X is dead - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on X is dead - Ubuntu ; "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0." I rebooted, and this happened. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. X is dead

    "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."

    I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    that did nothing.

    I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.

    Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    machine! :-(

    TIA

  2. Re: X is dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Cork Soaker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    > seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    > Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."
    >
    > I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    > that did nothing.
    >
    > I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    > machine! :-(
    >
    > TIA

    Look for "EE" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if that offers a clue.

    --
    There can be no twisted thought without a twisted molecule.
    -- R. W. Gerard

  3. Re: X is dead

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    > seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    > Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."

    Also tried "apt-get purge xserver-xorg gdm" and "apt-get install
    xserver-xorg gdm" and this has achieved nothing either.

    Logging in and "startx" under root works fine.

    This is idiotic, and this is where linux fails badly, with stupid
    problems like this.

    I still prefer it over Windows (as it happens, the Windows partition
    won't load because I installed a SATA driver, so that's hopeless too).

  4. Re: X is dead

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    >> seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    >> Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."

    > Also tried "apt-get purge xserver-xorg gdm" and "apt-get install
    > xserver-xorg gdm" and this has achieved nothing either.
    >
    > Logging in and "startx" under root works fine.
    >
    > This is idiotic, and this is where linux fails badly, with stupid
    > problems like this.
    >
    > I still prefer it over Windows (as it happens, the Windows partition
    > won't load because I installed a SATA driver, so that's hopeless too).

    Actually, I think you'll someday discover that it is Cork Soaker who
    fails badly. Now I didn't go as far as to call you "stupid," so don't
    flame me.

    See if you are requesting a resolution where you don't have enough video
    memory to support.

    --
    John

  5. Re: X is dead

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    >> seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    >> Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."

    > Also tried "apt-get purge xserver-xorg gdm" and "apt-get install
    > xserver-xorg gdm" and this has achieved nothing either.
    >
    > Logging in and "startx" under root works fine.

    Just a thought....login config file(s) corrupted?

    > I still prefer it over Windows (as it happens, the Windows partition
    > won't load because I installed a SATA driver, so that's hopeless too).

    If you have time, can you expand on this comment a bit....thanks! :-)

  6. Re: X is dead

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Look for "EE" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if that offers a clue.

    (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
    (EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
    (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.

    That's it, means nothing to me. :/

  7. Re: X is dead

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    >>> seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    >>> Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."

    >> Also tried "apt-get purge xserver-xorg gdm" and "apt-get install
    >> xserver-xorg gdm" and this has achieved nothing either.
    >>
    >> Logging in and "startx" under root works fine.
    >>
    >> This is idiotic, and this is where linux fails badly, with stupid
    >> problems like this.
    >>
    >> I still prefer it over Windows (as it happens, the Windows partition
    >> won't load because I installed a SATA driver, so that's hopeless too).

    > Actually, I think you'll someday discover that it is Cork Soaker who
    > fails badly. Now I didn't go as far as to call you "stupid," so don't
    > flame me.
    >
    > See if you are requesting a resolution where you don't have enough video
    > memory to support.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=The...ient=firefox-a

    Yeah right, that's why there's loads of solutions from helpful people
    like you.

    The resolution is fine, Kubuntu loads the greeter, but goes no further.

  8. Re: X is dead

    propman wrote:

    >> Logging in and "startx" under root works fine.

    > Just a thought....login config file(s) corrupted?

    That doesn't sound like it will be an easy fix. Where and what are the
    login config files? Thanks

    >> I still prefer it over Windows (as it happens, the Windows partition
    >> won't load because I installed a SATA driver, so that's hopeless too).

    > If you have time, can you expand on this comment a bit....thanks! :-)

    Windows is horse's arse. I installed the SATA driver "specifically
    designed for my system" and now it doesn't boot. Well, it does, but if
    I try using the keyboard, the mouse and keyboard lock up, rendering the
    machine useless, as one should expect from an operating system that
    costs over a hundred dollars.

    I prefer Linux, but there's a distinct pain in the arse when something
    like this happens.
    Might be time to give Intrepid a shot after all!

  9. Re: X is dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Cork Soaker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> Look for "EE" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if that offers a clue.

