Browser error - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Browser error - Ubuntu ; Running 8.04, ran great for months. Now, FireFox, shut down by it self, or crashes. This happens on other Browsers I tried. I have to "Force Quit" to continue. Once I force quit, I can not shut down the PC. ...

  1. Browser error

    Running 8.04, ran great for months. Now, FireFox, shut down by it self,
    or crashes. This happens on other Browsers I tried. I have to "Force
    Quit" to continue. Once I force quit, I can not shut down the PC.
    I've read numerous forums. buy found them over my head.
    Any suggestions ??

  2. Re: Browser error

    j.greenbaum wrote:
    > Running 8.04, ran great for months. Now, FireFox, shut down by it
    > self, or crashes. This happens on other Browsers I tried. I have to
    > "Force Quit" to continue. Once I force quit, I can not shut down the PC.
    > I've read numerous forums. buy found them over my head.
    > Any suggestions ??

    What do you mean by "force quit"?

    There are several methods to quit a program, and several are by "force."

    And I don't understand your statement that you can not shut down the PC.
    How are you attempting to do this?

    What are you doing in a browser when it "crashes"? Are you using some
    plugin, or watching some kind of video?

    My "suggestion" is for you to provide more information so someone can
    begin to help you.

    --
    John

  3. Re: Browser error

    j.greenbaum wrote:
    > Running 8.04, ran great for months. Now, FireFox, shut down by it
    > self, or crashes. This happens on other Browsers I tried. I have
    > to "Force Quit" to continue. Once I force quit, I can not shut
    > down the PC. I've read numerous forums. buy found them over my
    > head. Any suggestions ??

    When what seems the same thing happened to me, by adding the system
    monitor panel applet to my amd64 ubuntu 8.04, I noticed the flash
    plugin was taking cpu load to 100% and not unloading when I closed
    Firefox.

    If that is the case in your instance, force quitting npviewer.bin
    from the system monitor applet should at least keep your system
    operating while you find a solution.

    --
    Bob
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will

  4. Re: Browser error

    j.greenbaum wrote:
    > Running 8.04, ran great for months. Now, FireFox, shut down by it self,
    > or crashes. This happens on other Browsers I tried. I have to "Force
    > Quit" to continue. Once I force quit, I can not shut down the PC.
    > I've read numerous forums. buy found them over my head.
    > Any suggestions ??

    You don't have launchpad in your sources.list file do you?
    If so, remove.

  5. Re: Browser error

    "j.greenbaum" wrote:

    > Running 8.04, ran great for months. Now, FireFox, shut down by it
    > self, or crashes. This happens on other Browsers I tried. I have
    > to "Force Quit" to continue. Once I force quit, I can not shut
    > down the PC. I've read numerous forums. buy found them over my
    > head. Any suggestions ??

    I suspect you have (or had) faulty hardware. The most likely
    suspect is the main memory, if is lacking ECC protection. The web
    communication is an OS function, and nothing to do with the actual
    browser in use.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

+ Reply to Thread