Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ? - Ubuntu ; I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good condition. It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have also searched ...

  1. Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
    condition.

    It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

    I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
    also searched other places and still can't find any.

    I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in the past when I have
    put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow it to run
    properly and I am probably not bright enough to go delving into computer
    language to alter files

    Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu or anything else
    successfully ?

    Advice most welcomed

    James

  2. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:12:21 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

    > I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
    > good condition.

    What is the capacity of your RAM and hard disk? The speed of that P3?

    We need that in order to make sensible recommendations

  3. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    the_constructor wrote:
    > I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very good
    > condition.
    >
    > It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached
    >
    > I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I have
    > also searched other places and still can't find any.
    >
    > I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in the past when I have
    > put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow it to run
    > properly and I am probably not bright enough to go delving into computer
    > language to alter files
    >
    > Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu or anything else
    > successfully ?
    >
    > Advice most welcomed
    >
    > James

    Years ago, when the GX150 was new, we installed a bunch of machines with
    Red Hat - and it worked out of the box.

    Not a massive help, but there's one distro that worked fine.

  4. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    the_constructor wrote:

    > I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
    > good condition. .. It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

    It's probably similar to my old 650mHz P3, with a 40GB drive and 256MB
    of ram. The 'label' won't stop you from trying Ubuntu. :-)

    > I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I
    > have also searched other places and still can't find any.

    Normally, any "Windows XP" third-party software will work with Windows
    2000. Win2K is version 5.0, and XP is version 5.1

    > I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in the past when
    > I have put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't
    > allow it to run properly and I am probably not bright enough to go
    > delving into computer language to alter files

    Were these problems with laptops? I've never had an issue installing a
    current Ub on common desktop boxes. Several friends will attest to this
    .

    > Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu or anything else
    > successfully ?

    My P3 runs fine as a dual-boot with Win2K and Ubuntu 6.06. Download and
    burn a copy of 6.06 LTS, and run it as a LiveCD to try it out.

    --
    -bts

  5. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:12:21 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

    > I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
    > good condition.
    >
    > It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached
    >
    > I have looked on ebay for Windows 2000 software but can't find any. I
    > have also searched other places and still can't find any.
    >
    > I am seriously thinking of putting Ubuntu on it, but in the past when I
    > have put it on other PC's there has always been issues that don't allow
    > it to run properly and I am probably not bright enough to go delving
    > into computer language to alter files
    >
    > Anyone got one of these machines and runing Ubuntu or anything else
    > successfully ?
    >
    > Advice most welcomed
    >
    > James

    www.9software.com has Win2000

    I have an old inspiron that runs ubuntu 8.04 without any issues.

  6. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

  7. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    I have an old Dell Latitude c610 P3 that is running Hardy just fine.
    Loaded booted up and no problems.
    caver1

  8. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    David Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> My P3 runs fine as a dual-boot with Win2K and Ubuntu 6.06. Download
    >> and burn a copy of 6.06 LTS, and run it as a LiveCD to try it out.

    > 6.06? Why 6.06?

    Merely suggested because that's what I am (have been) running and I know
    it works peachy keen. I use the box so seldom, I've no plans to upgrade
    it anytime soon.

    But, as caver1 suggests, give 8.04, or even 8.10, a try. If it works,
    super!

    --
    -bts

  9. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    Nico wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:12:21 +0000, the_constructor wrote:
    >
    >> I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
    >> good condition.
    >>
    >> It has a Windows 2000 COA label attached

    <...bobbit...>

    I have an old Digital HiNote 166MH with 96MB RAM running Intrepid.
    -- Not fast by any means, but OK for Telnet or SSH in dire straits.

    Your only problem might be unrecognized HW

    --
    Mike R.
    http://alpha.mike-r.com/

    --

  10. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    "David Marshall Lemcoe Jr." wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> My P3 runs fine as a dual-boot with Win2K and Ubuntu 6.06.
    >> Download and burn a copy of 6.06 LTS, and run it as a LiveCD
    >> to try it out.

    > 6.06? Why 6.06?

    I suspect because it is a long term support version. However its
    support will be running out next year, and 8.04 is the replacement
    for it (also a long term version). So I would recommend getting
    and mounting 8.04.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  11. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    With old computers designed for Windows 2000, you do not have any
    choice besides Linux. To avoid trouble, do not at first try anything
    special and use ptience and ask here for help. I have an old POS
    laptop designed for '2000, it runs Ubuntu just fine.

