Intrepid 64 bit and java plugin? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Intrepid 64 bit and java plugin? - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu friends, I have tried to update both my private laptop and my desktop from 8.04. Both are running the 64 bit version. To have java browser support I used the ff32-3in1 script as described in http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ showthread.php?p=1174435 and installed ...

  1. Intrepid 64 bit and java plugin?

    Ubuntu friends,

    I have tried to update both my private laptop and my desktop from 8.04.
    Both are running the 64 bit version. To have java browser support I used
    the ff32-3in1 script as described in http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
    showthread.php?p=1174435 and installed both firefox 32 as well as
    swiftweasel in 8.04. Swiftweasel on the desktop, ff32 on the laptop.

    However, upgrading to 8.10 totally knackered the 32 bit java browser
    plugin . I do need the sun java, as the icedtea version does not run with
    the HP insight management applet and a lot of other stuff I do need for
    work.

    I have put my clonezilla image back on my desktop after a couple of hours
    trying to get java support working, but I did not get it going.

    Even in a virtual machine a clean install of intrepid did not lead to a
    working browser (either 32 or 64 bit) with sun java plugins working.

    Anyone with a solution to this ?

    cheers,

    Oz

  2. Re: Intrepid 64 bit and java plugin?

    Oz wrote:

    > However, upgrading to 8.10 totally knackered the 32 bit java browser
    > plugin .

    Hmmm, same here.

    I downloaded and installed the latest JRE from sun.java.com which did
    nothing, so I tried following this:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnote...all-linux.html

    However, I can't find the bloody folder!

    Trying to run anything with a Java applet in locks up the browser and
    has to be killed.

  3. Re: Intrepid 64 bit and java plugin?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Oz wrote:
    >
    >> However, upgrading to 8.10 totally knackered the 32 bit java browser
    >> plugin .

    > Hmmm, same here.
    >
    > I downloaded and installed the latest JRE from sun.java.com which did
    > nothing, so I tried following this:
    > http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnote...all-linux.html
    >

    > However, I can't find the bloody folder!
    >
    > Trying to run anything with a Java applet in locks up the browser and
    > has to be killed.

    FWIW.....synaptic 32 bit install puts it here:

    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.10/jre

+ Reply to Thread