivers that take advantage of
    today's Intel® Pentium III and Celeron processors to implement audio
    synthesis and 3D effects processing. SoundMAX® v2.0, along with technology
    from partners Sensaura and Staccato Systems, delivers more realistic audio
    for Internet, voice recognition, and 3D gaming application to the complete
    spectrum of PCs.

    Way back in 2001, someone had this to say about linux not having access to
    the proprietary ware:

    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1277.3/ The hardware
    involved is Analog Devices' AD1885 Hardware CODEC (COder/DECoder), which
    is essentially a special purpose DSP (Digital Signal Processor). [...]
    Users of Linux/Unix or other alternative operating systems are out of
    luck, as, aside from standard AC'97 drivers, there are currently no
    SoundMAX-specific drivers available supporting non-Windows operating
    systems.

    Whatever may have been done about that since 2001, which was a very long
    time ago, you would have to do some of your own research for.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Sound ! Can anyone explain please ?

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:j8qdnTTJi6s4lY7UnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > the_constructor wrote:
    >> I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the
    >> sound has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top
    >> before any suitable sound is heard.
    >>
    >> I have just installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and although
    >> the sound is not as good as when I had MS Windows on it, it is turned
    >> up to about 75%
    >>
    >> So the question is, why is the sound better on MS Windows and poor on
    >> any form of Linux ?

    > For the example of optiplex, one goes to dell to find the hardware.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...specs.htm#audi
    > o Technical Specifications: Dell OptiPlex GX150 System User's Guide --
    > Audio controller Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec
    >
    > This is proprietary hardware with proprietary codecs which are not
    > 'simply' AC97 -- The AD1885 stereo CODEC is an integral part of SoundMAX
    > v2.0 motherboard sound system. SoundMAX v2.0 consists of the AD1885 analog
    > CODEC and companion Windows software drivers that take advantage of
    > today's Intel® Pentium III and Celeron processors to implement audio
    > synthesis and 3D effects processing. SoundMAX® v2.0, along with technology
    > from partners Sensaura and Staccato Systems, delivers more realistic audio
    > for Internet, voice recognition, and 3D gaming application to the complete
    > spectrum of PCs.
    >
    > Way back in 2001, someone had this to say about linux not having access to
    > the proprietary ware:
    >
    > http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1277.3/ The hardware
    > involved is Analog Devices' AD1885 Hardware CODEC (COder/DECoder), which
    > is essentially a special purpose DSP (Digital Signal Processor). [...]
    > Users of Linux/Unix or other alternative operating systems are out of
    > luck, as, aside from standard AC'97 drivers, there are currently no
    > SoundMAX-specific drivers available supporting non-Windows operating
    > systems.
    >
    > Whatever may have been done about that since 2001, which was a very long
    > time ago, you would have to do some of your own research for.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Mike,

    Thank you for that very excellent discription of the sound issues. I really
    learned something, today.

    Dick

  4. Re: Sound ! Can anyone explain please ?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > the_constructor wrote:
    >> I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the
    >> sound has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top
    >> before any suitable sound is heard.
    >>
    >> I have just installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and although
    >> the sound is not as good as when I had MS Windows on it, it is turned
    >> up to about 75%
    >>
    >> So the question is, why is the sound better on MS Windows and poor on
    >> any form of Linux ?

    > For the example of optiplex, one goes to dell to find the hardware.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...specs.htm#audi
    > o Technical Specifications: Dell OptiPlex GX150 System User's Guide --
    > Audio controller Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec
    >
    > This is proprietary hardware with proprietary codecs which are not
    > 'simply' AC97 -- The AD1885 stereo CODEC is an integral part of SoundMAX
    > v2.0 motherboard sound system. SoundMAX v2.0 consists of the AD1885 analog
    > CODEC and companion Windows software drivers that take advantage of
    > today's Intel® Pentium III and Celeron processors to implement audio
    > synthesis and 3D effects processing. SoundMAX® v2.0, along with technology
    > from partners Sensaura and Staccato Systems, delivers more realistic audio
    > for Internet, voice recognition, and 3D gaming application to the complete
    > spectrum of PCs.
    >
    > Way back in 2001, someone had this to say about linux not having access to
    > the proprietary ware:
    >
    > http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1277.3/ The hardware
    > involved is Analog Devices' AD1885 Hardware CODEC (COder/DECoder), which
    > is essentially a special purpose DSP (Digital Signal Processor). [...]
    > Users of Linux/Unix or other alternative operating systems are out of
    > luck, as, aside from standard AC'97 drivers, there are currently no
    > SoundMAX-specific drivers available supporting non-Windows operating
    > systems.
    >
    > Whatever may have been done about that since 2001, which was a very long
    > time ago, you would have to do some of your own research for.

    Great post, Mike. Thanks!

    Lang

  5. Re: Sound ! Can anyone explain please ?

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:j8qdnTTJi6s4lY7UnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > the_constructor wrote:
    >> I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the
    >> sound has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top
    >> before any suitable sound is heard.
    >>
    >> I have just installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and although
    >> the sound is not as good as when I had MS Windows on it, it is turned
    >> up to about 75%
    >>
    >> So the question is, why is the sound better on MS Windows and poor on
    >> any form of Linux ?

    > For the example of optiplex, one goes to dell to find the hardware.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...specs.htm#audi
    > o Technical Specifications: Dell OptiPlex GX150 System User's Guide --
    > Audio controller Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec
    >
    > This is proprietary hardware with proprietary codecs which are not
    > 'simply' AC97 -- The AD1885 stereo CODEC is an integral part of SoundMAX
    > v2.0 motherboard sound system. SoundMAX v2.0 consists of the AD1885 analog
    > CODEC and companion Windows software drivers that take advantage of
    > today's Intel® Pentium III and Celeron processors to implement audio
    > synthesis and 3D effects processing. SoundMAX® v2.0, along with technology
    > from partners Sensaura and Staccato Systems, delivers more realistic audio
    > for Internet, voice recognition, and 3D gaming application to the complete
    > spectrum of PCs.
    >
    > Way back in 2001, someone had this to say about linux not having access to
    > the proprietary ware:
    >
    > http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1277.3/ The hardware
    > involved is Analog Devices' AD1885 Hardware CODEC (COder/DECoder), which
    > is essentially a special purpose DSP (Digital Signal Processor). [...]
    > Users of Linux/Unix or other alternative operating systems are out of
    > luck, as, aside from standard AC'97 drivers, there are currently no
    > SoundMAX-specific drivers available supporting non-Windows operating
    > systems.
    >
    > Whatever may have been done about that since 2001, which was a very long
    > time ago, you would have to do some of your own research for.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I am sorry but I admit to being a bit of a thicky... Could you explain what
    all this means ?
    I have had low sound on virtually all the computers that I have put Ubuntu
    or other variants of Linux on.

    James

  6. Re: Sound ! Can anyone explain please ?

    the_constructor wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > news:j8qdnTTJi6s4lY7UnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    >> the_constructor wrote:
    >>> I have put Ubuntu on Desktops and laptops that I own and always the
    >>> sound has been very poor, as in volume has to be turned up to top
    >>> before any suitable sound is heard.
    >>>
    >>> I have just installed PCLinuxOS on a Dell Optiplex GX150 and although
    >>> the sound is not as good as when I had MS Windows on it, it is turned
    >>> up to about 75%
    >>>
    >>> So the question is, why is the sound better on MS Windows and poor on
    >>> any form of Linux ?

    >> For the example of optiplex, one goes to dell to find the hardware.
    >>
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...specs.htm#audi
    >> o Technical Specifications: Dell OptiPlex GX150 System User's Guide --
    >> Audio controller Analog Devices AD1885 AC97 Codec
    >>
    >> This is proprietary hardware with proprietary codecs which are not
    >> 'simply' AC97 -- The AD1885 stereo CODEC is an integral part of SoundMAX
    >> v2.0 motherboard sound system. SoundMAX v2.0 consists of the AD1885 analog
    >> CODEC and companion Windows software drivers that take advantage of
    >> today's Intel® Pentium III and Celeron processors to implement audio
    >> synthesis and 3D effects processing. SoundMAX® v2.0, along with technology
    >> from partners Sensaura and Staccato Systems, delivers more realistic audio
    >> for Internet, voice recognition, and 3D gaming application to the complete
    >> spectrum of PCs.
    >>
    >> Way back in 2001, someone had this to say about linux not having access to
    >> the proprietary ware:
    >>
    >> http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1277.3/ The hardware
    >> involved is Analog Devices' AD1885 Hardware CODEC (COder/DECoder), which
    >> is essentially a special purpose DSP (Digital Signal Processor). [...]
    >> Users of Linux/Unix or other alternative operating systems are out of
    >> luck, as, aside from standard AC'97 drivers, there are currently no
    >> SoundMAX-specific drivers available supporting non-Windows operating
    >> systems.
    >>
    >> Whatever may have been done about that since 2001, which was a very long
    >> time ago, you would have to do some of your own research for.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > I am sorry but I admit to being a bit of a thicky... Could you explain what
    > all this means ?
    > I have had low sound on virtually all the computers that I have put Ubuntu
    > or other variants of Linux on.

    Seems from the information that Mike provided, that due to the sound
    card being a "one of a kind" piece of hardware, the only sound drivers
    for it that were developed were for Dell/Windows systems....bottom line
    is, no linux drivers available.

    If you still have your system's documentation or can retrieve it from
    the Dell web site, you might find that there is provision for disabling
    the onboard soundcard.....if there is, you may be able to install a more
    conventional unit; again, consult the documentation on how to go about
    doing this.

    The following url has pointers to linux compatible hardware:

+ Reply to Thread