  12. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    "Derek Turner" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:12:21 +0000, the_constructor wrote:
    >
    >> I have an old Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 computer. Nice machine, in very
    >> good condition.

    > What is the capacity of your RAM and hard disk? The speed of that P3?
    >
    > We need that in order to make sensible recommendations

    RAM = 512Mb
    Hard drive = 20Gb
    Processor = 866/256/133/107V

    Any more infor required ?

    James

  13. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 08:00:09 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

    > RAM = 512Mb
    > Hard drive = 20Gb
    > Processor = 866/256/133/107V
    >
    > Any more infor required ?
    >
    > James

    No. Your machine has sufficient 'grunt' and space for a fully working,
    fully-featured version of ubuntu: it will fly along.

    For a windows-friendly, hand-holdy, less-to-do-to-get-things-working
    version I have no hesitation in recommending linuxMint Elyssa (based on
    ubuntu 8.04 LTS) the version code is 5r1 (version five, revision 1). You
    can download it from here:

    www.linuxmint.com

    and navigate to the downloads page. Use the torrent if you are able
    but the download servers shouldn't be too busy at this time of the
    release-cycle if you are stuck with ftp or http.

    The CD is a 'live' bootable fully-working OS (though very slow as it's
    highly compressed. If you can set your BIOS to boot from the CD you can
    try it live to see if you like it. Just double-click the 'install' icon
    if you do.

    I'm presuming you want to delete windows altogether? If so use manual
    partitioning and make four partitions. Assign 1Mb swap-space (twice your
    RAM) and 6Gb to '/' [think C:\Windows] where the OS will reside. Assign a
    5Gb partition to
    '/user/' [think C:\Program Files] for your programs and the rest to
    '/home' [think C:\Documents and Settings] for your documents and settings.

    You can, of course simply assign the whole drive to '\' (this is the
    default auto setting) and it will work fine, but my recommendations allow
    you to upgrade the OS while leaving your programs and setting etc. intact.

    You can, of course, shrink the windows partition (provided there's room)
    and dual-boot instead. In that case you'll need to make '/user/' and
    'home' smaller and risk running out of space - but this being linux you
    can always expand them later if you change your mind!

    Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of linuxmint.

  14. Re: Where Can I Obtain or What Do You Suggest ?

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:37:52 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 08:00:09 +0000, the_constructor wrote:
    >
    >> RAM = 512Mb
    >> Hard drive = 20Gb
    >> Processor = 866/256/133/107V
    >>
    >> Any more infor required ?
    >>
    >> James

    > No. Your machine has sufficient 'grunt' and space for a fully working,
    > fully-featured version of ubuntu: it will fly along.
    >
    > For a windows-friendly, hand-holdy, less-to-do-to-get-things-working
    > version I have no hesitation in recommending linuxMint Elyssa (based on
    > ubuntu 8.04 LTS) the version code is 5r1 (version five, revision 1). You
    > can download it from here:
    >
    > www.linuxmint.com
    >
    > and navigate to the downloads page. Use the torrent if you are able
    > but the download servers shouldn't be too busy at this time of the
    > release-cycle if you are stuck with ftp or http.
    >
    > The CD is a 'live' bootable fully-working OS (though very slow as it's
    > highly compressed. If you can set your BIOS to boot from the CD you can
    > try it live to see if you like it. Just double-click the 'install' icon
    > if you do.
    >
    > I'm presuming you want to delete windows altogether? If so use manual
    > partitioning and make four partitions. Assign 1Mb swap-space (twice your
    > RAM) and 6Gb to '/' [think C:\Windows] where the OS will reside. Assign
    > a 5Gb partition to
    > '/user/' [think C:\Program Files] for your programs and the rest to
    > '/home' [think C:\Documents and Settings] for your documents and
    > settings.
    >
    > You can, of course simply assign the whole drive to '\' (this is the
    > default auto setting) and it will work fine, but my recommendations
    > allow you to upgrade the OS while leaving your programs and setting etc.
    > intact.
    >
    > You can, of course, shrink the windows partition (provided there's room)
    > and dual-boot instead. In that case you'll need to make '/user/' and
    > 'home' smaller and risk running out of space - but this being linux you
    > can always expand them later if you change your mind!
    >
    > Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of linuxmint.

    sorry, insufficient caffeine when I posted, make that:

    '/'
    '/usr'
    and '/home' throughout

    each is available from the drop-down menu

+ Reply to Thread