NAS automount before/after Hardy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on NAS automount before/after Hardy - Ubuntu ; Not a problem, but... I have a NAS which remains a pain to access, except from Windows. BUT... Pre Hardy it was a pain, but with Hardy, it started to automount, with an icon on the Desktop, and all was ...

  1. NAS automount before/after Hardy

    Not a problem, but...

    I have a NAS which remains a pain to access, except from Windows.
    BUT...

    Pre Hardy it was a pain, but with Hardy, it started to automount, with
    an icon on the Desktop, and all was fine.

    Then with Intrepid that stopped, and all is a pain again.

    It bugs me enough to mention it, if only out of curiosity...

    Probably me; it generally is...

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies

  2. Re: NAS automount before/after Hardy

    Mark wrote:
    > Not a problem, but...
    >
    > I have a NAS which remains a pain to access, except from Windows.
    > BUT...
    >
    > Pre Hardy it was a pain, but with Hardy, it started to automount, with
    > an icon on the Desktop, and all was fine.
    >
    > Then with Intrepid that stopped, and all is a pain again.
    >
    > It bugs me enough to mention it, if only out of curiosity...
    >
    > Probably me; it generally is...

    You need to put an entry for it in your fstab.
    Do a "man fstab" and "man mount".

  3. Re: NAS automount before/after Hardy

    In message
    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    > > Not a problem, but...
    > >
    > > I have a NAS which remains a pain to access, except from Windows.
    > > BUT...
    > >
    > > Pre Hardy it was a pain, but with Hardy, it started to automount, with
    > > an icon on the Desktop, and all was fine.
    > >
    > > Then with Intrepid that stopped, and all is a pain again.
    > >
    > > It bugs me enough to mention it, if only out of curiosity...
    > >
    > > Probably me; it generally is...
    > >

    > You need to put an entry for it in your fstab.
    > Do a "man fstab" and "man mount".

    Indeed so; and that is as things were, and still are, through
    upgrades, rather than new installs.

    I was mildly surprised when Hardy placed a /filesystem/ icon on the
    desktop (for a private nas share, but not the public, equally entered
    in fstab); and surprised when Intrepid removed it (or maybe never put
    it there in the first place). Surprising also that this didn't happen
    with two other Ub computers on the LAN...

    This was in addition to desktop links to mount points, not
    replacements. I appreciated it :-)

    The "pain" with the nas is that it is temperamental (as was its twin),
    but seemed it was not so with Hardy and its desktop icon. Wishful
    thinking maybe...

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies