WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10? - Ubuntu ; In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now included? ...

  1. WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    included?

    *TimDaniels*

  2. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    Timothy Daniels schreef:
    > In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    > Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    > Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    > included?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I have used WPA2 with 7.10 and 8.04 but I had to install wicd as network
    manager to get it going.

  3. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    > Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    > Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    > included?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Is WPA2 available and usable on your LiveCD copy of Ubuntu 8.10?

    --
    John

  4. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 08:23:36 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >Timothy Daniels schreef:
    >> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    >> Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    >> Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    >> included?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>

    >I have used WPA2 with 7.10 and 8.04 but I had to install wicd as network
    >manager to get it going.

    I tried wicd and still couldn't get wep or wap working. I gave up and
    reverted to ubuntu 8.0.4.

  5. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    "John F. Morse" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    >> Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    >> Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    >> included?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Is WPA2 available and usable on your LiveCD copy of Ubuntu 8.10?

    I don't have the LiveCD. I posted the question because I'm
    severely time-constrained. I'd transition to 8.10 if I could get WPA2
    encryption or if Bluetooth connections could be made without resorting
    to "sudo hidd --server --search" on the command line terminal.
    But otherwise, if it ain't broke, I won't fix it.

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels schreef:
    >> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    >> Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    >> Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    >> included?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > I have used WPA2 with 7.10 and 8.04 but I had to install wicd as network
    > manager to get it going.

    That you were able to get WPA2 is encouraging.
    Were there any special "tweaks" necessary for you to successfully install
    and setup wicd?

    *TimDaniels*

  7. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    Timothy Daniels schreef:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels schreef:
    >>> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    >>> Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    >>> Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    >>> included?
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> I have used WPA2 with 7.10 and 8.04 but I had to install wicd as network
    >> manager to get it going.

    > That you were able to get WPA2 is encouraging.
    > Were there any special "tweaks" necessary for you to successfully install
    > and setup wicd?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    No, I first tried with the standard network manager of Kubuntu, I could
    get a connection but it was never stable.

    After a tip in this group I installed wicd and am very happy.

    I do have wpasupplicant installed but I think it's part of the standard
    install, could be wrong.

    wicd uses by default wext as wpa supplicant for the build in Intel
    Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965.

    madwifi is used on a high power Ubiquity pmcia card I have .

  8. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    > Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    > Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    > included?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Well I've posted this from a laptop with a Broadcom chipset connected to
    a Netgear router using WPA2 - AES.

    So, yeah it works.

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams

  9. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    "Conor" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    >> Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    >> Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    >> included?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Well I've posted this from a laptop with a Broadcom chipset connected to a
    > Netgear router using WPA2 - AES.
    >
    > So, yeah it works.
    >
    > --
    > Conor

    I'm glad to hear you have success using a Broadcom chipset, as my
    laptop has a Broadcom wireless chipset also.
    Is your laptop running Ubuntu 8.10, and did you have to use wicd to
    get WPA2-AES to work?

    *TimDaniels*

  10. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    On 2008-11-06, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "John F. Morse" wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista, and
    >>> Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to connect to
    >>> Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10, or is WPA2 now
    >>> included?
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> Is WPA2 available and usable on your LiveCD copy of Ubuntu 8.10?

    > I don't have the LiveCD. I posted the question because I'm
    > severely time-constrained. I'd transition to 8.10 if I could get WPA2
    > encryption or if Bluetooth connections could be made without resorting
    > to "sudo hidd --server --search" on the command line terminal.
    > But otherwise, if it ain't broke, I won't fix it.

    For bluetooth, try blueman. It does a MUCH better job of utilizing
    bluetooth devices from a gui. I had a bitch of a time getting
    bluetooth headphones working on Gutsy using the standard bluetooth
    utilities. When I installed blueman, they were up and running in
    minutes.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  11. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    "Joe" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Is WPA2 available and usable on your LiveCD copy of Ubuntu 8.10?

    >> I don't have the LiveCD. I posted the question because I'm
    >> severely time-constrained. I'd transition to 8.10 if I could get WPA2
    >> encryption or if Bluetooth connections could be made without resorting
    >> to "sudo hidd --server --search" on the command line terminal.
    >> But otherwise, if it ain't broke, I won't fix it.

    > For bluetooth, try blueman. It does a MUCH better job of utilizing
    > bluetooth devices from a gui. I had a bitch of a time getting
    > bluetooth headphones working on Gutsy using the standard bluetooth
    > utilities. When I installed blueman, they were up and running in
    > minutes.

    Thanks for the tip.

    *TimDaniels*

  12. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > I'm glad to hear you have success using a Broadcom chipset, as my
    > laptop has a Broadcom wireless chipset also.
    > Is your laptop running Ubuntu 8.10, and did you have to use wicd to
    > get WPA2-AES to work?

    Running 8.10 and the default installed network-manager. No wicd here.
    They've really sorted it. I plugged in my "3" USB dongle. It recognised
    it and went off to get the drivers. It then ran a configuration wizard
    and asked for the country I was in and then what mobile network. Compare
    that to previous efforts which involved using an app someone wrote for
    Vodafone and also having to disable USB automount.

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams

  13. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    "Conor" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> I'm glad to hear you have success using a Broadcom chipset, as my
    >> laptop has a Broadcom wireless chipset also.
    >> Is your laptop running Ubuntu 8.10, and did you have to use wicd to
    >> get WPA2-AES to work?
    >>

    > Running 8.10 and the default installed network-manager. No wicd here. They've
    > really sorted it. I plugged in my "3" USB dongle. It recognised it and went
    > off to get the drivers. It then ran a configuration wizard and asked for the
    > country I was in and then what mobile network. Compare that to previous
    > efforts which involved using an app someone wrote for Vodafone and also having
    > to disable USB automount.

    That sounds good. I live in a densely populated apartment/condo area,
    and I'm a little uneasy with just WPA. I've read good things about wicd,
    but I like to keep my installations as default and generic as possible.

    *TimDaniels*

  14. Re: WPA2 wireless encryption in Ubuntu 8.10?

    TD> In setting up my wireless router to connect with WinXP, Vista,
    TD> and Ubuntu 7.10, I had to use WPA (not WPA2) in order to
    TD> connect to Ubuntu. Is this still the case with Ubuntu 8.10,
    TD> or is WPA2 now included?

    I just installed XUbuntu 8.10 on an old Compaq Presario (clean
    install, no dual boot) with a TP-Link cardbus wireless (atheros
    chipset). Now using WPA2 with the default network manager, but flakey:
    the password field is always replaced with a long string that might be
    the passkey or who knows what. There are a couple of threads about it
    on the ubuntu forums I'll pursue.

    --
    Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really
    easy way; stop participating in it.

+ Reply to Thread