Getting error when trying to post from Pan - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Getting error when trying to post from Pan - Ubuntu ; TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here. Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get: 441 Posting failed (rejected ...

  1. Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.

    Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:

    441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)

    ???

    TIA,

    Lang

  2. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    Lang wrote:
    > TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >
    > Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    > issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >
    > 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)

    Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's (version
    0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped using it
    because, like you, when replying to messages, it would intermittently
    throw a "newsgroup not found" error message. I personally haven't seen
    the error message you are receiving and so am not qualified to say if
    this is a bug or not but you might want to check Pan's web site to see
    if there is anything documented regarding your problem.

    FWIW...also when reading messages, it would also barf on reading the
    message's content (ie, blank message area).

    Apparently there is an earlier version of Pan which is supposed to be
    quite stable from what I have read previously but it doesn't appear to
    be in the repo's (unless it's in a pre-hardy repo)....hopefully someone
    else will chime in with a suggestion on this topic.

    Knode (Kubuntu based newsreader) looks interesting (similar in style to
    Thunderbird and Pan) but as of yet I haven't been able to log on to
    motzarella.org with it due to some password buglet happening.

    Anyways, just my 2 cents worth....hope you get your problem fixed soon! :-)

  3. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:30:09 -0800, propman propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > Lang wrote:
    >> TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >>
    >> Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    >> issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >>
    >> 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)
    >>

    > Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's (version
    > 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped using it
    > because, like you, when replying to messages, it would intermittently
    > throw a "newsgroup not found" error message. I personally haven't seen
    > the error message you are receiving and so am not qualified to say if
    > this is a bug or not but you might want to check Pan's web site to see
    > if there is anything documented regarding your problem.
    >
    > FWIW...also when reading messages, it would also barf on reading the
    > message's content (ie, blank message area).
    >
    > Apparently there is an earlier version of Pan which is supposed to be
    > quite stable from what I have read previously but it doesn't appear to
    > be in the repo's (unless it's in a pre-hardy repo)....hopefully someone
    > else will chime in with a suggestion on this topic.
    >
    > Knode (Kubuntu based newsreader) looks interesting (similar in style to
    > Thunderbird and Pan) but as of yet I haven't been able to log on to
    > motzarella.org with it due to some password buglet happening.
    >
    > Anyways, just my 2 cents worth....hope you get your problem fixed soon!
    > :-)

    Same problem, but I wonder whether it is something to do with motzarella.
    I only have a problem when I have a break while reading ngs, so maybe
    motzarella has a time-out? Shut down and restart pan gets it back to
    normal.

    --
    Rob
    You've heard about the computer programmer that died while washing his

  4. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    propman wrote:
    > Lang wrote:
    >> TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >>
    >> Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    >> issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >>
    >> 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)
    >>

    > Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's
    > (version 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped
    > using it because, like you, when replying to messages, it would
    > intermittently throw a "newsgroup not found" error message. I
    > personally haven't seen the error message you are receiving and so am
    > not qualified to say if this is a bug or not but you might want to
    > check Pan's web site to see if there is anything documented regarding
    > your problem.
    >
    > FWIW...also when reading messages, it would also barf on reading the
    > message's content (ie, blank message area).
    >
    > Apparently there is an earlier version of Pan which is supposed to be
    > quite stable from what I have read previously but it doesn't appear to
    > be in the repo's (unless it's in a pre-hardy repo)....hopefully
    > someone else will chime in with a suggestion on this topic.
    >
    > Knode (Kubuntu based newsreader) looks interesting (similar in style
    > to Thunderbird and Pan) but as of yet I haven't been able to log on to
    > motzarella.org with it due to some password buglet happening.
    >
    > Anyways, just my 2 cents worth....hope you get your problem fixed
    > soon! :-)

    The following is more than two cents. Due to inflation, it's more like a
    buck two ninety-five. Hopefully somebody will get something of use from
    it....

    Pan beta version 0.132 etc. has been known to have problems for many
    months. There is a newer beta version 0.133 now available, but I have
    not downloaded it, nor heard anybody comment on it.

    http://pan.rebelbase.com

    The majority of (knowledgeable) Pan users recommend version 0.14.2.91
    which seems (to me, anyway) to be a very good newsreader. You can
    download it from here:

    http://pan.rebelbase.com/download

    Some versions of Pan are very memory intensive, and will appear to lock
    up your computer for several minutes in large groups (like
    alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 where there are hundreds of thousands of
    articles). For such a binary group, I have found nothing better than
    klibido for downloading. It is NOT a news "reader" but a binary grabber.

