no net after 8.10 upgrade - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on no net after 8.10 upgrade - Ubuntu ; I upgraded to 8.10 from Mythbuntu, using the update manager option. After the upgrade I can't get the network to work at all. I have three computers on a router and neither can ping the upgraded machine (trying all possible ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. no net after 8.10 upgrade

    I upgraded to 8.10 from Mythbuntu, using the update manager option.
    After the upgrade I can't get the network to work at all. I have three
    computers on a router and neither can ping the upgraded machine (trying
    all possible IP addresses on the internal net). The upgraded one can't
    ping the others. It also doesn't get an IP address from the router. The
    hardware appears ok, as if I reboot to W2000 the network is ok. Going
    through things like hosts and interfaces files doesn't show any
    differences from from the equivalents on the other machines (or on the
    same machine booted from a live CD).

    One further problem (which I suspect is not the same problem) is that the
    'problem' machine is triple booted with OpenSuse, and if I try to start
    this, I get an 'error15: file not found' message on selecting Suse from
    Grub, and hitting return.

    I've got this feeling that it must be something very simple and silly
    that's causing the problem, but I can't locate what! Any references or
    ideas for a line of investigation to get me back talking to the world?
    8-)

    Keith

  2. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I upgraded to 8.10 from Mythbuntu, using the update manager option.
    > After the upgrade I can't get the network to work at all. I have three
    > computers on a router and neither can ping the upgraded machine (trying
    > all possible IP addresses on the internal net). The upgraded one can't
    > ping the others. It also doesn't get an IP address from the router. The
    > hardware appears ok, as if I reboot to W2000 the network is ok. Going
    > through things like hosts and interfaces files doesn't show any
    > differences from from the equivalents on the other machines (or on the
    > same machine booted from a live CD).
    >
    > One further problem (which I suspect is not the same problem) is that the
    > 'problem' machine is triple booted with OpenSuse, and if I try to start
    > this, I get an 'error15: file not found' message on selecting Suse from
    > Grub, and hitting return.
    >
    > I've got this feeling that it must be something very simple and silly
    > that's causing the problem, but I can't locate what! Any references or
    > ideas for a line of investigation to get me back talking to the world?
    > 8-)

    Wired or wireless connection?

    If the latter, what output does lspci (from a terminal) give?

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:30:58 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Wired or wireless connection?
    >
    > If the latter, what output does lspci (from a terminal) give?

    Sorry - hard wired connection. (Too mean to let my neighbours used my
    connection!) 8-))

    Keith

  4. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:30:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> Wired or wireless connection?
    >>
    >> If the latter, what output does lspci (from a terminal) give?

    > Sorry - hard wired connection. (Too mean to let my neighbours used my
    > connection!) 8-))

    In which case, the output of lspci is still valid. It lets us know
    which card you have. There are a few cards that have been moved to
    backported modules for compatibility reasons.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  5. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:52:50 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:30:58 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>

    >>> Wired or wireless connection?
    >>>
    >>> If the latter, what output does lspci (from a terminal) give?

    >> Sorry - hard wired connection. (Too mean to let my neighbours used my
    >> connection!) 8-))

    > In which case, the output of lspci is still valid. It lets us know which
    > card you have. There are a few cards that have been moved to backported
    > modules for compatibility reasons.

    Herewith lspci output. I'd forgotton how much of a pain is was to move
    stuff between computers prior to a local net! Thanks goodness for a
    flashdisk 8-)

    lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 (rev c1)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 (rev
    c1)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev
    c1)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev
    c1)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev
    c1)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev
    c1)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev
    a4)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev
    a4)
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
    Controller (rev a1)
    00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
    Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev
    a3)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
    5200] (rev a1)

    Keith

  6. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith schrieb:
    > I upgraded to 8.10 from Mythbuntu, using the update manager option.
    > After the upgrade I can't get the network to work at all. I have three
    > computers on a router and neither can ping the upgraded machine (trying
    > all possible IP addresses on the internal net). The upgraded one can't
    > ping the others. It also doesn't get an IP address from the router. The
    > hardware appears ok, as if I reboot to W2000 the network is ok. Going
    > through things like hosts and interfaces files doesn't show any
    > differences from from the equivalents on the other machines (or on the
    > same machine booted from a live CD).

