Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume - Ubuntu ; I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on this machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes Intrepid to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work unless I reboot. I've ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on this
    machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes Intrepid
    to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work unless I reboot.

    I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but no joy.

    For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb" from
    the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list, but it still
    doesn't work.

    I tried unplugging/replugging.
    I tried a different port.

    Any suggestions?

    --
    Dale Beckett

  2. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Dale Beckett illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on this
    > machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes Intrepid
    > to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work unless I reboot.
    >
    > I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but no joy.
    >
    > For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb" from
    > the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list, but it still
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > I tried unplugging/replugging.
    > I tried a different port.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    lsusb is a list command. It simply lists devices that are attached to
    usb ports. It does nothing other than that.

    If you are having problems with suspend/resume then it usually down
    to the machine. Specifically the "acpi" section of the linux kernel
    being incomaptible with the BIOS of your PC. This happens a lot with
    linux and laptops.

    One suggestion woud be to append your boot stanza with acpi=off and
    see if that works

    A howto (written better than I could probably do it) is contained
    here

    http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/...arameters.html

    HTH

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Dale Beckett wrote:

    > I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on
    > this machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes
    > Intrepid to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work unless
    > I reboot.
    >
    > I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but no
    > joy.
    >
    > For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb"
    > from the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list, but
    > it still doesn't work.
    >
    > I tried unplugging/replugging.
    > I tried a different port.

    Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dale Beckett wrote:
    >>
    >> I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on
    >> this machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes
    >> Intrepid to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work unless
    >> I reboot.
    >>
    >> I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but no
    >> joy.
    >>
    >> For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb"
    >> from the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list, but
    >> it still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> I tried unplugging/replugging.
    >> I tried a different port.

    > Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    With all due respect Mark, that's not an answer. I've had acpi issues
    that won't recognise PS/2 connected mice and keyboards.

    Bloody closed source BIOS instructions are difficult to work around.
    Windows, FWIW, has numerous BIOS acpi issues too.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  5. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Dale Beckett wrote:
    >>> I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on
    >>> this machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes
    >>> Intrepid to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work unless
    >>> I reboot.
    >>>
    >>> I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but no
    >>> joy.
    >>>
    >>> For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb"
    >>> from the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list, but
    >>> it still doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> I tried unplugging/replugging.
    >>> I tried a different port.

    >> Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    > With all due respect Mark, that's not an answer. I've had acpi issues
    > that won't recognise PS/2 connected mice and keyboards.
    >
    > Bloody closed source BIOS instructions are difficult to work around.
    > Windows, FWIW, has numerous BIOS acpi issues too.

    My reply was half in jest -- Dale and I are acquainted from elsewhere.
    Although it wouldn't hurt to try a PS/2 mouse. Regardless, I'm sure
    he'll try your solution -- he never listens to me.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  6. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    >> With all due respect Mark, that's not an answer. I've had acpi issues
    >> that won't recognise PS/2 connected mice and keyboards.
    >>
    >> Bloody closed source BIOS instructions are difficult to work around.
    >> Windows, FWIW, has numerous BIOS acpi issues too.

    > My reply was half in jest

    I had a feeling that was the case. ;-)

    > Dale and I are acquainted from elsewhere.

    Keep your perversions to yourself.

    > Although it wouldn't hurt to try a PS/2 mouse.

    Quite true.

    > Regardless, I'm sure he'll try your solution -- he never listens to me.

    And who can blame him?

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  7. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> With all due respect Mark, that's not an answer. I've had acpi issues
    >>> that won't recognise PS/2 connected mice and keyboards.
    >>>
    >>> Bloody closed source BIOS instructions are difficult to work around.
    >>> Windows, FWIW, has numerous BIOS acpi issues too.

    >> My reply was half in jest

    > I had a feeling that was the case. ;-)
    >
    >> Dale and I are acquainted from elsewhere.

    > Keep your perversions to yourself.
    >
    >> Although it wouldn't hurt to try a PS/2 mouse.

    > Quite true.
    >
    >> Regardless, I'm sure he'll try your solution -- he never listens to me.

    > And who can blame him?

    ROTFL

    --
    Dale Beckett

  8. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> Regardless, I'm sure he'll try your solution -- he never listens to me.

    > And who can blame him?

    He caught on quick.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  9. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Dale Beckett wrote:
    >>
    >> I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10 on
    >> this machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse causes
    >> Intrepid to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't work
    >> unless I reboot.
    >>
    >> I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but
    >> no joy.
    >>
    >> For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb"
    >> from the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list, but
    >> it still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> I tried unplugging/replugging.
    >> I tried a different port.

    > Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    I'm using a PS-2 mouse now, but what's the fun in that? To wake up the
    machine I have to actually reach down and push the power button.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  10. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Moog wrote:
    > []
    > lsusb is a list command. It simply lists devices that are attached to
    > usb ports. It does nothing other than that.

    I thought so, but it was listed in bug reports as "solved."

    > If you are having problems with suspend/resume then it usually down
    > to the machine. Specifically the "acpi" section of the linux kernel
    > being incomaptible with the BIOS of your PC. This happens a lot with
    > linux and laptops.

    My laptop is working fine with Intrepid. It's my desktop that's misbehaving.

    > One suggestion woud be to append your boot stanza with acpi=off and
    > see if that works

    Well, that worked so well that it removed the Standby option entirely.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  11. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Dale Beckett wrote:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >> Dale Beckett wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I was delighted to find that Suspend/Resume finally works with 8.10
    >>> on this machine, but my joy was short-lived. Moving the USB mouse
    >>> causes Intrepid to wake up as expected, but then the mouse doesn't
    >>> work unless I reboot.
    >>>
    >>> I've searched the forums and tried any suggestions I found there, but
    >>> no joy.
    >>>
    >>> For instance, one bug report said that the answer was to run "lsusb"
    >>> from the CL, but that did nothing. It shows my mouse on the list,
    >>> but it still doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>> I tried unplugging/replugging.
    >>> I tried a different port.

    >> Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    > I'm using a PS-2 mouse now, but what's the fun in that? To wake up the
    > machine I have to actually reach down and push the power button.

    Poor baby.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  12. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Dale Beckett wrote:
    >> Mark Warner wrote:

    >>> Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.

    >> I'm using a PS-2 mouse now, but what's the fun in that? To wake up
    >> the machine I have to actually reach down and push the power button.

    > Poor baby.

    Yeah, I thought so.

    Actually I think it's a USB thing. I just saw my external hub quit after
    resuming. This is more serious, and more manly than the mouse thing.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  13. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Dale Beckett wrote:

    > Actually I think it's a USB thing. I just saw my external hub quit
    > after resuming. This is more serious, and more manly than the mouse thing.

    Over my head. You'll likely get good advise here, though. Might post
    over at Steve's place, too. I'll try not to badger you too much.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  14. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume SOLVED

    Mark Warner wrote:
    > Dale Beckett wrote:
    >>
    >> Actually I think it's a USB thing. I just saw my external hub quit
    >> after resuming. This is more serious, and more manly than the mouse
    >> thing.

    > Over my head. You'll likely get good advise here, though. Might post
    > over at Steve's place, too. I'll try not to badger you too much.

    Well, the problem is solved, sorta.
    After trying a zillion different things with no success, it finally occurred
    to me to try a different USB mouse. Guess what? It works.
    The first mouse was a Logitech that I've used for several years with several
    OSs and it has always worked perfectly. Not only does it *not* work with
    Intrepid, but it takes the whole USB system down after a resume. That's
    just weird.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  15. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume SOLVED

    Dale Beckett dale@invalid.invalid wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > ... I've used for several years with several OSs ....

    Several years, Oh my!, change it, don't be such a tight ... :-)

  16. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume SOLVED

    Antonio Perez wrote:
    > Dale Beckett dale@invalid.invalid wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> ... I've used for several years with several OSs ....

    > Several years, Oh my!, change it, don't be such a tight ... :-)

    Ha! I changed a $60 mouse for a $20 mouse, and now it works. Go figure.

    --
    Dale Beckett

  17. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.
    >>

    > With all due respect Mark, that's not an answer. I've had acpi issues
    > that won't recognise PS/2 connected mice and keyboards.
    >
    > Bloody closed source BIOS instructions are difficult to work around.
    > Windows, FWIW, has numerous BIOS acpi issues too.

    Moogster, are you a girly-mon in-hiding?

    --
    John

  18. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume SOLVED

    In Dale Beckett:

    [Snip...]

    > it takes the whole USB system down after a resume

    FWIW and as Moog et al indicated, USB is just one of several "issues" with
    ACPI generally. In my case, if I suspend SuSE 10.0 on a Compaq Deskpro and
    leave a USB stickdrive in place, trying a resume locks that entire machine
    (not just USB) so hard only a complete powerdown gets its atttention.

    (BTW, haven't tried this suspend situation with HH 8.04 yet)

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  19. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Use a PS/2 mouse? USB mouses (mice?) are for girly-men.
    >>>

    >> With all due respect Mark, that's not an answer. I've had acpi issues
    >> that won't recognise PS/2 connected mice and keyboards.
    >>
    >> Bloody closed source BIOS instructions are difficult to work around.
    >> Windows, FWIW, has numerous BIOS acpi issues too.

    > Moogster, are you a girly-mon in-hiding?

    No. I'm English. A Scouse Englishman at that. ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  20. Re: Intrepid - no USB mouse after resume SOLVED

    Dale Beckett illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Antonio Perez wrote:
    >> Dale Beckett dale@invalid.invalid wrote previously in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> ... I've used for several years with several OSs ....

    >> Several years, Oh my!, change it, don't be such a tight ... :-)
    >>

    > Ha! I changed a $60 mouse for a $20 mouse, and now it works. Go figure.

    Heh. Well, that would have been my next piece of advice. ;-)