How to set static IP address in 8.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to set static IP address in 8.10 - Ubuntu ; CJM wrote: > I used to set static address from System>Administration>Network and > changed the properties for the LAN device. > > Now the Network option is located in System>Preferences, but I don't > see a way to change the ...

  1. Re: How to set static IP address in 8.10

    CJM wrote:
    > I used to set static address from System>Administration>Network and
    > changed the properties for the LAN device.
    >
    > Now the Network option is located in System>Preferences, but I don't
    > see a way to change the address from DHCP to static.
    >
    > Am I missing something?

    System > Preferences > [select wired or wireless tab] > [select/highlight
    network device to edit] > Edit button > [select IPv4 Settings - Method
    menu: select Manual - complete the sections for Addresses & DNS Servers

    If you don't select the network device/connection to edit, the Edit button
    won't become operational and you can't get to the IPv4 settings.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: How to set static IP address in 8.10

    Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:03:04 -0700

    Voluntary Clock Police courtesy report:

    The one hour discrepancy between the UTC time of your newsserver's NPD
    line and that of your Date line suggests that you did not adjust your
    timezone offset for the cessation of Daylight Saving Time in the US (2 am
    Sunday); consequently your date stamp is 1 hour in the future.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: How to set static IP address in 8.10

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > CJM wrote:
    > Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:03:04 -0700
    >
    > Voluntary Clock Police courtesy report:
    >
    > The one hour discrepancy between the UTC time of your newsserver's NPD
    > line and that of your Date line suggests that you did not adjust your
    > timezone offset for the cessation of Daylight Saving Time in the US (2 am
    > Sunday); consequently your date stamp is 1 hour in the future.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Mike,

    Thanks for the input.

    I am writing to this newsgroup on old WinBLOWS 2000 box. Guess Micro$$$$
    can't afford to put an DST update along with one of their 1,000,000 security
    updates each month!

    Had to manually reset it.

    TNX

  4. How to set static IP address in 8.10

    I used to set static address from System>Administration>Network and changed
    the properties for the LAN device.

    Now the Network option is located in System>Preferences, but I don't see a
    way to change the address from DHCP to static.

    Am I missing something?

    Charlie

    --

  5. Re: How to set static IP address in 8.10

    CJM wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    >
    >> CJM wrote:
    >> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:03:04 -0700
    >>
    >> Voluntary Clock Police courtesy report:
    >>
    >> The one hour discrepancy between the UTC time of your newsserver's NPD
    >> line and that of your Date line suggests that you did not adjust your
    >> timezone offset for the cessation of Daylight Saving Time in the US (2 am
    >> Sunday); consequently your date stamp is 1 hour in the future.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    > Mike,
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > I am writing to this newsgroup on old WinBLOWS 2000 box. Guess Micro$$$$
    > can't afford to put an DST update along with one of their 1,000,000 security
    > updates each month!
    >
    > Had to manually reset it.
    >
    > TNX

    Stick Micr0$lut!

    My recently acquired W2k box had the same problem Sunday. I did what I
    do with the Win 85 and Win 98 boxen:

    http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime

    Works great!

    Another oddity: my wife's Win XP Home SP2 didn't switch, but my Win XP
    Pro SP1 did. I'll have to fire up the Win XP Pro SP2 box in the basement
    and see what it shows.

    None of the Linux boxen had a lick of trouble, nor the iMac with OS-X.
    However the old Macs don't know about the government fiddling with time
    in the past two years.

    One sure fix is to put everything on GMT/UTC. ;-)

    --
    John