    Same thing here, different network adapter (Realtek RTL6168C/8111C),
    with Hardy network OK; with Intrepid (both beta and final; 32bit and
    64bit; upgrade, live CD or fresh installation) same symptoms as you
    described. See also bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/286489.
    And the graphics card doesn't work either. Very disappointing.

    lspci:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge
    (int gfx)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge
    (ext gfx port 0)
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge
    (PCIE port 0)
    00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge
    (PCIE port 1)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge
    (PCIE port 2)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA
    Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0
    Controller
    00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0
    Controller
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:14.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2
    Controller
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h
    HyperTransport Configuration (rev 40)
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h
    Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 11h Link Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN
    [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon
    HD 3400 Series
    02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD
    34xx Series]
    03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless
    Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    08:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
    (rev 05)
    08:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro
    Host Adapter (rev 22)
    08:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
    08:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host
    Adapter (rev 12)
    08:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

    Patrick

  7. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:52:50 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Sorry - hard wired connection. (Too mean to let my neighbours used my
    >>> connection!) 8-))

    >> In which case, the output of lspci is still valid. It lets us know which
    >> card you have. There are a few cards that have been moved to backported
    >> modules for compatibility reasons.

    > Herewith lspci output. I'd forgotton how much of a pain is was to move
    > stuff between computers prior to a local net! Thanks goodness for a
    > flashdisk 8-)

    > 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
    > Controller (rev a1)

    Interesting. Your network card is recognised.

    Can you post the output of
    $ ifconfig -a

    --
    "At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and
    charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the

  8. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:55:25 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Interesting. Your network card is recognised.
    >
    > Can you post the output of
    > $ ifconfig -a

    herewith ifconfig:

    ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:4690 (4.6 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:34458 (34.4 KB) TX bytes:34458 (34.4 KB)

    pan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 1e:3f:68:f9:67:9d
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

    Keith

  9. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith wrote:
    > I upgraded to 8.10 from Mythbuntu, using the update manager option.
    > After the upgrade I can't get the network to work at all. I have three
    > computers on a router and neither can ping the upgraded machine (trying
    > all possible IP addresses on the internal net). The upgraded one can't
    > ping the others. It also doesn't get an IP address from the router. The
    > hardware appears ok, as if I reboot to W2000 the network is ok. Going
    > through things like hosts and interfaces files doesn't show any
    > differences from from the equivalents on the other machines (or on the
    > same machine booted from a live CD).
    >
    > One further problem (which I suspect is not the same problem) is that the
    > 'problem' machine is triple booted with OpenSuse, and if I try to start
    > this, I get an 'error15: file not found' message on selecting Suse from
    > Grub, and hitting return.
    >
    > I've got this feeling that it must be something very simple and silly
    > that's causing the problem, but I can't locate what! Any references or
    > ideas for a line of investigation to get me back talking to the world?
    > 8-)
    >
    > Keith

    I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 on Friday, 31 Oct and immediately lost all
    network access. Over the weekend I googled the problem and found a few
    other people having lost network access also. Here is a quote from one
    person who apparently solved the problem for himself. Unfortunately, he
    doesn't state how he removed the offending update. synaptic doesn't
    list each update installed, that I'm aware of. I'm wondering if I can just

    sudo apt-get remove 0.7--svn20081004t225044-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

    to remove it. Can someone tell me how to remove updates?

    CD

    ---------

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/280142

    The 'updated' ubuntu 8.10 OS lost all internet access permanently -
    after a reboot on install of this
    network-manager_0.7--svn20081004t225044-0ubuntu1_i386.deb 'update'

    In mild frustration, and much lost time, I researched (Google'd) and
    decided the 'best shot trial' was to remove this 'update', along with
    it's Gnome front end.

    At this point normal operation, returned, and I was able to function
    normally.

  10. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:55:25 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> Interesting. Your network card is recognised.
    >>
    >> Can you post the output of
    >> $ ifconfig -a
    >>

    > herewith ifconfig:
    >
    > ifconfig -a
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:64 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:4690 (4.6 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    > Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000

    There's your problem! You have not configured any IP for your client.

    A correctly-configured adapter has the Internet address, broadcast and
    mask IPs.

    Here's an example:

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:19:90:e7:e3:c1
    inet addr:192.168.0.20 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::22e:90ef:fea7:e2c4/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1666655810 (1.5 GB) TX bytes:3366782203 (3.1 GB)
    Interrupt:222 Base address:0x8000

    Doesn't your top panel have some kind of network configuration icon
    ("Network Manager")? If so, you can easily add or change your ifconfig
    through it.

    You may also need to configure the route and /etc/resolv.conf (Network
    Manager should configure these for you).

    john@ubuntu8.04:$ route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    192.168.0.20 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth0
    default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 eth0

    I use a local (in-house) DNS server, so my actual configuration data has
    been edited to remove private domain information. I believe I have
    substituted what would be correct for a generic configuration. The above
    is from an 8.04 box because my 8.10 box is not powered up at the moment.
    Should be the same or very similar.

    Also, my configuration is for a wired Ethernet NIC and not for any WiFi
    adapter. YMMV.

    See:

    ifconfig(8)

    route(8)

    --
    John

  11. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:29:18 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:

    > There's your problem! You have not configured any IP for your client.

    As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be any option in the GUI
    networking to force the initialisation to get the IP from the router.
    I've had no problems with this on any versions, or OSs before, but as
    mentioned in the original post, pings going to the machine, or from the
    machine do not receive any response. If the machine network hadn't
    worked when rebooted to W2000 I would probably have put it down to a
    network card failure. I suppose it's still possible that something in
    the card has failed that's used by Linux and not by Win.

    I am not keen on forcing fixed IP addresses - I would guess that the
    request for the DCHP server is not being sent to the router and/or the
    reply is not getting back to Linux. I was surprised to see in the
    ifconfig that some packets are apparently being sent and received, with
    no errors logged, but there is no evidence that these packets are
    actually doing anything.

    Keith

  12. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:55:25 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> Interesting. Your network card is recognised.
    >>
    >> Can you post the output of
    >> $ ifconfig -a

    > herewith ifconfig:
    >
    > ifconfig -a
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:64 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:4690 (4.6 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    > Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000

    So. Packets sent and received, but no IP address granted. Do you have
    MAC adress filtering on your router? Isyour router set up as a DHCP
    server?

    Can you check your nm-applet and see what the settings are for
    "auto eth0"

    Right click the network icon, select "edit connections", highlight
    "auto eth0" (remove any other entries in "wired") ensure both "connect
    automatically" and "system setting" are checked. Highlight the "802.1x
    security" tab and make sure "use 802.1x blah blah" is deselected.
    Highlight the "IPV4 Settings" tab and ensure "Automatic (DHCP)" is
    selected from the drop down box.

    One other thing to look for, do you have "firestarter" or "ufw"
    running? You may have inadvertently blocked soemthing pertaining to
    you LAN from within it.

    Hopefully the above will help. If not, let us know.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  13. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:56:22 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > So. Packets sent and received, but no IP address granted. Do you have
    > MAC adress filtering on your router? Isyour router set up as a DHCP
    > server?

    No Mac address filtering, and DHCP works fine with two other machines on
    this net (and on the problem machine before the upgrade, or with 'that
    other' OS).

    > Can you check your nm-applet and see what the settings are for "auto
    > eth0"
    >
    > Right click the network icon, select "edit connections", highlight "auto
    > eth0" (remove any other entries in "wired") ensure both "connect
    > automatically" and "system setting" are checked. Highlight the "802.1x
    > security" tab and make sure "use 802.1x blah blah" is deselected.
    > Highlight the "IPV4 Settings" tab and ensure "Automatic (DHCP)" is
    > selected from the drop down box.

    both connect and system are ticked, use 801.1x is unchecked. Automatic
    DHCP is selected in the drop downs! 8-( Only strange thing is that I'm
    fairly ceratin that when I went through this panel before, the MAC addres
    on the 'wired' tab was blank. It's now got a value in it (but it may be
    my (biological) memory is faulty). Still no value for an IP in network
    manager though! In first window, auto eth0 has 'never' against it as the
    second column. Has this got any significance?

    > One other thing to look for, do you have "firestarter" or "ufw" running?
    > You may have inadvertently blocked soemthing pertaining to you LAN from
    > within it.

    Never loaded any extra firewalls or similar, other than appears
    automatically with the installs of Ubuntu. As far as I know, I haven't
    got anything running which would block things, but as the symptoms are so
    closely related to that sort of thing, I will get a list of all processes
    running and do a bit of research to make sure nothing is playing dog-in-a
    -manger!

    > Hopefully the above will help. If not, let us know.

    Sorry, no real progress! 8-(

    Keith

  14. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:29:18 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> There's your problem! You have not configured any IP for your client.
    >>

    > As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be any option in the GUI
    > networking to force the initialisation to get the IP from the router.
    > I've had no problems with this on any versions, or OSs before, but as
    > mentioned in the original post, pings going to the machine, or from the
    > machine do not receive any response. If the machine network hadn't
    > worked when rebooted to W2000 I would probably have put it down to a
    > network card failure. I suppose it's still possible that something in
    > the card has failed that's used by Linux and not by Win.
    >
    > I am not keen on forcing fixed IP addresses - I would guess that the
    > request for the DCHP server is not being sent to the router and/or the
    > reply is not getting back to Linux. I was surprised to see in the
    > ifconfig that some packets are apparently being sent and received, with
    > no errors logged, but there is no evidence that these packets are
    > actually doing anything.
    >
    > Keith

    Oh, a DHCPer, eh. I don't do DHCP, so the thought didn't cross my mind.

    If you aren't using a laptop/notebook and need DHCP for portability, and
    since you have a router and that might indicate more than one PC, you
    would be better off using a static IP configuration. That would allow
    you to always know the IP of the PCs for file sharing, etc.

    Check out the good points that Mr. Moog suggested.

    --
    John

  15. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:56:22 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> So. Packets sent and received, but no IP address granted. Do you have
    >> MAC adress filtering on your router? Isyour router set up as a DHCP
    >> server?

    > No Mac address filtering, and DHCP works fine with two other machines on
    > this net (and on the problem machine before the upgrade, or with 'that
    > other' OS).
    >>
    >> Can you check your nm-applet and see what the settings are for "auto
    >> eth0"
    >>
    >> Right click the network icon, select "edit connections", highlight "auto
    >> eth0" (remove any other entries in "wired") ensure both "connect
    >> automatically" and "system setting" are checked. Highlight the "802.1x
    >> security" tab and make sure "use 802.1x blah blah" is deselected.
    >> Highlight the "IPV4 Settings" tab and ensure "Automatic (DHCP)" is
    >> selected from the drop down box.
    >>

    > both connect and system are ticked, use 801.1x is unchecked. Automatic
    > DHCP is selected in the drop downs! 8-( Only strange thing is that I'm
    > fairly ceratin that when I went through this panel before, the MAC addres
    > on the 'wired' tab was blank. It's now got a value in it (but it may be
    > my (biological) memory is faulty). Still no value for an IP in network
    > manager though! In first window, auto eth0 has 'never' against it as the
    > second column. Has this got any significance?

    Yes. It means it's never successfully connected.

    One other thing you can check in "auto eth0" is the "routes" in "IPPV4
    Settings".
    Clear any entries out and see if you're granted an address.

    I also see you have a pan0 (bluetooth) network. I've heard of instances
    where this can mess with an ethernet connection. If you never use
    bluetooth, it could be worth completely removing any bluetooth
    package then rebooting. (Make a note of the packages just in case
    this isn't the issue. You can then re-install them)

    The other, basic thing, to check. The cable. I've lost track of the
    asmount of lost connections I've had due to a misbehaving cat5e cable.

    Failing all of that, it's possibly related to a config file or kernel
    module. That will take some serious digging.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  16. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 06:20:04 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > One other thing you can check in "auto eth0" is the "routes" in "IPPV4
    > Settings".
    > Clear any entries out and see if you're granted an address.

    Nothing in route panel.

    > I also see you have a pan0 (bluetooth) network. I've heard of instances
    > where this can mess with an ethernet connection. If you never use
    > bluetooth, it could be worth completely removing any bluetooth package
    > then rebooting. (Make a note of the packages just in case this isn't the
    > issue. You can then re-install them)

    Switched off everything that started bluetooth (not yet removed
    packages), and this has no effect after reboot.

    > The other, basic thing, to check. The cable. I've lost track of the
    > asmount of lost connections I've had due to a misbehaving cat5e cable.
    >
    > Failing all of that, it's possibly related to a config file or kernel
    > module. That will take some serious digging.

    One very strange thing I've found. After a reboot, if I right click on
    the 'monitors' icon in the task bar, and then click 'information', the
    machine has been issued an IP address by the router (10.0.0.7 in this
    case). However, if I go to 'system/network tools', the panel that give
    the eth0 IP information is completely blank. This implies to me that
    it's nothing outside the system that's causing the problems (otherwise
    the network information box wouldn't have been filled up) it's that two
    bits of the OS aren't talking to one another properly. If I knew what I
    was talking about I could file a bug report for it! 8-)

    Keith

  17. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > One very strange thing I've found. After a reboot, if I right click on
    > the 'monitors' icon in the task bar, and then click 'information', the
    > machine has been issued an IP address by the router (10.0.0.7 in this
    > case). However, if I go to 'system/network tools', the panel that give
    > the eth0 IP information is completely blank. This implies to me that
    > it's nothing outside the system that's causing the problems (otherwise
    > the network information box wouldn't have been filled up) it's that two
    > bits of the OS aren't talking to one another properly. If I knew what I
    > was talking about I could file a bug report for it! 8-)
    >
    > Keith

    Oooh. What's that rogue little bugger 10.0.0.7 doing there?

    OK
    Can you post the output of
    $ dmesg | grep eth0

    and
    $ cat /etc/network/interfaces

    and finally
    $ cat /etc/hosts

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  18. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:39:07 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Oooh. What's that rogue little bugger 10.0.0.7 doing there?
    >
    > OK
    > Can you post the output of
    > $ dmesg | grep eth0
    >
    > and
    > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > and finally
    > $ cat /etc/hosts

    Herewith the three requested outputs:

    keith@keith-desktopmyth:~$ dmesg |grep eth0
    [ 4.552811] forcedeth 0000:00:04.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 1,
    addr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    [ 53.144015] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

    keith@keith-desktopmyth:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    keith@keith-desktopmyth:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 keith-desktopmyth

    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

    The IP address is as expected - the router was set up some years ago,
    when the range 10.0.0.* was allowed as private IP addresses. The router
    is set to provide a restricted set of these addresses (3 to 12). I must
    confess that I haven't checked that the range is still 'OK', as to date
    (before the 8.10 upgrade) the network has worked faultlessly, with
    several in house computers on Win and Linux, and several 'passing' guest
    computers.

    Keith

  19. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 20:39:07 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> Oooh. What's that rogue little bugger 10.0.0.7 doing there?
    >>
    >> OK
    >> Can you post the output of
    >> $ dmesg | grep eth0
    >>
    >> and
    >> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >>
    >> and finally
    >> $ cat /etc/hosts

    > Herewith the three requested outputs:
    >
    > keith@keith-desktopmyth:~$ dmesg |grep eth0
    > [ 4.552811] forcedeth 0000:00:04.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 1,
    > addr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    > [ 53.144015] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

    OK...

    Can you do a
    $ ifconfig -a
    again?

    I would like to check the MAC address given by the "forcedeth" module
    (above) against what ifconfig is reading. I've got a feeling they may
    well be different.

    If so, we're getting there.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  20. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:57:09 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > OK...
    >
    > Can you do a
    > $ ifconfig -a
    > again?
    >
    > I would like to check the MAC address given by the "forcedeth" module
    > (above) against what ifconfig is reading. I've got a feeling they may
    > well be different.
    >
    > If so, we're getting there.

    Herewith:

    ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:311769 (311.7 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB) TX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB)
    ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:311769 (311.7 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB) TX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB)

    Both MAC addresses appear to be the same to me (I think)

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast