Upgrade or fresh install? (article) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Upgrade or fresh install? (article) - Ubuntu ; FWIW.......... http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21448/1154/ Do you really need to install Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu Linux 8.10)? by David M Williams Monday, 03 November 2008 Page 1 of 7 Ubuntu fans rejoice, the latest release is upon us in the form of version 8.10, ...

  1. Upgrade or fresh install? (article)

    FWIW..........

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21448/1154/

    Do you really need to install Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu Linux 8.10)?
    by David M Williams
    Monday, 03 November 2008
    Page 1 of 7

    Ubuntu fans rejoice, the latest release is upon us in the form of
    version 8.10, Intrepid Ibex. But can't you just run a software update in
    Hardy Heron? I'll tell you what's different down to the package level
    between an upgraded Hardy installation and a fresh Intrepid installation
    so you can evaluate for yourself.

  2. Re: Upgrade or fresh install? (article)

    propman wrote:

    >FWIW..........
    >

    >http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21448/1154/
    >

    >Do you really need to install Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu Linux 8.10)?
    >by David M Williams
    >Monday, 03 November 2008
    >Page 1 of 7
    >
    >Ubuntu fans rejoice, the latest release is upon us in the form of
    >version 8.10, Intrepid Ibex. But can't you just run a software update in
    >Hardy Heron? I'll tell you what's different down to the package level
    >between an upgraded Hardy installation and a fresh Intrepid installation
    >so you can evaluate for yourself.

    What exactly was the point of this article? I guess it was intended
    for the ubergeek, and I'm not that.

  3. Re: Upgrade or fresh install? (article)

    Todd wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >
    >> FWIW..........
    >>

    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21448/1154/
    >>

    >> Do you really need to install Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu Linux 8.10)?
    >> by David M Williams
    >> Monday, 03 November 2008
    >> Page 1 of 7
    >>
    >> Ubuntu fans rejoice, the latest release is upon us in the form of
    >> version 8.10, Intrepid Ibex. But can't you just run a software update in
    >> Hardy Heron? I'll tell you what's different down to the package level
    >> between an upgraded Hardy installation and a fresh Intrepid installation
    >> so you can evaluate for yourself.
    >>

    > What exactly was the point of this article? I guess it was intended
    > for the ubergeek, and I'm not that.

    Not really sure what your question is refering to...the opening blurb
    from the article seems pretty self explanatory. :-)

+ Reply to Thread