Mount /dev/cdrom to file - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mount /dev/cdrom to file - Ubuntu ; Just a small question: Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a path? now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom" i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar Thank you. S.H....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    Just a small question:

    Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a
    path?

    now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar

    Thank you.

    S.H.

  2. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:20:51 +0100, SH wrote:

    > Just a small question:
    >
    > Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a
    > path?
    >
    > now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    > i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar

    sudo mount -o loop /home/images/kubuntu-8.10-dvd-amd64.iso /export8.10

    --
    In her mercy, history anesthetizes those whom she
    intends to destroy.

    -- Leon Trotsky

  3. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    In article ,
    SH wrote:
    > Just a small question:
    >
    > Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a
    > path?
    >
    > now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    > i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar

    cat /dev/cdrom > file.iso

    This message was created using recycled electrons.

  4. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    Em Terça, 4 de Novembro de 2008 21:20, SH escreveu:

    > Just a small question:
    >
    > Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a
    > path?
    >
    > now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    > i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > S.H.

    not mount... but copy, yes

    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=./cdimage.iso

    cdimage.iso will be a virtual-cd file with all the contents of the cd disk

  5. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    Em Terça, 4 de Novembro de 2008 23:44, Joe User escreveu:

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:20:51 +0100, SH wrote:
    >
    >> Just a small question:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a
    >> path?
    >>
    >> now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    >> i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar

    > sudo mount -o loop /home/images/kubuntu-8.10-dvd-amd64.iso /export8.10

    the OP wants to do the opposite of that

  6. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    Well, that's exactly not, what I wanted. :-)

    I do not want to mount a file, I want to mount a DVD/CD, so that I can
    access it like an iso-file.
    But I need that "on the fly", so creating the dump with dd or cat is no
    solution, because i want to share it via SMB to a Windows-Machine.

    S.H.

  7. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    Em Quarta, 5 de Novembro de 2008 00:11, SH escreveu:

    > Well, that's exactly not, what I wanted. :-)
    >
    > I do not want to mount a file, I want to mount a DVD/CD, so that I can
    > access it like an iso-file.
    > But I need that "on the fly", so creating the dump with dd or cat is no
    > solution, because i want to share it via SMB to a Windows-Machine.
    >

    > S.H.

    why don't you share the mount point where the device is mounted then?
    it will do the same...

  8. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:11:27 +0000, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Terça, 4 de Novembro de 2008 23:44, Joe User escreveu:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:20:51 +0100, SH wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just a small question:
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of
    >>> a path?
    >>>
    >>> now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    >>> i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar

    >> sudo mount -o loop /home/images/kubuntu-8.10-dvd-amd64.iso /export8.10
    >>

    > the OP wants to do the opposite of that

    It's the same thing:

    >mkdir /dev/cdrom
    >mount -o loop /home/images/kubuntu-8.10-dvd-amd64.iso /dev/cdrom

    If /dev/cdrom exists as a device file, just delete it before the mkdir.

    --
    Freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything
    they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about

    -- Rudy Guiliani

  9. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 01:11:38 +0100, SH wrote:

    > Well, that's exactly not, what I wanted.
    >
    > I do not want to mount a file, I want to mount a DVD/CD, so that I can
    > access it like an iso-file.
    > But I need that "on the fly", so creating the dump with dd or cat is no
    > solution, because i want to share it via SMB to a Windows-Machine.
    >

    > S.H.

    Strange request, what exactly is your goal?

    Maybe you can use dd and make the output file a socket of fifo?

  10. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 01:11:38 +0100, SH wrote:

    > Well, that's exactly not, what I wanted. :-)
    >
    > I do not want to mount a file, I want to mount a DVD/CD, so that I can
    > access it like an iso-file.
    > But I need that "on the fly", so creating the dump with dd or cat is no
    > solution, because i want to share it via SMB to a Windows-Machine.
    >

    > S.H.

    That's the beauty of *nix - everything is a file, so when your mount point
    is e.g. /media/cdrom - that is a file.

  11. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    I do _NOT_ want to mount the iso.
    I want the iso as a result.

    S.H.

  12. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > why don't you share the mount point where the device is mounted then?
    > it will do the same...

    Nope, the Windows-Machine could not use it as a CD-Drive. It would be a
    net-share then. Doesn't work with Copy-Protections.

  13. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > Strange request, what exactly is your goal?

    Scenario:

    - Video-DVD in /dev/cdrom
    - Samba-Share on Mountpoint for Windows-HTPC does not work because of CSS
    protection
    - dvdreadfs with fuse to Samba-Share works, but is too slow and sometimes
    stops while playing the movie on tv
    - Samba-Share of the iso-File of the DVD and mount it for example with
    "Alcohol 120%" on the Windows-machine _could_ work
    - for that, i need the iso/image to be read "on the fly"
    - LAN is 100mbit, so should be fast enough

    > Maybe you can use dd and make the output file a socket of fifo?

    How?

    S.H.

  14. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > That's the beauty of *nix - everything is a file, so when your mount point
    > is e.g. /media/cdrom - that is a file.

    It's shown as directory?! What do you mean?

    S.H.

  15. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:21:11 +0100, SH wrote:

    > I do _NOT_ want to mount the iso.
    > I want the iso as a result.
    >
    > S.H.

    Ok, but you don't want a real iso, just a virtual one, that looks like a
    file, but on a read you would get data from the disk. Is that it?

    What do you want to do with this iso on the windows machine?

  16. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > Ok, but you don't want a real iso, just a virtual one, that looks like a
    > file, but on a read you would get data from the disk. Is that it?

    Exactly!

    > What do you want to do with this iso on the windows machine?

    Mount it with "Alcohol 120%". Only this way, the copy protections and CSS
    works.
    And I can access it like a "local" CD/DVD, not as a SMB-Share.

    S.H.

  17. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    SH wrote:
    >> That's the beauty of *nix - everything is a file, so when your mount point
    >> is e.g. /media/cdrom - that is a file.
    >>

    > It's shown as directory?! What do you mean?
    >
    > S.H.

    A directory is a file. It is located on the hard disk, and everything on
    the hard disk is a file.

    Directory files contain information for other files and directories.

    --
    John

  18. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    But how to share it as "file" with samba?

  19. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    In article ,
    SH wrote:
    > > Strange request, what exactly is your goal?

    > Scenario:
    >
    > - Video-DVD in /dev/cdrom
    > - Samba-Share on Mountpoint for Windows-HTPC does not work because of CSS
    > protection
    > - dvdreadfs with fuse to Samba-Share works, but is too slow and sometimes
    > stops while playing the movie on tv
    > - Samba-Share of the iso-File of the DVD and mount it for example with
    > "Alcohol 120%" on the Windows-machine _could_ work
    > - for that, i need the iso/image to be read "on the fly"
    > - LAN is 100mbit, so should be fast enough
    >
    > > Maybe you can use dd and make the output file a socket of fifo?

    > How?

    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso

    At least I think that's what "> >" (whose name you cut out) means,
    although I don't know what he/she means by a "socket of" that file.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    LEO: Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it

  20. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:24:29 +0100, SH wrote:

    >> That's the beauty of *nix - everything is a file, so when your mount
    >> point is e.g. /media/cdrom - that is a file.

    > It's shown as directory?! What do you mean?
    >
    > S.H.

    A directory is merely a certain type of file.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast