Mount /dev/cdrom to file - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Mount /dev/cdrom to file - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:58:36 +0100, SH wrote: > But how to share it as "file" with samba? So far as I know, samba does not share files, it shares directories....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:58:36 +0100, SH wrote:

    > But how to share it as "file" with samba?

    So far as I know, samba does not share files, it shares directories.

  2. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    That would "read" the whole disk and there's no time for it. "On the fly"
    was my intention...

    S.H.

  3. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:20:51 +0100, SH wrote:

    > Just a small question:
    >
    > Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of
    > a path?
    >
    > now: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom"
    > i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > S.H.

    Given that the end result is to play a movie on one machine with the disk
    in another machine, you are trying to solve the wrong problem, ie how to
    make windows thing a remote thing is a local dvd drive.

    Instead look at the program vlc - Video LAN Client. What you do is
    install vlc on the Linux box, open the DVD and set it to stream. You also
    install the windows version on the other box and set it to play back the
    stream.

    regards,
    Frank Ranner

  4. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > Given that the end result is to play a movie on one machine with the disk
    > in another machine, you are trying to solve the wrong problem, ie how to
    > make windows thing a remote thing is a local dvd drive.
    >
    > Instead look at the program vlc - Video LAN Client. What you do is
    > install vlc on the Linux box, open the DVD and set it to stream. You also
    > install the windows version on the other box and set it to play back the
    > stream.

    Hm, seems as if I have to try this solution. How is the handling of
    DVD-Menus? Is that possible?

    S.H.

  5. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:46:46 +0100, SH wrote:

    >> Given that the end result is to play a movie on one machine with the
    >> disk in another machine, you are trying to solve the wrong problem, ie
    >> how to make windows thing a remote thing is a local dvd drive.
    >>
    >> Instead look at the program vlc - Video LAN Client. What you do is
    >> install vlc on the Linux box, open the DVD and set it to stream. You
    >> also install the windows version on the other box and set it to play
    >> back the stream.

    > Hm, seems as if I have to try this solution. How is the handling of
    > DVD-Menus? Is that possible?
    >
    > S.H.

    You can probably share the /dev/cdrom file with samba and use vlc on
    windows. When you get vlc up and running, in the "file" menu you will
    see an item for "Open Disk", the in the window that comes up, you will
    see an item "Customize", in the box enter the path to the shared
    /dev/cdrom file. Let us know if this works.

    stonerfish

  6. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > /dev/cdrom file. Let us know if this works.

    As I already said: No access on protected VOBs. Windows show's them as
    0,99GB files, but if i open them with an editor, they contain nothing.
    Selfmade DVD's VOBs work.

    S.H.

  7. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 01:00:13 +0100, SH wrote:

    >> /dev/cdrom file. Let us know if this works.

    > As I already said: No access on protected VOBs. Windows show's them as
    > 0,99GB files, but if i open them with an editor, they contain nothing.
    > Selfmade DVD's VOBs work.
    >
    > S.H.

    OK. I am understanding you. And I think I am reading your mind when you
    say, "I don't want to try installing 'vlc', because it won't work anyway,
    as I can't read the files from my windows box"

    Can't you run an app on your linux box and watch it on your windows box.
    With vnc or the something. Or do a remote login to your linux box from
    the windows box.

    sf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2