Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid - Ubuntu ; I'm a relative n00b at using ubuntu, even though I've had it on my desktop for about two years now, with (almost) no issues. However recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10. Since then: 1. If I leave the PC running ...

  1. Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    I'm a relative n00b at using ubuntu, even though I've had it on my
    desktop for about two years now, with (almost) no issues.
    However recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10.

    Since then:
    1. If I leave the PC running and go away for a couple of hours
    a. after 10 minutes the screensaver kicks in
    b. If I come back after three or four hours, the screensaver
    is still running, but when I move the mouse, or hit the
    keyboard the screensaver disappears, I'm left with a
    completely *blank* screen, and nothing I do helps except
    either hitting the power button, or logging in remotely
    (I have SSH set up) and doing 'sudo reboot'

    I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse, but I switched to a PS2 keyboard to
    no avail. I also added 'acpi=off' at the end of the 'kernel' line in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst; I've rebooted several times, and as of now I am
    up-to-date on updates. And by the bye - This never happened using 8.04.
    I *really* do not want to reinstall Hardy!

    HEEELP!!

    2. Sound seems to be OK generally (I hear the sounds when I startup or
    login,) but when I go to item on Youtube I can see, but can't hear. No
    sound. Should I install something?

    Thanks for any advice you can spare.

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

  2. Re: Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    Mike Rechtman wrote:
    > I'm a relative n00b at using ubuntu, even though I've had it on my
    > desktop for about two years now, with (almost) no issues.
    > However recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10.
    >
    > Since then:
    > 1. If I leave the PC running and go away for a couple of hours
    > a. after 10 minutes the screensaver kicks in
    > b. If I come back after three or four hours, the screensaver
    > is still running, but when I move the mouse, or hit the
    > keyboard the screensaver disappears, I'm left with a
    > completely *blank* screen, and nothing I do helps except
    > either hitting the power button, or logging in remotely
    > (I have SSH set up) and doing 'sudo reboot'
    >
    > I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse, but I switched to a PS2 keyboard to
    > no avail. I also added 'acpi=off' at the end of the 'kernel' line in
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst; I've rebooted several times, and as of now I am
    > up-to-date on updates. And by the bye - This never happened using 8.04.
    > I *really* do not want to reinstall Hardy!

    Maybe a little obvious but have you tried disabling the screen saver to
    see if that's the problem?

    > HEEELP!!
    >
    > 2. Sound seems to be OK generally (I hear the sounds when I startup or
    > login,) but when I go to item on Youtube I can see, but can't hear. No
    > sound. Should I install something?

    Check your audio mixer settings.
    Check the volume control setting inside the video (flash player) window
    when you are watching Youtube (could also download one of the videos and
    see if you can hear the audio using a compatible flv player such as VLC).
    Upgrade flash - - current version is 10, iirc.

  3. Re: Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    propman wrote:
    > Mike Rechtman wrote:
    >> I'm a relative n00b at using ubuntu, even though I've had it on my
    >> desktop for about two years now, with (almost) no issues.
    >> However recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10.
    >>
    >> Since then:
    >> 1. If I leave the PC running and go away for a couple of hours
    >> a. after 10 minutes the screensaver kicks in
    >> b. If I come back after three or four hours, the screensaver
    >> is still running, but when I move the mouse, or hit the
    >> keyboard the screensaver disappears, I'm left with a
    >> completely *blank* screen, and nothing I do helps except
    >> either hitting the power button, or logging in remotely
    >> (I have SSH set up) and doing 'sudo reboot'
    >>
    >> I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse, but I switched to a PS2 keyboard
    >> to no avail. I also added 'acpi=off' at the end of the 'kernel' line
    >> in /boot/grub/menu.lst; I've rebooted several times, and as of now I
    >> am up-to-date on updates. And by the bye - This never happened using
    >> 8.04. I *really* do not want to reinstall Hardy!
    >>

    > Maybe a little obvious but have you tried disabling the screen saver to
    > see if that's the problem?

    Tried that (I think.) Will try again.

    >> HEEELP!!
    >>
    >> 2. Sound seems to be OK generally (I hear the sounds when I startup or
    >> login,) but when I go to item on Youtube I can see, but can't hear. No
    >> sound. Should I install something?

    > Check your audio mixer settings.
    > Check the volume control setting inside the video (flash player) window
    > when you are watching Youtube (could also download one of the videos and
    > see if you can hear the audio using a compatible flv player such as VLC).
    > Upgrade flash - - current version is 10, iirc.

    Thanks, will try that

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  4. Re: Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    >>> 2. Sound seems to be OK generally (I hear the sounds when I startup
    >>> or login,) but when I go to item on Youtube I can see, but can't
    >>> hear. No
    >>> sound.

    Same here.

    >> Check your audio mixer settings.
    >> Check the volume control setting inside the video (flash player)
    >> window when you are watching Youtube (could also download one of the
    >> videos and see if you can hear the audio using a compatible flv player
    >> such as VLC).

    VLC works fine, all settings appear to be correct.

    >> Upgrade flash - - current version is 10, iirc.

    Already got the latest version.
    Something's gone awry somewhere.

  5. Re: Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Same here.
    >

    >>> Check your audio mixer settings.
    >>> Check the volume control setting inside the video (flash player)
    >>> window when you are watching Youtube (could also download one of the
    >>> videos and see if you can hear the audio using a compatible flv
    >>> player such as VLC).

    > VLC works fine, all settings appear to be correct.
    >
    >>> Upgrade flash - - current version is 10, iirc.

    > Already got the latest version.
    > Something's gone awry somewhere.

    Firefox or similar?? type "aboutlugins" in the urlbar

  6. Re: Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    propman wrote:

    >> Same here.

    >> VLC works fine, all settings appear to be correct.

    >> Already got the latest version.
    >> Something's gone awry somewhere.

    > Firefox or similar?? type "aboutlugins" in the urlbar

    My mistake, I had 9.

    Installed 10 from the Adobe website and this stopped plugins working at all.
    Removed. Plugins still don't work.

    Installed 10 from the Intrepid repo. Plugins don't work.
    Removed. Plugins don't work.

    Installed 10 from the repos again, along with the -extrasounds package
    and the libswfdec-8.0 packages.
    The plugins work again, still no sounds.

    aboutlugins claims this to be Flash 9.

    So got nowhere.

  7. Re: Help! Timeout hangs after installing Intrepid

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Same here.
    >

    >>> Check your audio mixer settings.
    >>> Check the volume control setting inside the video (flash player)
    >>> window when you are watching Youtube (could also download one of the
    >>> videos and see if you can hear the audio using a compatible flv
    >>> player such as VLC).

    > VLC works fine, all settings appear to be correct.
    >
    >>> Upgrade flash - - current version is 10, iirc.

    > Already got the latest version.
    > Something's gone awry somewhere.

    You have my sympathies. I had started to think I was in a parallel
    universe, and I was the only one with this problem.
    Do you have enough data to register a bug report? (lacking Ub/Linux/Un*x
    experience -- and confidence, myself)
    I'm sure this is *not* what's meant to happen.

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/