Ubuntu 8.10 hard drive question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 8.10 hard drive question - Ubuntu ; Hi, I plan on buying this external hard drive in about a month: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136282 Does ubuntu support external hard drives?? This HDD uses raid. -Thanks! PS I've only been using ubuntu for about 2 months now, so sorry for the ...

  1. Ubuntu 8.10 hard drive question

    Hi,

    I plan on buying this external hard drive in about a month:

    Does ubuntu support external hard drives?? This HDD uses raid.

    -Thanks!

    PS I've only been using ubuntu for about 2 months now, so sorry for the
    noob question! :-)

  2. Re: Ubuntu 8.10 hard drive question

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 17:37:32 +0000, Nathan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I plan on buying this external hard drive in about a month:

    > Does ubuntu support external hard drives?? This HDD uses raid.
    >
    > -Thanks!
    >
    > PS I've only been using ubuntu for about 2 months now, so sorry for the
    > noob question! :-)

    I do not think you are going to have any trouble with this drive, though
    I personally have not used it under Ubuntu.

    But there are a couple of things that might help you to change your mind.

    1. Right now you can buy this drive directly from WD for the price of
    $229.99. That is cheaper than buying it from NewEgg. :-)

    2. A couple of months ago I bought 2 WD 640GB drives for $73 (they were
    on sale) each from NCIX. A bought also a 2 bay Vantec USB external
    enclosure for $50. So, the total was below $200. And the total capacity
    was quite a bit over 1T.

    I set the drives running software RAID 1 (that is mirroring) without any
    problems. Plus I have a freedom at any point to switch back from RAID
    and to start using the drives any other way I want, in case I choose so.

    - I have 3 years warranty on each drive
    - I have a freedom to open a case at any time in case of a drive
    failure.

    Thus I always can attempt either to recover my data on a drive or to
    erase any sensitive data before sending it to a manufacturer.

    - I would be able to continue using one of the drives while waiting for
    the failed drive replacement. While in your case you will have to sent
    to the manufacturer the entire unit if one of the drives fails.

    Thus I personally do not see a point buying such a thing.

    Though I might have your reasons and ideas.

+ Reply to Thread