no net after 8.10 upgrade - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on no net after 8.10 upgrade - Ubuntu ; keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:57:09 +0000, Moog wrote: > >> >> OK... >> >> Can you do a >> $ ifconfig -a >> again? >> >> I would like to check the MAC ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:57:09 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    >> OK...
    >>
    >> Can you do a
    >> $ ifconfig -a
    >> again?
    >>
    >> I would like to check the MAC address given by the "forcedeth" module
    >> (above) against what ifconfig is reading. I've got a feeling they may
    >> well be different.
    >>
    >> If so, we're getting there.

    > Herewith:
    >
    > ifconfig -a
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:64 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:311769 (311.7 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    > Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000
    >
    > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB) TX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB)
    > ifconfig -a
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:8d:50:81:11
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:64 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:311769 (311.7 KB) TX bytes:4703 (4.7 KB)
    > Interrupt:22 Base address:0xe000
    >
    > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB) TX bytes:77955 (77.9 KB)
    >

    > Both MAC addresses appear to be the same to me (I think)

    ****. Bang goes my theory. I had a definitive solution had they been
    different.

    OK. I'm stuck. Although, I'm confident I could solve it if I was in
    front of the machine.

    Do you have a Linux User Group in your vicinity? I think one of the
    "penguin geeks" would be able to sort it for you.
    It could be worth trying
    http://www.linux.org/groups/

    You may want to check out a thread regarding the forcedeth module for
    any potential clues

    The other thing you may want to do is revisit the nm-applet "IPV4 Tab
    and enter a static IP in your range and see if that works.

    Sorry. I've tried. I'm out of ideas. :-(

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  2. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    John F. Morse schrieb:
    > keith wrote:
    >> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:29:18 -0600, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>
    >>> There's your problem! You have not configured any IP for your client.
    >>>

    >> As far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be any option in the GUI
    >> networking to force the initialisation to get the IP from the router.
    >> I've had no problems with this on any versions, or OSs before, but as
    >> mentioned in the original post, pings going to the machine, or from
    >> the machine do not receive any response. If the machine network
    >> hadn't worked when rebooted to W2000 I would probably have put it down
    >> to a network card failure. I suppose it's still possible that
    >> something in the card has failed that's used by Linux and not by Win.
    >>
    >> I am not keen on forcing fixed IP addresses - I would guess that the
    >> request for the DCHP server is not being sent to the router and/or the
    >> reply is not getting back to Linux. I was surprised to see in the
    >> ifconfig that some packets are apparently being sent and received,
    >> with no errors logged, but there is no evidence that these packets are
    >> actually doing anything.

    > Oh, a DHCPer, eh. I don't do DHCP, so the thought didn't cross my mind.
    >
    > If you aren't using a laptop/notebook and need DHCP for portability, and
    > since you have a router and that might indicate more than one PC, you
    > would be better off using a static IP configuration. That would allow
    > you to always know the IP of the PCs for file sharing, etc.

    If this is the same bug that I am experiencing (see my other posting in
    this thread) then neither DHCP nor manually assigning an IP will work
    since the network module for Realtek seems to be broken in 8.10 (I don't
    know whether this is also true for nvidia).

    Patrick

  3. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:39:56 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Do you have a Linux User Group in your vicinity? I think one of the
    > "penguin geeks" would be able to sort it for you. It could be worth
    > trying
    > http://www.linux.org/groups/
    >
    > You may want to check out a thread regarding the forcedeth module for
    > any potential clues
    >
    > The other thing you may want to do is revisit the nm-applet "IPV4 Tab
    > and enter a static IP in your range and see if that works.
    >
    > Sorry. I've tried. I'm out of ideas. :-(

    Many thanks for the help - if nothing else my learning curve has been
    accelerated upwards much more quickly than I would have managed on my own.

    I think the nearest LUG is at the other end of the county - I've got
    their web address bookmarked, so I'll go to check if there are any
    'splinters' a bit closer (this county's around 100 miles long!)

    I'll continue with the other suggestions, and will post if I manage to
    make any breakthroughs.

    Thanks again.

    Keith

  4. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:00:56 +0100, Patrick Schueller wrote:

    > If this is the same bug that I am experiencing (see my other posting in
    > this thread) then neither DHCP nor manually assigning an IP will work
    > since the network module for Realtek seems to be broken in 8.10 (I don't
    > know whether this is also true for nvidia).
    >
    > Patrick

    I haven't seen anything about a bug (might have missed Realtek as I was
    looking for nvidia). I suspect this is true for nvidia for the reasons
    in previous posts, but my level of knowledge makes me uncertain as to
    what I can do to 'prove' it before reporting it as a bug. I suspect I'll
    waste a few more hours trying to sort it out before reverting to 8.04, to
    sort all my other problems out! 8-)

    Keith

  5. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:00:56 +0100, Patrick Schueller wrote:
    >

    >> If this is the same bug that I am experiencing (see my other posting in
    >> this thread) then neither DHCP nor manually assigning an IP will work
    >> since the network module for Realtek seems to be broken in 8.10 (I don't
    >> know whether this is also true for nvidia).
    >>
    >> Patrick

    > I haven't seen anything about a bug (might have missed Realtek as I was
    > looking for nvidia). I suspect this is true for nvidia for the reasons
    > in previous posts, but my level of knowledge makes me uncertain as to
    > what I can do to 'prove' it before reporting it as a bug. I suspect I'll
    > waste a few more hours trying to sort it out before reverting to 8.04, to
    > sort all my other problems out! 8-)
    >
    > Keith

    Perhaps googling "forcedeth nvidia realtek" may throw up a solution or
    two.

    Worth a try.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  6. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Keith

    No problem at all Keith. I'm just sorry I couldn't sort it for you.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  7. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    "Moog" wrote in message

    > OK. I'm stuck. Although, I'm confident I could solve it if I was in
    > front of the machine.

    have you noticed the odd mtu figures? 64 bytes is a bit short for eth0

  8. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    dennis@home illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >

    >> OK. I'm stuck. Although, I'm confident I could solve it if I was in
    >> front of the machine.

    > have you noticed the odd mtu figures? 64 bytes is a bit short for eth0

    Hi Dennis. no I hadn't.

    Keith, open your nm-applet, edit the connection again and check to see
    if the MTU box is set to "Automatic". If not, set it.

    Dennis may well have spotted something, although I doubt this would
    stop the DHCP server giving out an address, but it's possible.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  9. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:33:28 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >> have you noticed the odd mtu figures? 64 bytes is a bit short for eth0

    > Hi Dennis. no I hadn't.
    >
    > Keith, open your nm-applet, edit the connection again and check to see
    > if the MTU box is set to "Automatic". If not, set it.
    >
    > Dennis may well have spotted something, although I doubt this would stop
    > the DHCP server giving out an address, but it's possible.

    Just checked it - it is already set to automatic.

    Note that I'm certain that the DHCP server is allocating the IP address -
    right clicking on the nm-applet and hitting 'connection information' give
    me an IP address. However, if I go to system/network tools, the ethernet
    interface (eth0) panel is completely blank. I would assume that once the
    IP address had been accepted, the later should have been 'filled in'.

    Keith

  10. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:23:50 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 00:00:56 +0100, Patrick Schueller wrote:
    >>

    >>> If this is the same bug that I am experiencing (see my other posting
    >>> in this thread) then neither DHCP nor manually assigning an IP will
    >>> work since the network module for Realtek seems to be broken in 8.10
    >>> (I don't know whether this is also true for nvidia).
    >>>
    >>> Patrick

    >> I haven't seen anything about a bug (might have missed Realtek as I was
    >> looking for nvidia). I suspect this is true for nvidia for the reasons
    >> in previous posts, but my level of knowledge makes me uncertain as to
    >> what I can do to 'prove' it before reporting it as a bug. I suspect
    >> I'll waste a few more hours trying to sort it out before reverting to
    >> 8.04, to sort all my other problems out! 8-)
    >>
    >> Keith

    > Perhaps googling "forcedeth nvidia realtek" may throw up a solution or
    > two.
    >
    > Worth a try.

    This turned up acres of text about problems - half the world seems to
    have problems! One possible solution was a driver that had been
    developed for freeBSD, but I don't think I have sufficient neck to try
    compiling and installing that!

    Following a discussion about how one person was considering getting a new
    motherboard, I suddenly had a brain wave (proving there must be something
    hiding in there somewhere! 8). I dug out an old network card and fitted
    it into the box. Booted up - full network access!

    I think after the hours spent on this, it will be a case of 'if it works,
    don't fix it'. Not solved the problem, but it's an effective work-
    around. Now to try and get my DVB box working with Myth!

    Many thanks to yourself and Patrick for your time.

    Keith

  11. Re: no net after 8.10 upgrade

    keith illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Following a discussion about how one person was considering getting a new
    > motherboard, I suddenly had a brain wave (proving there must be something
    > hiding in there somewhere! 8). I dug out an old network card and fitted
    > it into the box. Booted up - full network access!

    Wow. There's always a simple soluton. ;-)

    > Many thanks to yourself and Patrick for your time.

    NP

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2