OT: URL confirmation - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT: URL confirmation - Ubuntu ; Any of youse rascals with a spare moment on your hands....can you access the following site from your part of the world? I get: http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /hdsilence.html on this server." ......or: http://www.justblair.co.uk/ "Forbidden You ...

  1. OT: URL confirmation

    Any of youse rascals with a spare moment on your hands....can you access
    the following site from your part of the world?

    I get:

    http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html

    "Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /hdsilence.html on this server."

    ......or:

    http://www.justblair.co.uk/

    "Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server."

    FWIW, the above url reference was from a Slashdot article at:

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/firehos...344123&op=view

    Silencing a hard drive with household items[->] 2008-10-30 16:52 Justblair
    Submitted by Justblair on Thursday October 30, @04:52PM

    This article demonstrates a very easy to make hard drive silencer that
    not only outperforms most commercially available devices, but is cheaper
    to implement and is quieter. Requiring very little in fabrication
    skills, it is an ideal addition to a Media or HTPC. It may even suit you
    if your head is aching after many hours being whined at by that hard drive!

    Thanks! :-)

  2. Re: OT: URL confirmation

    propman wrote:

    > Any of youse rascals with a spare moment on your hands....can you access
    > the following site from your part of the world?
    >

    > I get:
    >
    > http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html
    >
    > "Forbidden
    > You don't have permission to access /hdsilence.html on this server."
    >
    > .....or:
    >
    > http://www.justblair.co.uk/
    >
    > "Forbidden
    > You don't have permission to access / on this server."
    >

    > FWIW, the above url reference was from a Slashdot article at:
    >
    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/firehos...344123&op=view

    Yup. 403.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  3. Re: OT: URL confirmation

    propman schreef:

    > Any of youse rascals with a spare moment on your hands....can you access
    > the following site from your part of the world?
    >

    > I get:
    >
    > http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html
    >
    > "Forbidden
    > You don't have permission to access /hdsilence.html on this server."

    I have accessed this site yesterday and read the instructions.
    Neat but not shockingly smart.

    I ussume he has gone over the limit of his provider and the site has
    been shut down till the bill is paid or a new period (week/month,
    whatever) comes around to reset the counter.

    > .....or:
    >
    > http://www.justblair.co.uk/
    >
    > "Forbidden
    > You don't have permission to access / on this server."
    >

    > FWIW, the above url reference was from a Slashdot article at:
    >
    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/firehos...344123&op=view
    >

    > Silencing a hard drive with household items[->] 2008-10-30 16:52 Justblair
    > Submitted by Justblair on Thursday October 30, @04:52PM
    >
    > This article demonstrates a very easy to make hard drive silencer that
    > not only outperforms most commercially available devices, but is cheaper
    > to implement and is quieter. Requiring very little in fabrication
    > skills, it is an ideal addition to a Media or HTPC. It may even suit you
    > if your head is aching after many hours being whined at by that hard drive!
    >

    > Thanks! :-)

  4. Re: OT: URL confirmation

    Dale Beckett wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >>
    >> FWIW, the above url reference was from a Slashdot article at:
    >>
    >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/firehos...344123&op=view
    >>

    > Yup. 403.

    Thanks for the confirmation, Dale. :-)

  5. Re: OT: URL confirmation

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > propman schreef:
    >>

    > I have accessed this site yesterday and read the instructions.
    > Neat but not shockingly smart.
    >
    > I ussume he has gone over the limit of his provider and the site has
    > been shut down till the bill is paid or a new period (week/month,
    > whatever) comes around to reset the counter.

    OK thanks for the update Dirk...much appreciated, :-)

  6. Re: OT: URL confirmation

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > I ussume he has gone over the limit of his provider and the site has
    > been shut down till the bill is paid or a new period (week/month,
    > whatever) comes around to reset the counter.

    a.k.a. The Slashdot Effect.
    Nice to see them live up to their reputation.

  7. Re: URL confirmation

    propman wrote:

    > http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html

    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/firehos...344123&op=view
    >

    > Silencing a hard drive with household items[->] 2008-10-30 16:52
    > Justblair Submitted by Justblair on Thursday October 30, @04:52PM
    >
    > This article demonstrates a very easy to make hard drive silencer that
    > not only outperforms most commercially available devices, but is cheaper
    > to implement and is quieter. Requiring very little in fabrication
    > skills, it is an ideal addition to a Media or HTPC. It may even suit you
    > if your head is aching after many hours being whined at by that hard
    > drive!

    One way to get around the /. effect if there isn't a mirror is to use
    googlecache

    http://snipr.com/4yzm3 Silencing a hard drive - Written by Justblair -
    I origionally got the idea for doing this through a post from "AlleyCat"
    at www.silentpcreview.com. Though my refinement to the build is using a
    flanged enclusure and adding elastic suspension.

    .... but the cache lacks the pics which contribute to the article.

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: URL confirmation

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html

    > One way to get around the /. effect if there isn't a mirror is to use
    > googlecache
    >
    > http://snipr.com/4yzm3 Silencing a hard drive - Written by Justblair -
    > I origionally got the idea for doing this through a post from "AlleyCat"
    > at www.silentpcreview.com. Though my refinement to the build is using a
    > flanged enclusure and adding elastic suspension.
    >
    > ... but the cache lacks the pics which contribute to the article.

    Cheers for the pointer, Mike...will have to keep this in mind for future
    reference. :-)

  9. Re: URL confirmation

    propman wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> propman wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.justblair.co.uk/hdsilence.html

    >> One way to get around the /. effect if there isn't a mirror is to use
    >> googlecache
    >>
    >> http://snipr.com/4yzm3 Silencing a hard drive - Written by Justblair
    >> - I origionally got the idea for doing this through a post from
    >> "AlleyCat" at www.silentpcreview.com. Though my refinement to the
    >> build is using a flanged enclusure and adding elastic suspension.
    >>
    >> ... but the cache lacks the pics which contribute to the article.
    >>

    > Cheers for the pointer, Mike...will have to keep this in mind for future
    > reference. :-)

    Sometimes the trick to getting googlewebsearch to give you access/ a link/
    to the specific cache is (simply) to put the link you want into google's
    search window. Sometimes you have to search for some specific string on
    the page (if you have such).

    Troubleshooting why you can't get some specific page to come up is another
    matter if there isn't an obvious cause like this site getting slashdotted.
    The slashdot effect is manifested various and different ways; this
    particular webserver result isn't the most common.

    There are ongoing suggestions about what kinds of things can/should be
    done to mitigate the slashdot effect.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: URL confirmation

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > propman wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> One way to get around the /. effect if there isn't a mirror is to
    >>> use googlecache
    >>>
    >>> http://snipr.com/4yzm3 Silencing a hard drive - Written by
    >>> Justblair - I origionally got the idea for doing this through a
    >>> post from "AlleyCat" at www.silentpcreview.com. Though my
    >>> refinement to the build is using a flanged enclusure and adding
    >>> elastic suspension.
    >>>
    >>> ... but the cache lacks the pics which contribute to the article.
    >>>

    >> Cheers for the pointer, Mike...will have to keep this in mind for
    >> future reference. :-)

    > Sometimes the trick to getting googlewebsearch to give you access/ a
    > link/ to the specific cache is (simply) to put the link you want into
    > google's search window. Sometimes you have to search for some
    > specific string on the page (if you have such).

    That's what I usually do to see if anyone else is carrying the
    information on dead links; didn't seem an applicable choice in this
    situation but then again I wasn't aware of Google's cache.

    > Troubleshooting why you can't get some specific page to come up is
    > another matter if there isn't an obvious cause like this site getting
    > slashdotted. The slashdot effect is manifested various and different
    > ways; this particular webserver result isn't the most common.
    >
    > There are ongoing suggestions about what kinds of things can/should
    > be done to mitigate the slashdot effect.

    First time I've heard of the "slashdot effect" too....will be doing some
    googling on this. Can't see why though accessing that particular page
    would have anything to do with slashdot itself as the reference was
    direct to the article's author's web site (I did a cut and paste, new
    tab to circumvent slashdot).....am I missing something here?

    Thanks again for the tips...much appreciated. :-)

  11. Re: URL confirmation

    propman schreef:

    > First time I've heard of the "slashdot effect" too....will be doing some
    > googling on this. Can't see why though accessing that particular page
    > would have anything to do with slashdot itself as the reference was
    > direct to the article's author's web site (I did a cut and paste, new
    > tab to circumvent slashdot).....am I missing something here?

    Yep, you did not cause it, a link from Slashdot's front page did.
    A quite common thing to happen when suddenly 10-thousands of people try
    to access a site near simultaneously.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect

    > Thanks again for the tips...much appreciated. :-)

+ Reply to Thread