KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station... - Ubuntu ; Installed 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620. When it boots while attached to KVM through a docking station, no mouse or kybd response. Got a Dell GX240 (desktop) hooked up to same KVM and no problems. The KVM uses PS2 ...

  1. KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station...

    Installed 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620. When it boots while attached to
    KVM through a docking station, no mouse or kybd response. Got a Dell
    GX240 (desktop) hooked up to same KVM and no problems.

    The KVM uses PS2 connectors. Since the docking station is just a pass
    through, and the GX240 works in the same situation, I'm at a loss as to
    figuring out what the root cause of the disconnect with the D620 is.

    Must assume it's the docking station as if I disconnect from docking
    station, I get control of mouse/kybd. Unfortunately, the laptop does not
    have PS/2 ports, so I cannot try the KVM connected directly to the
    laptop. (Need PS/2 ports to support legacy hw.)

    Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had
    experienced the same and has any recommendations. (Other than to lose
    the legacy hw support and move to USB KVM... thanks, but no can do right
    now.)

    Thanks,

    Lang

  2. Re: KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station...

    Lang wrote:

    > Installed 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620. When it boots while attached to
    > KVM through a docking station, no mouse or kybd response. Got a Dell
    > GX240 (desktop) hooked up to same KVM and no problems.
    >
    > The KVM uses PS2 connectors. Since the docking station is just a pass
    > through, and the GX240 works in the same situation, I'm at a loss as to
    > figuring out what the root cause of the disconnect with the D620 is.
    >
    > Must assume it's the docking station as if I disconnect from docking
    > station, I get control of mouse/kybd. Unfortunately, the laptop does not
    > have PS/2 ports, so I cannot try the KVM connected directly to the
    > laptop. (Need PS/2 ports to support legacy hw.)
    >
    > Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had
    > experienced the same and has any recommendations. (Other than to lose
    > the legacy hw support and move to USB KVM... thanks, but no can do right
    > now.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lang

    FWIW - I too recently got a new desktop and it only had USB kb/mouse.
    Wouldn't work with my trusty KVM which had PS/2 ports. Even with
    appropriate adapter(s).

    I contacted the mfg who stated I needed a new "intelligent" KVM but it was
    cheaper to scrap the new desktop and replace it with one that had PS/2
    still.

    I know that Startech has one that will work with both. Good luck.

  3. Re: KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station...

    Lang wrote:
    > Installed 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620. When it boots while attached
    > to KVM through a docking station, no mouse or kybd response. Got a
    > Dell GX240 (desktop) hooked up to same KVM and no problems.
    >
    > The KVM uses PS2 connectors. Since the docking station is just a pass
    > through, and the GX240 works in the same situation, I'm at a loss as
    > to figuring out what the root cause of the disconnect with the D620 is.
    >
    > Must assume it's the docking station as if I disconnect from docking
    > station, I get control of mouse/kybd. Unfortunately, the laptop does
    > not have PS/2 ports, so I cannot try the KVM connected directly to the
    > laptop. (Need PS/2 ports to support legacy hw.)
    >
    > Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had
    > experienced the same and has any recommendations. (Other than to lose
    > the legacy hw support and move to USB KVM... thanks, but no can do
    > right now.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Lang

    Many cheaper KVMs do not retain the specifics for the keyboard, mouse
    and even monitor. Even the better ones require an external power supply
    for their memory. Since that info is "not there" when Linux boots, it
    can't find the required device information to choose a configuration
    (driver) to make it work.

    Keyboards are pretty standard, but mice protocols and even their wiring
    vary. Converters to/from PS/2 to AT work good for keyboards, but for
    mice, PS/2 to/from serial is a big gamble, and usually a losing one. I
    do use one wireless optical mouse receiver with USB through a
    USB-to-PS/2 for one PS/2 KVM, and have no trouble with it.

    I have similar KVM problems with some distros but not every distro, when
    using KVM switches, especially the 4-port KVM in the basement
    laboratory. Always with the mice and never the keyboards. One solution
    for a stubborn PC is to leave a mouse connected and not use the "main"
    one on the KVM. Often a mouse is not required anyway.

    It is safe to hot-plug a PS/2 mouse (or keyboard) when using a KVM.
    After the PC is booted and ready, try pulling the K or M plugs and
    reinserting them and see if the device(s) are rescanned and then recognized.

    Actually, despite the warnings, I frequently hot-plug PS/2 mice and
    keyboards when the PC is powered, as well as monitors. If you try this
    and see smoke, forget I said it! ;-)

    --
    John

  4. Re: KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station...

    Bob M wrote:
    > Lang wrote:
    >
    >> Installed 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620. When it boots while attached to
    >> KVM through a docking station, no mouse or kybd response. Got a Dell
    >> GX240 (desktop) hooked up to same KVM and no problems.
    >>
    >> The KVM uses PS2 connectors. Since the docking station is just a pass
    >> through, and the GX240 works in the same situation, I'm at a loss as to
    >> figuring out what the root cause of the disconnect with the D620 is.
    >>
    >> Must assume it's the docking station as if I disconnect from docking
    >> station, I get control of mouse/kybd. Unfortunately, the laptop does not
    >> have PS/2 ports, so I cannot try the KVM connected directly to the
    >> laptop. (Need PS/2 ports to support legacy hw.)
    >>
    >> Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had
    >> experienced the same and has any recommendations. (Other than to lose
    >> the legacy hw support and move to USB KVM... thanks, but no can do right
    >> now.)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Lang

    > FWIW - I too recently got a new desktop and it only had USB kb/mouse.
    > Wouldn't work with my trusty KVM which had PS/2 ports. Even with
    > appropriate adapter(s).
    >
    > I contacted the mfg who stated I needed a new "intelligent" KVM but it was
    > cheaper to scrap the new desktop and replace it with one that had PS/2
    > still.
    >
    > I know that Startech has one that will work with both. Good luck.

    Thanks for the feedback, Bob.

    Lang

  5. Re: KVM with 8.04 and laptop with docking station...

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Lang wrote:
    >> Installed 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620. When it boots while attached
    >> to KVM through a docking station, no mouse or kybd response. Got a
    >> Dell GX240 (desktop) hooked up to same KVM and no problems.
    >>
    >> The KVM uses PS2 connectors. Since the docking station is just a pass
    >> through, and the GX240 works in the same situation, I'm at a loss as
    >> to figuring out what the root cause of the disconnect with the D620 is.
    >>
    >> Must assume it's the docking station as if I disconnect from docking
    >> station, I get control of mouse/kybd. Unfortunately, the laptop does
    >> not have PS/2 ports, so I cannot try the KVM connected directly to the
    >> laptop. (Need PS/2 ports to support legacy hw.)
    >>
    >> Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had
    >> experienced the same and has any recommendations. (Other than to lose
    >> the legacy hw support and move to USB KVM... thanks, but no can do
    >> right now.)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Lang

    > Many cheaper KVMs do not retain the specifics for the keyboard, mouse
    > and even monitor. Even the better ones require an external power supply
    > for their memory. Since that info is "not there" when Linux boots, it
    > can't find the required device information to choose a configuration
    > (driver) to make it work.
    >
    > Keyboards are pretty standard, but mice protocols and even their wiring
    > vary. Converters to/from PS/2 to AT work good for keyboards, but for
    > mice, PS/2 to/from serial is a big gamble, and usually a losing one. I
    > do use one wireless optical mouse receiver with USB through a
    > USB-to-PS/2 for one PS/2 KVM, and have no trouble with it.
    >
    > I have similar KVM problems with some distros but not every distro, when
    > using KVM switches, especially the 4-port KVM in the basement
    > laboratory. Always with the mice and never the keyboards. One solution
    > for a stubborn PC is to leave a mouse connected and not use the "main"
    > one on the KVM. Often a mouse is not required anyway.
    >
    > It is safe to hot-plug a PS/2 mouse (or keyboard) when using a KVM.
    > After the PC is booted and ready, try pulling the K or M plugs and
    > reinserting them and see if the device(s) are rescanned and then
    > recognized.
    >
    > Actually, despite the warnings, I frequently hot-plug PS/2 mice and
    > keyboards when the PC is powered, as well as monitors. If you try this
    > and see smoke, forget I said it! ;-)

    I'm using an APW 8 port KVM. Not an entry level KVM. ;D

    Shoot, all this hw is -work- hw... I have no problem with trying what
    you suggest. And will... but not tonight as the better half is toes up
    and I don't want any of my boxes to fra-eak out and start beeping like
    mad right now. Cause, lol, their beeping like mad would be nothing
    compared to the better half beeping like mad at being awoken at her
    o'dark thirty. No, think I'll wait until tomorrow for that test.

    And thanks for the suggestion... will report back...

    Lang

+ Reply to Thread