    I use Thunderbird because I prefer the ability to see graphical
    attachments. I frequent groups where people post pictures of their
    vacations, projects, screen captures, etc., and sometimes use HTML,
    often for no particular benefit. When helping someone troubleshoot an
    issue, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

    Those who feel there is no place for images in Usenet should not
    subscribe to those groups, eh. ;-) Much easier than trying to get the
    masses educated on how (and where) to upload their binary files using
    FTP etc. even though an FTP or Web server would be more fitting. You
    just can't change some people's personal opinions.

    I do not need to filter incoming messages using a score filter, so that
    missing feature in Thunderbird is not important. I can easily "filter"
    by using the R key to mark the whole thread read ("red"), or
    click-filter with the mouse. If I wanted to filter by score, then I'd
    probably see if I could get Pan to do it, or move to slrn for those
    groups requiring scoring.

    Thunderbird does have some filtering abilities that many people
    overlook. It's in the View menu --> Messages --> Customize at the
    bottom. Certainly not a high-powered scripting ability, but probably
    will suffice for most anybody who doesn't have time to burn setting up
    scoring filters which may be out-of-date quickly as subjects and posters
    move on. Some like to read and learn. Others like to tweak. Sometimes
    some people like to do both. Different strokes for different folks....

    I do not like Thunderbird's stupid time display in AM/PM, preferring the
    24-hour clock. Mozilla broke this after Mozilla 1.7. All other
    newsreaders display time "correctly" by reading the system clock and not
    modifying the time it furnishes. AM and PM are so Post Mortem. But many
    prefer this.

    One Mozilla-suggested work-around is to use something like "export
    LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8" in ~/.bash.rc which will change things for all
    programs run by that user. I don't use it because it ruins my preferred
    date style of YYYYMMDD, and a few other oddities.

    Why doesn't Mozilla.org simply fix it?! This "bug" alone may be the
    straw that breaks the camel's back, and causes me to avoid using
    Mozilla's consumer-orientated junk. I often wonder if they still have
    some AOL DNA floating around in their brains. I'm not happy with
    Thunderbird, but I still use it most of the time. Same goes for the
    Firefox vs. Opera vs. Konqueror vs. .... considerations.

    KNode is a very decent newsreader. I don't use it often, but it is one
    that I have used in the past, along with nearly all that are in
    existence, mainly for testing news servers. See the paragraphs below for
    some Motzarella help.

    Claws Mail is also a very nice newsreader. I need to use it more often
    to learn it. I was "burnt" by a previous incarnation called
    Sylpheed-Claws, which was a memory hog and slow as molasses in Wasilla.
    It's just not on this Ubuntu 6.06 box, although it is ready to go on the
    Ubuntu 8.04 PC and monitor just to the left of this one.

    40Tude Dialog is a good newsreader, but it is written for Windows, and
    is proprietary (not libre-free, although it is free of cost), so, ...
    you gotta use Wine or Crossover to get it to work under Linux. It's
    probably still better than Thunderbird, and I'd maybe move to it if I
    didn't have such a massive amount of news articles and e-mail archived
    from the past 14 or so years. I need to burn it all to CD-R or DVD-R
    discs and then switch.

    Don't pay a lot of attention to the rambling of some who state that some
    newsreaders are really "modified" e-mail clients. So what? The message
    form is nearly identical anyway, and making a "reader" do dual duty is
    not that big of a deal. Read RFC 822/2822 to see the minor differences
    in message format. Sure, the protocol is different, but that has nothing
    to do with the content of the messages, just how they are propagated.

    Of course using any newsreader will depend on your specific desires,
    which can and will change between different newsgroups. You can't have
    your cake and eat it too, unless you write your own newsreader program.
    Then it will be what you want, but will certainly not be what others
    want. With that in mind, advocacy arguments are a big waste of time. I'm
    starting to realize that I may need to use two, or multiple newsreaders,
    to get what I really want from each scenario in each newsgroup.

    No one newsreader is "best" by any means. I'm comparing stability
    (bugs), configuration options, type of display and rendering, multipart
    and decoding abilities, filtering, SSL/TLS availability, etc. Too many
    variables in news readers, coupled with too many different newsgroups
    and news servers, plus personal preferences.

    It may be best to simply ask "what newsreader does this and that?" and
    let the experienced readers answer, hoping they are really experienced
    and keep on topic.

    I can access Motzarella fine with any of my newsreaders, including
    KNode. This kind of makes me believe it's not the software but a user
    setting. You just haven't found the correct combination of configuration
    settings to get it to work. Keep at it so you will discover the problem.
    Quitting means you will never find the solution ("Quitters never win"). ;-)

    Be sure you have checked "Server requires authentication" and entered
    your User and Password info, or you will only see a few limited groups.
    The Server is "news.motzarella.org" which should be in the "Server:"
    box. You can also use that name in the "Name:" box, which is what you
    see in the list of servers and accounts in the left-hand pane. The
    "Port:" is the standard NNTP port 119.

    Since you are sending your password in the clear, and a
    man-in-the-middle could sniff it for evil purposes, you might want to
    use port 563 which is secure NNTP. KNode does not support SSL/TLS, so to
    use secure communications so your password is encrypted, you will need
    to use a helper application, like Stunnel, which I do use. It's in the
    DEB-APT repository (apt-get, Synaptic, etc.).

    Since Motzarella isn't your bank, you can probably safely send your
    password in the clear, but please use a one-of-a-kind password for that
    account, and not the same one you use for your own PC, bank accounts, etc.!

    KNode is a decent newsreader, and does have scoring and can display
    graphical images. Give it a try and see if it isn't close to what you
    would expect a "great" newsreader to offer.

    Heck, try them all! Use what you like, when you like. That's the Linux way!

    --
    John

  5. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    aspir8or wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:30:09 -0800, propman propped his eyelids open with
    > toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> Lang wrote:
    >>> TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >>>
    >>> Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    >>> issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >>>
    >>> 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)
    >>>

    >> Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's (version
    >> 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped using it

    > Same problem, but I wonder whether it is something to do with motzarella.
    > I only have a problem when I have a break while reading ngs, so maybe
    > motzarella has a time-out? Shut down and restart pan gets it back to
    > normal.

    Nothing to do with motzarella....never have a problem when I use,
    Thunderbird or Xnews (windows newsreader); only a problem with Pan. And
    like you, the problems I experienced at this end of things were
    temporarily rectified by shutting the program down and then bringing it
    up again. I see that John Morse has posted a url for a Pan update, so
    will probably check that out later today....hopefully they have fixed
    the buglets we are experiencing. :-)

  6. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Lang wrote:
    >>> TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >>>
    >>> Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    >>> issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >>>
    >>> 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)
    >>>

    >> Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's
    >> (version 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped

    > Pan beta version 0.132 etc. has been known to have problems for many
    > months. There is a newer beta version 0.133 now available, but I have
    > not downloaded it, nor heard anybody comment on it.
    >
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com
    >
    > The majority of (knowledgeable) Pan users recommend version 0.14.2.91
    > which seems (to me, anyway) to be a very good newsreader. You can
    > download it from here:
    >
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/download

    Thanks for the update, John...much appreciated. :-)

    > Claws Mail is also a very nice newsreader. I need to use it more often
    > to learn it.

    Will check this one out....but if one needs to "learn" how to use it,
    it's probably way over-kill for my needs. :-)

    > 40Tude Dialog is a good newsreader, but it is written for Windows, and
    > is proprietary (not libre-free, although it is free of cost), so, ...
    > you gotta use Wine or Crossover to get it to work under Linux.

    Use Xnews for years...buglets and all. Author stresses it's not a binary
    newsreader but it sure did the job OK when I had access to binary
    newsgroups!

    > Don't pay a lot of attention to the rambling of some who state that some
    > newsreaders are really "modified" e-mail clients. So what?

    My thoughts exactly......

    > Then it will be what you want, but will certainly not be what others
    > want. With that in mind, advocacy arguments are a big waste of time.

    IMHO, that also includes OS'es..........others views "might" vary, of
    course! ;-)

  7. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    propman wrote:
    > Lang wrote:
    >> TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >>
    >> Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    >> issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >>
    >> 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)
    >>

    > Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's (version
    > 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped using it
    > because, like you, when replying to messages, it would intermittently
    > throw a "newsgroup not found" error message. I personally haven't seen
    > the error message you are receiving and so am not qualified to say if
    > this is a bug or not but you might want to check Pan's web site to see
    > if there is anything documented regarding your problem.

    > Anyways, just my 2 cents worth....hope you get your problem fixed soon! :-)

    Yah, I have 0.132. Will grab the version John Morse suggests and give
    that a whack.

    Thanks,

    Lang

  8. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Lang wrote:
    >>> TB is working fine. Obviously, or this msg wouldn't be here.
    >>>
    >>> Installed Pan, everything seems fine, connected to ng server without
    >>> issue. Can read msgs without issue, when I try to post a msg I get:
    >>>
    >>> 441 Posting failed (rejected by POST filter)
    >>>

    >> Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's
    >> (version 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped

    > The majority of (knowledgeable) Pan users recommend version 0.14.2.91
    > which seems (to me, anyway) to be a very good newsreader. You can
    > download it from here:
    >
    > http://pan.rebelbase.com/download

    John,

    Thanks for the link... I'll give that a shot.

    Lang

  9. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    Lang wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> propman wrote:

    >>> Which version of Pan? If you are using the one from the repo's
    >>> (version 0.132-3.1) it would appear to be quite buggy. I've stopped

    >> The majority of (knowledgeable) Pan users recommend version 0.14.2.91
    >> which seems (to me, anyway) to be a very good newsreader. You can
    >> download it from here:
    >>
    >> http://pan.rebelbase.com/download

    > John,
    >
    > Thanks for the link... I'll give that a shot.
    >
    > Lang

    You are welcome.

    Be sure to report back and let us know what is new, fixed, broken, etc. ;-)

    --
    John

  10. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    propman wrote:

    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> Since you are sending your password in the clear, and a
    >> man-in-the-middle could sniff it for evil purposes, you might want to
    >> use port 563 which is secure NNTP. KNode does not support SSL/TLS, so to
    >> use secure communications so your password is encrypted, you will need
    >> to use a helper application, like Stunnel, which I do use.

    > FWIW, though I haven't really check things out on this front, v4.1.2
    > seems to have support for SSL/TLS under "Server Properties".
    >
    > Thanks for the post John! :-)

    Wow! KNode has come a long way. Mine is version 0.10.2, on this Ubuntu 6.06
    LTS box. I'm using it right now for this message, so I can verify the
    header.

    I'll (try and remember to) look at one of the newer Ubuntu boxes later and
    see how KNode looks.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    --
    John

    No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products
    were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me
    what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who
    wants me to know what I can do.

  11. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, John F. Morse had the audacity to say that:

    > Some versions of Pan are very memory intensive, and will appear to lock
    > up your computer for several minutes in large groups (like
    > alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 where there are hundreds of thousands of
    > articles). For such a binary group, I have found nothing better than
    > klibido for downloading. It is NOT a news "reader" but a binary grabber.

    Must chime in on Klibido: amazing use of bandwidth. The best downloader for
    large multipart binaries, by far.

    (and slrn, for text groups, by far the best text reader out there.)

    *R* *H*

    --
    "His one secret thought, became like a chain, binding down his spirit, and,
    like a serpent, gnawing into his heart; and he was transformed into a sad

    Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Roger Malvin's Burial"

  12. Re: Getting error when trying to post from Pan

    On 2008-11-10, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, John F. Morse had the audacity to say that:
    >

    >> Some versions of Pan are very memory intensive, and will appear to lock
    >> up your computer for several minutes in large groups (like
    >> alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 where there are hundreds of thousands of
    >> articles). For such a binary group, I have found nothing better than
    >> klibido for downloading. It is NOT a news "reader" but a binary grabber.

    > Must chime in on Klibido: amazing use of bandwidth. The best downloader for
    > large multipart binaries, by far.
    >
    > (and slrn, for text groups, by far the best text reader out there.)

    For fun, install and configure hellanzb. I like it *MUCH* more than
    klibido, though that would be my second choice.

    hellanzb takes a little patience to set up, but it runs as a daemon.
    Just drop the .nzb file into the directory, and it goes. It also has
    a wide variety of gui management tools available. My favorite (so
    far) is hellagui, but I am sure that many of the others do just
    fine...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread