X is dead - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on X is dead - Ubuntu ; Cork Soaker wrote: > "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 > seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on. > Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0." > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: X is dead

  1. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    > seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    > Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."
    >
    > I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    > that did nothing.
    >
    > I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    > machine! :-(
    >
    > TIA



    After an enormous fanny-on, ****-about or whatever offensive phrase you
    wish to throw out there, this was the solution:

    "sudo chmod 1777 /tmp"

    Oh yes, that one-liner has solved the problem!
    For reasons unknown my /tmp had lost it's sticky bit.
    Problem resolved.

    I now have an Intrepid desktop, as it happens, as I even tried that to
    solve the problem!

    Two days wasted.

    Time for a drink I think.


  2. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    How did you figure that out?

    i

    On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90
    >> seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on.
    >> Waiting for 2 minutes before again on display :0."
    >>
    >> I rebooted, and this happened. I have tried recovery option "Fix X" but
    >> that did nothing.
    >>
    >> I've ran fsck which corrected two inode_blocks, but made no difference.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want to be reinstalling my
    >> machine! :-(
    >>
    >> TIA

    >
    >
    > After an enormous fanny-on, ****-about or whatever offensive phrase you
    > wish to throw out there, this was the solution:
    >
    > "sudo chmod 1777 /tmp"
    >
    > Oh yes, that one-liner has solved the problem!
    > For reasons unknown my /tmp had lost it's sticky bit.
    > Problem resolved.
    >
    > I now have an Intrepid desktop, as it happens, as I even tried that to
    > solve the problem!
    >
    > Two days wasted.
    >
    > Time for a drink I think.
    >


    --
    Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    more readers you will need to find a different means of
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    > How did you figure that out?


    From ~/.xsession-errors

    Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:20 GMT 2008
    tempnam: Permission denied

    And then
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2871.0

    Google saved the day after all!

  4. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    >> How did you figure that out?

    >
    > From ~/.xsession-errors
    >
    > Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:20 GMT 2008
    > tempnam: Permission denied
    >
    > And then
    > http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2871.0
    >
    > Google saved the day after all!


    Great troubleshooting!

    --
    Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    more readers you will need to find a different means of
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Cork Soaker belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    > After an enormous fanny-on, ****-about or whatever offensive phrase you
    > wish to throw out there, this was the solution:
    >
    > "sudo chmod 1777 /tmp"
    >
    > Oh yes, that one-liner has solved the problem!
    > For reasons unknown my /tmp had lost it's sticky bit.
    > Problem resolved.
    >
    > I now have an Intrepid desktop, as it happens, as I even tried that to
    > solve the problem!
    >
    > Two days wasted.


    Well, at least you won't forget about /that/ one!

    > Time for a drink I think.


    Then again, maybe you will!

    One like that that got me was when Debian updates archive files caused my
    /var to fill up. Took me awhile to figure it out!

    --
    The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
    -- Mark Twain

  6. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    > On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    >>> How did you figure that out?

    >> From ~/.xsession-errors
    >>
    >> Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:20 GMT 2008
    >> tempnam: Permission denied
    >>
    >> And then
    >> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2871.0
    >>
    >> Google saved the day after all!

    >
    > Great troubleshooting!
    >


    I tried everything else...

    Are you trying to be clever?

  7. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    >> On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    >>>> How did you figure that out?
    >>> From ~/.xsession-errors
    >>>
    >>> Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:20 GMT 2008
    >>> tempnam: Permission denied
    >>>
    >>> And then
    >>> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2871.0
    >>>
    >>> Google saved the day after all!

    >>
    >> Great troubleshooting!
    >>

    >
    > I tried everything else...
    >
    > Are you trying to be clever?


    No, I was trying to compliment.
    --
    Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    more readers you will need to find a different means of
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Cork Soaker belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>
    >> After an enormous fanny-on, ****-about or whatever offensive phrase you
    >> wish to throw out there, this was the solution:
    >>
    >> "sudo chmod 1777 /tmp"
    >>
    >> Oh yes, that one-liner has solved the problem!
    >> For reasons unknown my /tmp had lost it's sticky bit.
    >> Problem resolved.
    >>
    >> I now have an Intrepid desktop, as it happens, as I even tried that to
    >> solve the problem!
    >>
    >> Two days wasted.

    >
    > Well, at least you won't forget about /that/ one!


    Certainly not! Worth knowing though...

    >
    >> Time for a drink I think.

    >
    > Then again, maybe you will!


    Hope so! :-D

    >
    > One like that that got me was when Debian updates archive files caused my
    > /var to fill up. Took me awhile to figure it out!
    >


  9. Re: X is dead *SOLVED*

    Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    > On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    >>> On 2008-11-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>>> Ignoramus14339 wrote:
    >>>>> How did you figure that out?
    >>>> From ~/.xsession-errors
    >>>>
    >>>> Xsession: X session started for cork at Tue Nov 4 11:57:20 GMT 2008
    >>>> tempnam: Permission denied
    >>>>
    >>>> And then
    >>>> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2871.0
    >>>>
    >>>> Google saved the day after all!
    >>> Great troubleshooting!
    >>>

    >> I tried everything else...
    >>
    >> Are you trying to be clever?

    >
    > No, I was trying to compliment.


    Ah, it's hard to tell. :-P

    TY then.

    I'm fairly amazed at how "skoal" managed to jump straight to the
    solution. I guess when you've seen it happen once, you never forget!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2