    > (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
    > (EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
    > (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
    >
    > That's it, means nothing to me. :/

    Yeah, Google ain't too helpful so far with this one.

    You said you rebooted, then the problem kicked in. Did you do a kernel
    upgrade before the reboot?

    --
    Bunker's Admonition:
    You cannot buy beer; you can only rent it.

  10. Re: X is dead

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Cork Soaker belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> Look for "EE" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if that offers a clue.

    >> (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
    >> (EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
    >> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
    >>
    >> That's it, means nothing to me. :/

    > Yeah, Google ain't too helpful so far with this one.
    >
    > You said you rebooted, then the problem kicked in. Did you do a kernel
    > upgrade before the reboot?

    No, I wish there was, that would at least give me a clue.

    I still have the -19 kernel installed, that has the same problem.

    Gutsy Live CD has no problems, so hopefully that's an indication that my
    graphics card isn't dying.

  11. Re: X is dead

    Am Mon, 03 Nov 2008 00:29:15 +0000 schrieb Cork Soaker:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> Look for "EE" messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if that offers a
    >> clue.

    > (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
    > (EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID. (EE) RADEON(0): [dri]
    > DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
    >
    > That's it, means nothing to me. :/

    Try
    Option "DRI" "false"
    in the device section in your xorg.conf.

    Worked for me.

    --Till

    --
    The Bro Code - Article 16:
    A Bro should be able, at any time, to recite the following reigning champions:

  12. Re: X is dead

    Till Potinius wrote:

    > Try
    > Option "DRI" "false"
    > in the device section in your xorg.conf.
    >
    > Worked for me.

    Didn't work here. :-(

  13. Re: X is dead

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    > seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    > Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."
    >
    > I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    > that did nothing.
    >
    > I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    > machine! :-(
    >
    > TIA

    Caveat: I'm NOT a Linux/Ubuntu expert, not even close.
    Have you run xorgconfig? Does Ubuntu use xorgconfig or xorg -config?
    Probably need to look at the man pages for one of these.

    Beege

  14. Re: X is dead

    beege wrote:

    > Caveat: I'm NOT a Linux/Ubuntu expert, not even close.
    > Have you run xorgconfig? Does Ubuntu use xorgconfig or xorg -config?
    > Probably need to look at the man pages for one of these.

    Yup, tried that a while back.

  15. Re: X is dead

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:22:06 +0000,
    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    > seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    > Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."
    >
    > I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    > that did nothing.
    >
    > I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    > machine! :-(

    From a console (CTRL+ALT+F1):
    sudo apt-get --purge remove {g,k,k4,x}dm
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop # substitude kdm, xdm or k4dm as
    ## appropriate, this will probably kill all xservers, removing
    ## the dessktop managers should have done this already.
    sudo killall X # Try to kill any remaining Xservers (probabably
    ## stated with startx or xinit)
    sudo killall -9 X # Force kill any remaining Xservers
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow # Reset xorg to vanilla,
    ## lo-res screen.
    sudo apt-get install gdm # or favorite destop manager

    Basically, make sure X isn't running by stopping gdm which relaunches
    X, and then kill all instances of X, reset xorg to use default values
    and reinstall gdm to run X.

    The killalls shouldn't be required, and you shouldn't need to
    uninstall/reinstall gdm, but if you don't install {g,k,k4,x}dm you
    need to restart services by hand, or 'sudo telinit S' followed by
    'telinit 5'. (reboot should work fine)

    Reconfiguring xorg should eliminate any invalid extensions, this
    should allow you to get to a graphical logon screen, it may not be
    pretty, but it should do in a pinch.

    I haven't played with this in a while. BTW, you do NOT want to
    substitute aptitude for apt-get.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- Lyle

  16. Re: X is dead

    On 2008-11-03, beege wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    >> seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    >> Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."
    >>
    >> I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    >> that did nothing.
    >>
    >> I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    >> machine! :-(
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Caveat: I'm NOT a Linux/Ubuntu expert, not even close.
    > Have you run xorgconfig? Does Ubuntu use xorgconfig or xorg -config?
    > Probably need to look at the man pages for one of these.

    X11 log is under /var/log/Xorg*
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  17. Re: X is dead

    Michael C. wrote:
    > From a console (CTRL+ALT+F1):
    > sudo apt-get --purge remove {g,k,k4,x}dm
    > sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop # substitude kdm, xdm or k4dm as
    > ## appropriate, this will probably kill all xservers, removing
    > ## the dessktop managers should have done this already.
    > sudo killall X # Try to kill any remaining Xservers (probabably
    > ## stated with startx or xinit)
    > sudo killall -9 X # Force kill any remaining Xservers
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow # Reset xorg to vanilla,
    > ## lo-res screen.
    > sudo apt-get install gdm # or favorite destop manager
    >
    > Basically, make sure X isn't running by stopping gdm which relaunches
    > X, and then kill all instances of X, reset xorg to use default values
    > and reinstall gdm to run X.
    >
    > The killalls shouldn't be required, and you shouldn't need to
    > uninstall/reinstall gdm, but if you don't install {g,k,k4,x}dm you
    > need to restart services by hand, or 'sudo telinit S' followed by
    > 'telinit 5'. (reboot should work fine)
    >
    > Reconfiguring xorg should eliminate any invalid extensions, this
    > should allow you to get to a graphical logon screen, it may not be
    > pretty, but it should do in a pinch.
    >
    > I haven't played with this in a while. BTW, you do NOT want to
    > substitute aptitude for apt-get.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Michael C.

    Thanks Michael, but that didn't work either.

    I'm fairly sure there are permissions set incorrectly somewhere. There
    are no reasons for the permissions to have changed, but that certainly
    seems to be the problem.

    startx works fine under root, so I can't see it being a config problem.

    What it is, however, is a massive pain in the arse.

  18. Re: X is dead

    > I'm fairly sure there are permissions set incorrectly somewhere.

    From ~/.xsession-errors

    Xsession: X session started for cork at Mon Nov 3 01:27:23 GMT 2008
    tempnam: Permission denied
    Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:05 GMT 2008
    tempnam: Permission denied
    Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:20 GMT 2008
    tempnam: Permission denied

  19. Re: X is dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Cork Soaker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
    >>> (EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
    >>> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
    >>>
    >>> That's it, means nothing to me. :/

    >> Yeah, Google ain't too helpful so far with this one.
    >>
    >> You said you rebooted, then the problem kicked in. Did you do a kernel
    >> upgrade before the reboot?

    > No, I wish there was, that would at least give me a clue.
    >
    > I still have the -19 kernel installed, that has the same problem.
    >
    > Gutsy Live CD has no problems, so hopefully that's an indication that my
    > graphics card isn't dying.

    Maybe see if you can find some differences in the logs for the Live CD
    versus the installed distro?

    Bleh, eh?

    Take heart though, looking through my own Xorg log, I saw that GLX was
    xorg-dev headers were installed first, then run the binary Nvidia installer
    (my preferred method, even if not the ubuntu/debian way) again. So at least
    I solved /my/ "problem" .

    It's actually kind of fun (in some sick sense, anyway) to cruise through
    your logs looking for things to fix. I remember looking and find a bunch of
    attempts to login via ssh. Cool.

    --
    Appendix:
    A portion of a book, for which nobody yet has discovered any use.

  20. Re: X is dead

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Michael C. belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > sudo apt-get --purge remove {g,k,k4,x}dm
    > sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop # substitude kdm, xdm or k4dm as
    > ## appropriate, this will probably kill all xservers, removing
    > ## the dessktop managers should have done this already.
    > sudo killall X # Try to kill any remaining Xservers (probabably
    > ## stated with startx or xinit)
    > sudo killall -9 X # Force kill any remaining Xservers
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -plow # Reset xorg to vanilla,
    > ## lo-res screen.
    > sudo apt-get install gdm # or favorite destop manager
    >

    > I haven't played with this in a while. BTW, you do NOT want to
    > substitute aptitude for apt-get.

    You mean in the commands above, or in general?

    --
    We seldom repent talking too little, but very often talking too much.
    -- Jean de la Bruyere

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast