update question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on update question - Ubuntu ; I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to be available for 8.10. Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: update question

  1. update question

    I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to be
    available for 8.10.

    Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own install?



    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  2. Re: update question

    franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    > I have 8.04 installed.


    Vanilla 8.04 or LTS 8.04?

    > The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    > updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to
    > be available for 8.10.


    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading By default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS will
    not offer a upgrade to 8.10. This is because the 8.04 LTS version is a
    long term support release and 8.10 is a regular release.

    > Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    > install?


    From above link "You can easily upgrade over the network with the
    following procedure."



    --
    Mike Easter


  3. Re: update question

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >> I have 8.04 installed.

    >
    > Vanilla 8.04 or LTS 8.04?


    There are two versions???

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  4. Re: update question

    franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    > updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to be
    > available for 8.10.
    >
    > Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own install?


    You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)

    The command to do this is
    $ gksudo update-manager -d

    NOTE: If you have any third party repositories set up in your sources
    list, I would suggest removing them prior to updating to 8.10
    System -> Administration -> Software Sources

    --
    "At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and
    charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the
    antidote." ~ Emo Philips

  5. Re: update question

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> I have 8.04 installed.
    >>

    >
    > Vanilla 8.04 or LTS 8.04?



    Vanilla?

    I use 8.04 LTS -- Love Those Strawberries.

    Where can I obtain vanilla (or chocolate)?

    Should Ubuntu be kept in the freezer?


    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  6. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 06:38:04 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to
    >> be available for 8.10.
    >>
    >> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    >> install?

    >
    > You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new distributions
    > (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >
    > The command to do this is
    > $ gksudo update-manager -d
    >
    > NOTE: If you have any third party repositories set up in your sources
    > list, I would suggest removing them prior to updating to 8.10 System ->
    > Administration -> Software Sources




    This did not work for me. All that happened is a message saying my
    system is up to date. I have been installing 8.04 system/software
    updates all along.

    In previous editions, I'd invoke the update manager and there'd be a
    message across the top indicating a new distro ready to install.

    This did not happen this time.

    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  7. Re: update question

    Moog wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to be
    >> available for 8.10.
    >>
    >> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own install?

    >
    > You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    > distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >
    > The command to do this is
    > $ gksudo update-manager -d


    That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    you need
    gksudo update-manager -c



    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:18:00 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >>> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to
    >>> be available for 8.10.
    >>>
    >>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    >>> install?

    >>
    >> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >>
    >> The command to do this is
    >> $ gksudo update-manager -d

    >
    > That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    > you need
    > gksudo update-manager -c
    >
    >
    >
    > Florian



    Tried this
    "c" is invalid option
    according to results


    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  9. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:26:06 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:18:00 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >>>> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to
    >>>> be available for 8.10.
    >>>>
    >>>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    >>>> install?
    >>>
    >>> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >>> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >>>
    >>> The command to do this is
    >>> $ gksudo update-manager -d

    >>
    >> That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    >> you need
    >> gksudo update-manager -c
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Florian

    >
    >
    > Tried this
    > "c" is invalid option
    > according to results



    System->Administration->Update Manager->Updates Tab->Release
    Upgrade->Normal releases


  10. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:12:54 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:26:06 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:18:00 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >>
    >>> Moog wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >>>>> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same
    >>>>> to be available for 8.10.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    >>>>> install?
    >>>>
    >>>> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >>>> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >>>>
    >>>> The command to do this is
    >>>> $ gksudo update-manager -d
    >>>
    >>> That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    >>> you need
    >>> gksudo update-manager -c
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Florian

    >>
    >>
    >> Tried this
    >> "c" is invalid option
    >> according to results

    >
    >
    > System->Administration->Update Manager->Updates Tab->Release
    > Upgrade->Normal releases


    I can get the update manager running but do not see

    Updates Tab->Release
    Upgrade->Normal releases



    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  11. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:17:39 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:12:54 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:26:06 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:18:00 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Moog wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >>>>>> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same
    >>>>>> to be available for 8.10.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    >>>>>> install?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >>>>> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The command to do this is
    >>>>> $ gksudo update-manager -d
    >>>>
    >>>> That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    >>>> you need
    >>>> gksudo update-manager -c
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Florian
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Tried this
    >>> "c" is invalid option
    >>> according to results

    >>
    >>
    >> System->Administration->Update Manager->Updates Tab->Release
    >> Upgrade->Normal releases

    >
    > I can get the update manager running but do not see
    >
    > Updates Tab->Release
    > Upgrade->Normal releases


    Sorry, it should be System->Admin->Software Sources.


  12. Re: update question

    franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > This did not work for me. All that happened is a message saying my
    > system is up to date. I have been installing 8.04 system/software
    > updates all along.
    >
    > In previous editions, I'd invoke the update manager and there'd be a
    > message across the top indicating a new distro ready to install.
    >
    > This did not happen this time.


    Strange, you didn't include the -d switch didn't you?

    Update Manager should then open and give you the option of updating to
    the next distribution.

    --
    "Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder
    a loved one because they're the devil." ~ Emo Philips

  13. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:32:32 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:17:39 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:12:54 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:26:06 +0000, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:18:00 +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Moog wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>>>>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed
    >>>>>>> as updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the
    >>>>>>> same to be available for 8.10.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own
    >>>>>>> install?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >>>>>> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent
    >>>>>> releases)
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> The command to do this is
    >>>>>> $ gksudo update-manager -d
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That checks if there's a new development release. For stable
    >>>>> releases you need
    >>>>> gksudo update-manager -c
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Florian
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Tried this
    >>>> "c" is invalid option
    >>>> according to results
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> System->Administration->Update Manager->Updates Tab->Release
    >>> Upgrade->Normal releases

    >>
    >> I can get the update manager running but do not see
    >>
    >> Updates Tab->Release
    >> Upgrade->Normal releases

    >
    > Sorry, it should be System->Admin->Software Sources.


    got it. thanks.



    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  14. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:33:29 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> This did not work for me. All that happened is a message saying my
    >> system is up to date. I have been installing 8.04 system/software
    >> updates all along.
    >>
    >> In previous editions, I'd invoke the update manager and there'd be a
    >> message across the top indicating a new distro ready to install.
    >>
    >> This did not happen this time.

    >
    > Strange, you didn't include the -d switch didn't you?
    >
    > Update Manager should then open and give you the option of updating to
    > the next distribution.




    thanks. got it figured out.

    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  15. Re: update question

    Florian Diesch illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >>> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to be
    >>> available for 8.10.
    >>>
    >>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own install?

    >>
    >> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >>
    >> The command to do this is
    >> $ gksudo update-manager -d

    >
    > That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    > you need
    > gksudo update-manager -c


    Sorry. gksudo does not handle the -c switch.

    Also, the -c switch does nothing at all in 8.04.1's update manager

    I refer the gentleman back to

    $ gksudo update-manager -d

    HTH

    --
    "New York's such a wonderful city. Although I was at the library today.
    The guys are very rude. I said, "I'd like a card." He says, "You have
    to prove you're a citizen of New York." So I stabbed him." ~ Emo Philips

  16. Re: update question

    franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > thanks. got it figured out.


    No problem Franz. Good luck with the upgrade.

    --
    "So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local
    swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'" ~ Tim
    Vine

  17. Re: update question

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> franz fripplfrappl wrote:
    >>> I have 8.04 installed.

    >>
    >> Vanilla 8.04 or LTS 8.04?

    >
    > There are two versions???


    No. I expressed that badly by misinterpreting something I read at the
    link I posted.

    Because 8.04 is LTS, the default update configuration graphical tool is
    set to 'Show new distribution releases - Long term support releases only'.
    See illustration from ubuntu upgrade help screenshot
    http://snipr.com/566hj

    As a result, 8.04 LTS won't 'invite' the update (to a non-LHS version
    8.10). However, if you change the menu, it will.

    --
    Mike Easter


  18. Re: update question

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:45:45 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> thanks. got it figured out.

    >
    > No problem Franz. Good luck with the upgrade.


    As always, you have been a great source of help and encouragement.
    Thanks, coach!



    --

    =================================================
    Franz Fripplfrappl

  19. Re: update question

    Moog wrote:

    > Florian Diesch illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> franz fripplfrappl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>> I have 8.04 installed. The last few versions of Ubuntu installed as
    >>>> updates through the update manager. I've been waiting for the same to be
    >>>> available for 8.10.
    >>>>
    >>>> Will this happen or am I better off burning a CD and doing my own install?
    >>>
    >>> You need to explicitly tell update manager to look for new
    >>> distributions (AFAIK, this has been the case in all recent releases)
    >>>
    >>> The command to do this is
    >>> $ gksudo update-manager -d

    >>
    >> That checks if there's a new development release. For stable releases
    >> you need
    >> gksudo update-manager -c

    >
    > Sorry. gksudo does not handle the -c switch.


    Sorry, it actually has to be
    gksudo -- update-manager -c
    to prevent gksudo from trying to handle the switch.


    > Also, the -c switch does nothing at all in 8.04.1's update manager


    -c, --check-dist-upgrades
    Check if a new distribution release is available
    -d, --devel-release Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is
    possible

    update-manager: version 0.87.30

    > I refer the gentleman back to
    >
    > $ gksudo update-manager -d


    Here gksudo is started with the -d switch ("show debugging
    information") and calls update-manager without any option.



    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread