boot Ubuntu using boot.ini - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on boot Ubuntu using boot.ini - Ubuntu ; Hello, I had installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 LTS on a NTFS partion and loaded it using wubi.exe. After playing around wanted a real Linux installation. I reinstalled Ubuntu using a etx3 partition and a want to boot it using the Windows ...

  1. boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    Hello,

    I had installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 LTS on a NTFS partion and loaded it
    using wubi.exe. After playing around wanted a real Linux installation.
    I reinstalled Ubuntu using a etx3 partition and a want to boot it using
    the Windows boot manager (configured with boot.ini).

    No, I dont want GRUB to become the primary boot manager. But here is my
    configuration:

    /deb/sda1 holds the windows system. I have free space at /deb/sdb. I
    installed the root file system at /dev/sdb2 and the swap partition at
    /dev/sdb3. There is a further partition at /dev/sdb5 with an NTFS file
    system, but this shouldnt care. I installed the boot loader GRUB at
    /dev/sdb2 (the partition with the root file system).

    Since I want to use Windows boot.ini style boot I copied the boot
    sector as described in this article
    http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/docs/tk...398/t0398.html

    Similar article in english:
    http://www.matthewjmiller.net/howtos...x-and-windows/

    I copied the GRUB with

    dd if=/deb/sbd2 of=rootsect.lin bs=512 count=1

    to a file rootsect.lin, placed that file in the Windows XP root
    directory and added to the boot.ini:

    C:\rootsect.lin="Ubuntu"

    Now I get the boot menu containing "Ubuntu". When I start this entry I
    see a blank screen with the word GRUB. Nothing else happens.

    What's wrong with the procedure? I attach the file rootsect.lin for
    verification purposes.

    Regards,
    Helge

  2. Re: boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    Helge Kruse wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I had installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 LTS on a NTFS partion and loaded it using
    > wubi.exe. After playing around wanted a real Linux installation. I
    > reinstalled Ubuntu using a etx3 partition and a want to boot it using
    > the Windows boot manager (configured with boot.ini).
    >
    > No, I dont want GRUB to become the primary boot manager. But here is my
    > configuration:
    >
    > /deb/sda1 holds the windows system. I have free space at /deb/sdb. I
    > installed the root file system at /dev/sdb2 and the swap partition at
    > /dev/sdb3. There is a further partition at /dev/sdb5 with an NTFS file
    > system, but this shouldnt care. I installed the boot loader GRUB at
    > /dev/sdb2 (the partition with the root file system).
    >
    > Since I want to use Windows boot.ini style boot I copied the boot sector
    > as described in this article
    > http://www.fz-juelich.de/jsc/docs/tk...398/t0398.html
    >
    > Similar article in english:
    > http://www.matthewjmiller.net/howtos...x-and-windows/
    >
    > I copied the GRUB with
    >
    > dd if=/deb/sbd2 of=rootsect.lin bs=512 count=1
    >
    > to a file rootsect.lin, placed that file in the Windows XP root
    > directory and added to the boot.ini:
    >
    > C:\rootsect.lin="Ubuntu"
    >
    > Now I get the boot menu containing "Ubuntu". When I start this entry I
    > see a blank screen with the word GRUB. Nothing else happens.

    No error messages?
    No "loading grub 1.5" appearing on screen?

    Is the linux partition flagged bootable?

    Might also want to post your the contents of your Grub menu.lst file to
    this newsgroup.

    > What's wrong with the procedure? I attach the file rootsect.lin for
    > verification purposes.

    .....participants are not supposed to send attached files into this
    non-binary newsgroup. :-) If you decide to post your menu.lst file,
    post it inline (ie copy and paste) rather than as an attachment.

  3. Re: boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    Helge Kruse wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I had installed Ubuntu 8.04.01 LTS on a NTFS partion and loaded it using
    > wubi.exe. After playing around wanted a real Linux installation. I
    > reinstalled Ubuntu using a etx3 partition and a want to boot it using
    > the Windows boot manager (configured with boot.ini).
    >
    > No, I dont want GRUB to become the primary boot manager.

    A "real Linux installation" would use grub. You can always restore the
    Windows bootloader if you ever want to blow away your Linux install.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    Helge Kruse wrote:

    > "propman" wrote in message
    >
    >> No error messages?
    >> No "loading grub 1.5" appearing on screen?

    > Indeed: > see a blank screen with the word GRUB. Nothing else happens.
    >
    >> Is the linux partition flagged bootable?

    > I will have to check this. But I assumed the Ubuntu installer would
    > mark it bootable, when I install GRUB there.
    >

    >> Might also want to post your the contents of your Grub menu.lst file
    >> to this newsgroup.

    > Sure I want. I think I jus have to boot the linux system before. Where
    > should I look for the file when I have booted the live CD?
    >
    >> ....participants are not supposed to send attached files into this
    >> non-binary newsgroup. :-) If you decide to post your menu.lst file,
    >> post it inline (ie copy and paste) rather than as an attachment.

    > Hmm, yeah. I though this 512 byte small file takes less space than my
    > text and gives better possibility to analyse any problem. I remember
    > that there are programs like rdev to analyse these files.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Helge

    You might have a better chance on receiving pertinent information if you
    asked in some Windows newsgroup.

    Linux uses GRUB or LILO, and these loaders are not restricted to just
    Ubuntu.

    Posting such a question here certainly narrows your chances of finding
    someone who understands the idiosyncrasies of Windows enough to help you.

    --
    John

  5. Re: boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 06:08:07 +0100, Helge Kruse wrote:

    > "propman" wrote in message
    >
    >> No error messages?
    >> No "loading grub 1.5" appearing on screen?

    > Indeed: > see a blank screen with the word GRUB. Nothing else happens.

    forgot to mention in the other reply.....you might want to check out
    Supergrub.

    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

  6. Re: boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    Am Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:19:31 +0000 schrieb propman:

    > you should find it in the /boot/grub folder on your hard drive. You may
    > have to manually mount the hard drive (can't recall off-hand whether
    > hard drives are automatically mounted with the LiveCD boot)

    Thanks for reply.

    I booted the live system to retrieve this information. I found this:
    | ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo -i
    | root@ubuntu:~# mkdir /mnt/rootfs
    | root@ubuntu:~# ls /dev/sd*
    | /dev/sda /dev/sda2 /dev/sda6 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
    | /dev/sda1 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
    | root@ubuntu:~# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/rootfs/
    | root@ubuntu:~# ls -l /mnt/rootfs/boot/grub/
    | insgesamt 196
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 197 2008-11-05 20:49 default
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30 2008-11-05 20:49 device.map
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8056 2008-11-05 20:49 e2fs_stage1_5
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7904 2008-11-05 20:49 fat_stage1_5
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16 2008-11-05 20:49 installed-version
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8608 2008-11-05 20:49 jfs_stage1_5
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4571 2008-11-05 20:49 menu.lst
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7324 2008-11-05 20:49 minix_stage1_5
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9632 2008-11-05 20:49 reiserfs_stage1_5
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 2008-11-05 20:49 stage1
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 108356 2008-11-05 20:49 stage2
    | -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9276 2008-11-05 20:49 xfs_stage1_5
    | root@ubuntu:~#

    Surprise: Despite the fact, that the Ubuntu installer showed me the first
    harddrive with the single Windows XP partition as /dev/sda1 I find it now
    as /dev/sdb1. The former /dev/sdb* partitions are shown as /dev/sda*.
    Let's look inside menu.lst:

    | root@ubunto:~# cat /mnt/rootfs/boot/grub/menu.lst | grep -v '#'
    | default 0
    | timeout 10
    |
    | title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    | root (hd1,1)
    | kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic \
    root=UUID=f3214ac4-f138-4d5a-9c0a-117c09a9bb81 ro quiet splash
    | initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    | quiet
    |
    | title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
    | root (hd1,1)
    | kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic \
    root=UUID=f3214ac4-f138-4d5a-9c0a-117c09a9bb81 ro single
    | initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    |
    | title Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+
    | root (hd1,1)
    | kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    | quiet
    |
    | title Other operating systems:
    | root
    |
    | title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    | root (hd0,0)
    | savedefault
    | chainloader +1

    I must admit, that I edited the output. The "| " is added manually to
    show the file contents. The \ is added manually to show what's in one
    line.

    I dont know, why the hard drives /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are swapped, you
    can treat the menu.lst content as an evidence that the Ubuntu installer
    show me another drive association.

    But I would try to swap hd0 and hd1 in the menu.lst file and run grub
    manually to install it somewhere again.

    1) How do I run grub to generate a boot sector at any location and savely
    avoid touching any of the Windows Partitions? The file resides as
    /mnt/rootfs/boot/grub/menu.lst

    2) How do I specify to write the boot sector in a file instead of any MBR
    or boot sector? I will need it in a file for boot.in anyway.

    Regards,
    Helge

  7. Re: boot Ubuntu using boot.ini

    "propman" wrote in message

    > No error messages?
    > No "loading grub 1.5" appearing on screen?

    Indeed: > see a blank screen with the word GRUB. Nothing else happens.

    > Is the linux partition flagged bootable?

    I will have to check this. But I assumed the Ubuntu installer would
    mark it bootable, when I install GRUB there.

    > Might also want to post your the contents of your Grub menu.lst file
    > to this newsgroup.

    Sure I want. I think I jus have to boot the linux system before. Where
    should I look for the file when I have booted the live CD?

    > ....participants are not supposed to send attached files into this
    > non-binary newsgroup. :-) If you decide to post your menu.lst file,
    > post it inline (ie copy and paste) rather than as an attachment.

    Hmm, yeah. I though this 512 byte small file takes less space than my
    text and gives better possibility to analyse any problem. I remember
    that there are programs like rdev to analyse these files.

    Regards,
    Helge

+ Reply to Thread