Updating Epiphany - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Updating Epiphany - Ubuntu ; Hi, I'm using the Epiphany browser on Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. I originally installed this by following the instructions here: http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/Downloads , specifically by opening Terminal and running the command sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser. This successfully installed Epiphany v2.22.2, which I've ...

  1. Updating Epiphany

    Hi,

    I'm using the Epiphany browser on Ubuntu 8.04 desktop.

    I originally installed this by following the instructions here:
    http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/Downloads, specifically by opening Terminal
    and running the command sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser.

    This successfully installed Epiphany v2.22.2, which I've been using for a
    while. However, according to the above web page, a later version (2.24) is
    now available.

    But, even though the Epiphany browser appears in Synaptic Package Manager,
    running Update Manager hasn't updated the installed version of Epiphany.

    Should it have? If it should, why hasn't it? What am I doing wrong?

    If it shouldn't, how can I do this manually? Should I even bother...?

    I should point out that I'm still a Ubuntu novice, but am learning and can
    follow instructions... :-)

    Any assistance gratefully received.

    Mark

  2. Re: Updating Epiphany

    On 2008-11-06, Mark Rae wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using the Epiphany browser on Ubuntu 8.04 desktop.
    >
    > I originally installed this by following the instructions here:
    > http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/Downloads, specifically by opening Terminal
    > and running the command sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser.
    >
    > This successfully installed Epiphany v2.22.2, which I've been using for a
    > while. However, according to the above web page, a later version (2.24) is
    > now available.
    >
    > But, even though the Epiphany browser appears in Synaptic Package Manager,
    > running Update Manager hasn't updated the installed version of Epiphany.
    >
    > Should it have? If it should, why hasn't it? What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > If it shouldn't, how can I do this manually? Should I even bother...?
    >
    > I should point out that I'm still a Ubuntu novice, but am learning and can
    > follow instructions... :-)
    >
    > Any assistance gratefully received.

    Ubuntu repositories will not have the latest and greatest version of
    software, in most cases. Software is not added to the repository
    until it has been tested and found to be stable and reliable.

    If you feel that you absolutely need the latest version, you'll need
    to manually download and install it.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Updating Epiphany

    "Joe" wrote in message

    >> how can I do this manually?

    > If you feel that you absolutely need the latest version, you'll need
    > to manually download and install it.

    I see. So if I want to know how to download it and install it manually, the
    answer is to manually download it and install it.

    Thanks for that...

  4. Re: Updating Epiphany

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >
    >>> how can I do this manually?

    >> If you feel that you absolutely need the latest version, you'll need
    >> to manually download and install it.

    > I see. So if I want to know how to download it and install it manually,
    > the answer is to manually download it and install it.
    >
    > Thanks for that...

    My reply is refering to your original query where you mentioned that the
    repositories did not contain the latest version.......

    Unless I am missing something on that web site download page, it would
    appear that if you want the newer version it's only available in source
    code format, which means a person has to compile it to obtain the binaries.

    So you would need to download this file
    Source: Epiphany 2.24.0.1

    You would have to also satify dependencies, which means the following
    would have to be already installed on your system or retrieved from the
    appropriate repository:

    Dependencies: GTK+ >= 2.14, glib 2.18, Mozilla Firefox 2.0 /
    XULRunner 1.8 with gtk2 support. (Firefox 3 / Gecko 1.9 should also work)

    You will also need software to compile the source with (gcc or g++,
    make,for example):

    Compiling and troubleshooting any burps encountered along the way can be
    quite involved.....which is why I suspect that most rascals just sit
    tight until the newer binary versions get placed into the repositories! :-)

  5. Re: Updating Epiphany

    On 2008-11-07, Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >
    >>> how can I do this manually?

    >> If you feel that you absolutely need the latest version, you'll need
    >> to manually download and install it.

    > I see. So if I want to know how to download it and install it manually, the
    > answer is to manually download it and install it.
    >
    > Thanks for that...

    Now THERE'S the attitude that'll get you good help.

    I answered the question about the repos because I don't use Epiphany,
    and thus don't give a rat's ass about installing it manually. Not
    sure why you would expect me to do your research for you...

    Just took a look at Synaptic, and Epiphany 2.24.1 is in the Universe
    repository on Hardy. I don't have your original message here anymore,
    but if you are running Hardy or later, you should be able to get the
    update by having the Universe repo enabled in your sources for
    Synaptic. If that don't work for you, maybe someone else will be
    willing to help you. I'm not installing it here just to help out some
    whiney-assed punk on usenet...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  6. Re: Updating Epiphany

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > Should I even bother...?

    No.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: Updating Epiphany

    "Joe" wrote in message

    >>> If you feel that you absolutely need the latest version, you'll need
    >>> to manually download and install it.

    >> I see. So if I want to know how to download it and install it manually,
    >> the
    >> answer is to manually download it and install it.
    >>
    >> Thanks for that...

    > Now THERE'S the attitude that'll get you good help.
    >
    > I answered the question about the repos because I don't use Epiphany,
    > and thus don't give a rat's ass about installing it manually. Not
    > sure why you would expect me to do your research for you...
    >
    > Just took a look at Synaptic, and Epiphany 2.24.1 is in the Universe
    > repository on Hardy. I don't have your original message here anymore,
    > but if you are running Hardy or later, you should be able to get the
    > update by having the Universe repo enabled in your sources for
    > Synaptic. If that don't work for you, maybe someone else will be
    > willing to help you. I'm not installing it here just to help out some
    > whiney-assed punk on usenet...

    Thanks very much.

  8. Re: Updating Epiphany

    "propman" wrote in message

    > Compiling and troubleshooting any burps encountered along the way can be
    > quite involved.....which is why I suspect that most rascals just sit
    > tight until the newer binary versions get placed into the repositories!
    > :-)

    Thanks very much.

  9. Re: Updating Epiphany

    "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message

    >> Should I even bother...?

    > No.

    Fair enough.

  10. Re: Updating Epiphany

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > Fair enough.

    More to the point, why do you _believe_ you need the absolutely newest
    Epiphany? What's lacking in Epiphany with your native GNOME 2.22?

    Secondly, why not just use the latest firefox?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: Updating Epiphany

    >> Fair enough.

    > More to the point, why do you _believe_ you need the absolutely newest
    > Epiphany?

    I don't, necessarily - was just asking the questions...

    > What's lacking in Epiphany with your native GNOME 2.22?

    Nothing that I know of...

    > Secondly, why not just use the latest FireFox?

    I do.

+ Reply to Thread